PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any ideas?

Hello everyone!

So after whats been an up and down year or so I am back. (Have been a part of the forum or a good while, but have forgotten my log in details and had to make a new account! :( )

I really need to get back on track with meal planning and getting our spending habits back under control!

I have just done a freezer inventory and quite frankly I am horrified at how much stuff is just lurking in the back of the freezer and has been forgotten about! Makes me wonder how much money has been spent for it just to linger there!!

So my question to you lovely lot is how to use some of the bits I have found. I have more tins, herbs, spices than you can shake a hairy stick at so that isnt an issue.

The sticking points are;

Whole duck
2 packs of beef skirt - 2.2kg total
Pork leg - 1.9kg
Breast of lamb
Beef fillets - 2 @ 1.4kg each (got them for £8 each at a local market! Seemed like a good idea at the time!!)

Usually I wouldn't really have an issue with coming up with meal ideas but for some reason I seem to be hitting a wall and can't think of anything to match the warmer weather!

We are a family of 3, eat pretty much everything, don't have any allergies.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Jess
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life ... until I go and buy something!

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    JButler wrote: »

Whole duck
    2 packs of beef skirt - 2.2kg total
    Pork leg - 1.9kg
    Breast of lamb
    Beef fillets - 2 @ 1.4kg each

Defrost & joint the duck, roast the legs & shred for Chinese duck salad or wraps; roast the breasts for a Sunday lunch.

Pork leg - defrost, roast, slice & freeze for salads / other meals, also make the gravy to go with it ;)

Breast of lamb - I roast this like belly pork, then pull off the meat. Nigella does a scrummy shredded lamb & hummous dish.

Beef fillets - defrost when you're entertaining, and do the Hairy Bikers Tuscan Steak Salad - it's delish! Also, they were SUCH a bargain, I am very jealous!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Best advice I can think of is, (apart from the delicious recipes posted above) buy only things you have literally run out of.

I too have an over-full freezer, and this month have not been near a shop as yet to buy anything as I am living out of my freezer/food cupboards.

Imagine you have been marooned somewhere in the middle of nowhere and cannot get to a shop, and what you would use up instead :)

Tonight I have had a small salad with a chicken breast I dug out of the freezer, and I sprinkled some cajun spices on it and wrapped in foil and cooked in my remoska.I also salvaged a slightly sprouty spud and dug the sprouty bits out :) and m'waved it then crisped the skin up for 10 minutes along with the chicken in the 'moska .

Tomorrows brunch will be half a tin of left over baked beans and a couple of sausages and a scrambled egg.I go to my DDs for sunday dinner late afternoon so my left over bits will do me fine for a 'brunch type meal.

its so easy to fill the freezer up with odds and ends then forget they are there ,that is good money sitting in a cold box !!!

JackieO xx
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you Google Hairy Bikers braised steak there's a great recipe for using your skirt of beef. I always add mushrooms as well as onions. They suggest having it with chips which is delicious but it works just as well with roasties and veg. The gravy is amazing!
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Skirt of beef makes the best pasties!

The lamb I would be tempted to defrost and slow cook...it will possibly fall apart, but should be beautiful...especially if slowcooked with redcurrant jelly and a good slosh or three of red wine!
  • JButler
    JButler Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you for your replies! Finally managed to get the meal plan done for the coming month so hopefully we will be able to see bottom of the freezer again soon!
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life ... until I go and buy something!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure