Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This is a classic case of Thomas Cook's ignorance at their customer-facing end. They think that by stating their Terms & Conditions, ...

They will either ignore you completely, contact you with an offer to settle, or reply rejecting your claim giving a reason. If they reject your claim & provide a reason, don't take their word for it - post details back on here or do some more research into the reason behind the re-scheduling. Airlines have perfected the art of being as economical with the truth as possible until they find themselves faced with a court summons, at which point they have to tell the whole truth.

Did you keep your tickets / boarding passes?
    Me thinks you are too generous. Outright lies are not uncommon.......
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • I submitted a claim to Thomas Cook for a family holiday flight delay from Spain to Manchester. This was refused as I did not have the tickets or boarding cards. However I did have a reply on Thomas Cook e mail from complaint we as soon as we returned where they apologised for the delay but still they would not accept this as proof we were on the flight and said they did not recognise the reference numbers on the e mail that they sent. Any advice as to where to go next?.
  • DrA_Harrogate
    DrA_Harrogate Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Certainly! First read Vauban's fantastic guide (internet search) to see if your delay qualifies. As you suspect, TC's waffle about boarding cards etc is just that and a delaying tactic as TC will have passenger manifests, so if you conclude that compensation is due fire off a NBA letter (you will know know what NBA means when you read the guide) and prepare either for Court action yourself or a NWNF lawyer. You may also care to visit a legal website e.g. Bott to see if your flight qualifies.

Post any further questions to the Thomas Cook thread please as it helps keep the place tidy. These days many airlines coff up when they see the claimant is well-informed and determined, so make it so.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cresw0524 wrote: »
    I submitted a claim to Thomas Cook for a family holiday flight delay from Spain to Manchester. This was refused as I did not have the tickets or boarding cards. However I did have a reply on Thomas Cook e mail from complaint we as soon as we returned where they apologised for the delay but still they would not accept this as proof we were on the flight and said they did not recognise the reference numbers on the e mail that they sent. Any advice as to where to go next?.

Assuming you are in England or Wales, you have 6 years to make a court claim so bear that in mid if you are anywhere close to that.
  • siskyline
    siskyline Posts: 27 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello I was looking for advice if im able to claim for this cancellation with Thomas cook.

I was in las vegas (LAS) travelling to manchester (MAN)

The plane number was MT 125 or TCX 125

On the 15th of may 2016

We where at the airport and was told the plane was cancelled with no explantion. Told to get our bags and hop on a bus.

The flight was rescheduled for the same time the next day (24 delay). When we checked in the next day there was a letter saying that it was due to a technical fault and the reason given was the plane struck the air bridge while taxiing into the gate.

On the plane the pilot was keen to point of the bridge was not in the correct place and due to the gound crew not seeing it caused the crash. Which sounds like TC are not wanting to take the blame for the delay.

The flight number was the same on both days but it was clearly two different planes as one had the blue TC brand on the wing and tail where as the second plane was the grey branding.

I was wondering if TC are still at fault and if there is a claim under the EU laws?

Im going to fill in the form tonight for a claim but was unaure how far I can push it or to expect nothing back.

If anyone wants to see the docs that TC gave out after the delay i can attach them here.
  • So the incoming plane hit an airbridge and it was the bridge's fault? On the face of it you have a valid claim so do the following - check on websites e.g. Botts to see if your flight is listed, then arm yourself with a vat of coffee and read and digest Vauban's guide (web search if necessary). If you have further q's after that ask away otherwise it's a NBA letter followed by diy court action (easier than it sounds) or a nwnf lawyer.
  • My daughter suffered a long delay(12hrs) from Manchester to Ibiza in June 2012 travelling on an 18-30's holiday with Thomas Cook. No real reason was given at the time for the delay, it just kept getting put back and were told "they would be on the next plane" but then that plane got commandered for another delayed flight etc. She was never offered any refreshments by Thomas Cook or much in the way of any help at all. Neither of us held out much hope of getting any compensation and it took us ages to find her original flight no. But....lo and behold, within 48hrs of putting a claim in online, she had a reply that it was being looked at. About 3 weeks later she was sent a voucher for £500! More than the original cost of the holiday, so we thought she had done quite well. We didn't think to ask for it to be exchanged for a cheque, probably should have done when I have now read other posts! Anyway her voucher was valid for a year, so her and her boyfriend have now booked flights with inflight meals & frills etc. to the cost of £499. Maybe we were just lucky, I suspect so...... but I hope this helps anyone else trying to claim back some compensation.
  • DIYBaldyman
    DIYBaldyman Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    siskyline wrote: »
    Hello I was looking for advice if im able to claim for this cancellation with Thomas cook.

On the 15th of may 2016

We where at the airport and was told the plane was cancelled with no explantion. Told to get our bags and hop on a bus.

The flight was rescheduled for the same time the next day (24 delay). When we checked in the next day there was a letter saying that it was due to a technical fault and the reason given was the plane struck the air bridge while taxiing into the gate.

On the plane the pilot was keen to point of the bridge was not in the correct place and due to the ground crew not seeing it caused the crash. Which sounds like TC are not wanting to take the blame for the delay.

The flight number was the same on both days but it was clearly two different planes as one had the blue TC brand on the wing and tail where as the second plane was the grey branding.

I was wondering if TC are still at fault and if there is a claim under the EU laws?

Im going to fill in the form tonight for a claim but was unaure how far I can push it or to expect nothing back.

If anyone wants to see the docs that TC gave out after the delay i can attach them here.

Hi,

The answer is simply YES, Thomas Cook are at fault. They had ample opportunity to book you onto an alternative flight or to provide a replacement aircraft sooner than the 24 hours, but made an operational decision not to. That decision was entirely within their control.

Interesting point you made above that the damage was caused whilst the aircraft was taxiing into the gate. If the aircraft was still on it's previous flight & still had passengers on board waiting to disembark, then the damage was caused to an earlier flight which therefore makes your delay a 'knock-on'. That means that even if the way in which the damage was caused was considered to be 'extraordinary-circumstances' (which, given the explanation it really shouldn't be), Thomas Cook cannot use that incident as a reason not to pay compensation on later delayed flights.

Download & read Vauban's guide - take particular note of the Huzar & Wallentin judgements (technical problems / extraordinary-circumstances) & the Finnair judgement (knock-on's).

Then decide whether you want to tackle Thomas Cook yourself or use a NWNF lawyer. To be honest with your case it's probably well worth going alone - fill in their online claim form to get a reference, once you receive their reply (which will inevitably tell you it was a technical issue & therefore not subject to compensation), write a NBA to Thomas Cook's legal department (I've posted it several times, or search "Thomas Cook Airlines Legal Department Law Society listing" on Google.

Good luck, will be interesting to see how things develop.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    SUCCESS THROUGH PERSEVERANCE.
    Flight delays - Vauban's Guide has been of immense help - please read it before posting questions - I'll be surprised if your answers aren't in there.
    April 2016 - successfully claimed €1600 from Thomas Cook for 6 hour delay in August 2015
    Old debt passed to collection agency? Issue CCA request & possibly have debt rendered unenforceable. Feb 2021 - £42 of old debt legally written off & cost £1 per account.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 May 2016 at 2:55PM
    siskyline wrote: »

On the 15th of may 2016

Here is a photo of the damage courtesy of Airliners.net

http://www.airliners.net/ufview.file?id=1429&filename=1463417285Tt2WJK.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6697330/
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • siskyline
    siskyline Posts: 27 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Thank you all for the comments.

I have read the Vauban guide and will study the cases in more detail as advised.

My main worry is if TC can pass the blame off to the ground crew as they are the ones guiding the plane in, but in my mind feel that the pilot would mantain a duty of care over the craft.

TC have already placed this as a technical fault. In a printed statement that was given out at the check in desk.

I can't see a way to attach jpegs here so have linked to my dropbox the letters I got if anyone was interested in having a peak.

dropbox.com/sh/0p2xiavz7iyuvvu/AABOeJt9746wCoFB7GElqwGWa?dl=0

In one letter it confirms a strike with the air-bridge and the second one just puts it down as a technical fault for the insurance claim.

I did check out Botts and filled their claim inquiry and it saysthat there is a claim available on the info provided.

I am unsure to take the challange on my own, this is the first time this has happened to me and my partner and both have not set foot in a court room :D

I have my documents together so will put the complaint in with the TC website now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure