paying builder upfront !!

Options
13»

Comments

• cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The amount we paid weekly was based on what he had done that week, so it varied. That way, the guys he used got paid at the end of the week. If not much happened on site that week, he did not get paid much.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    I managed to get a builder from rated people . I had 3 quotes .
    The third person was the one . Brilliant guy .
    How I pay him , is I pay into his account when requested .
    £600 here, £800 there etc. He did my bathroom , half of the kitchen and is now fitting wardrobes , drawers and sideboards .
    When I pay, I go to my bank and they know his name, sort code etc and know straight away when I request a payment to his account .

One of the other guys wanted 25% upfront and another 25% the following week , so I didn't think he was right
    The first guy was saying I could pay cash so that I don't pay v a t .
    Again, I didn't feel right doing so.
    The o p job is obviously more costly than mine but the guy he is using doesn't fill me with confidence either .
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sam1970 wrote: »
    There is nothing bespoke but he is not happy to buy material on his account. I offered to pay for the material directly but he declined.

Sounds fishy.

Check the Companies House website if he is a limited company, or the insolvency service website if he is a sole trader.

https://www.gov.uk/search-bankruptcy-insolvency-register
  • Annie1960
    edited 2 July 2017 at 8:45PM
    Options
    sam1970 wrote: »
    No..he is not. I had quotes from 4 different builders and all of them will not do contracts. It seems a common practice. Actually two of them refused the job when I insisted on a contract

This is the problem with the construction industry, there is no regulation.

For a £100k contract you should seriously consider using an architect to oversee the work and payment schedule.

Also make sure he has public liability insurance (and the same goes for any subcontractors).

Info here on choosing a builder:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/getting-home-improvements-done/before-you-get-building-work-done/
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    This is the problem with the construction industry, there is no regulation.

For a £100k contract you should seriously consider using an architect to oversee the work and payment schedule.

Also make sure he has public liability insurance (and the same goes for any subcontractors).

Info here on choosing a builder:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/getting-home-improvements-done/before-you-get-building-work-done/

You're like a broken record, give it a rest.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    You're like a broken record, give it a rest.

If you don't like my posts then don't read them. My comments were directed towards the OP, not you. Why don't you block my posts if you don't want to read them?

You seem to be trying to censor me, and you are sounding like a broken record yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure