PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cleaning grout

Comments

• thanks for the advice tycoon what type of mixture shall i use
  • No measurements needed really but roughly half a tub (the supermarket 'Supercook' tubs from the baking aisle) of bicarb needs to be wetted with enough bleach to make it gloopy enough to brush on but not run off.

Bleach works pretty well by itself but it will run off, bicarb will clean a lot of things also by itself but if you put the 2 ingredients together they work perfectly.

Keep your windows open as it will smell for a while and perhaps I should have said use a dead toothbrush not a current one!
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can also use Soda Crystals - clean walls tiles with a regular solution (half a cup to one pint) it also brings new life to grouting too.

Or you could try what I've done in my kitchen, the grouting was a greyish colour so painted it with a cheap white emulsion, looks ok and saved regrouting with white grout.
  • You can also buy grout pens frm B&Q, just draw on the grout, comes up pretty good.
  • You could also try putting buttermilk on a cotton bud and applying it to the grout :)
    I'm an American living in Oxford using the exchange rate to my advantage. (As of 4 Oct 2006: 1USD=1.88GBP)

Debts at highest November 2004: $29,464.51 _pale_

26 June 2006: Down to $17,701.27
    Private Student Loan: $3,073.61 (7.83%)
    US Federal Student Loan: $14,627.66 (5.3%)

4 October 2006: Down to $11,622.66
    Private Student Loan: PAID IN FULL!
    US Federal Student Loan: $11,622.66 (5.38%)

Debt Free Date: 27 September 2007, my 25th birthday!
    :dance:_party_:dance:
  • has anybody any tips to clean all of the scum off tiles and the get the grout nice and clean again, got to do it tomorow and want to make life as easy as pos.

many thanks
  • Ronankfan
    Ronankfan Posts: 707 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    have you tried baking soda?? Dampen area then sprinkle on soda then leave for a few minutes then use some elbow grease and rub off.
    HTH
  • i usually just use bleach and a cheapy toothbrush to give it a good scrub ;)
    debt in june 06:£6290:rolleyes:
    july 1st 06 : £5247.70
    july 20th 06 £4867:T
    hope to be debt free by : july 2007at the latest:D

dfw grocery challenge 20/07-20/08 £240
    spent so far - £75.57_____£164.43 left
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Bicarb of soda or borax should help, make a thick paste and rub on, leave for an hour or so, and rince off.
    Catherine x
  • pickle
    pickle Posts: 611 Forumite
    domestos if nothing else works
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business