Furniture purchase nightmare

Options
My husband and I have been saving for our dream house for 10 long years - not only saved money for the deposit etc. but also for some new furniture to make the house look and feel exactly how we wanted after living in a part-furnished house for years.
Bought the new house, moved in and ordered from various companies:

-a wardrobe - arrived with all 6 knobs missing

-a chest of drawers - arrived with 1 drawer front missing

-2 beds - missed delivery date as driver couldn't be bothered to call me and ask for directions, better to lie and say no on in while in fact I took day off work to take the delivery!

-another chest of drawers - supposedly delivered but in fact missing on delivery; re-ordered and delivered damaged! so still waiting for it!

The worst is:
-waiting times on some of the customer services line are a joke!
-once you get through they don't even say sorry for making their mistake
-you are likely to be transferred couple of times before you get to someone willing to speak to you
-or given a different number to call

I'm so so disappointed, I get no joy or excitement from the whole experience, in fact I don't even want to shop more.
Some of the furniture we bought from the store and the manager was so nice and caring and all, now I rang him and he hardly spoke to me although I'm 100% he remembers me cause of my unusual surname and the fact that we spoke couple of times re the missing chest of drawers.

The problems we have had are with well established retailers. Goods ordered from relatively new or smaller businesses arrived promptly and we're pleased with them....

Comments

• AleksandraK
    Options
    Just received another delivery - ordered an extra large tv unit, received a small one!! This is unbelievable. The driver won't take it back until he speaks to his boss and his boss is not picking up the phone!
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just received another delivery - ordered an extra large tv unit, received a small one!! This is unbelievable. The driver won't take it back until he speaks to his boss and his boss is not picking up the phone!

Don't sign for it and leave it outside. Write on his paperwork "refused delivery".
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If I'm near, I like to browse in a Heart Foundation Furniture Shop. While somethings, you think are old - and seen better days, others I think - that's really nice. Some items get listed on ebay.

For an MSE shopper it is an option, and within days it could be in your home.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sympathise with OP. From bitter experience I find it better to pay a little more for good service. I avoid those retailers who sub-contract delivery.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you going to name and shame these companies so others may avoid ?
  • AleksandraK
    AleksandraK Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 June 2017 at 11:33PM
    Options
    https://www.thefurnituremegastore.co.uk/ is one of them
    This is the one that delivered a wrong tv unit on 13.06.2017
    The driver went and I rang the shop to let them know I need this to be exchanged for the one I ordered. After lots of 'bloody hells' and huffing and puffing from the shop manager he said he will need to see if my item is in stock. Waited a day or two for him to call but eventually rang him again to be told in is in stock and to leave him with it as now he needs to arrange a courier. Another few days gone, no phone call whatsoever, rang him again and advised courier will be in the area on Friday (23.06) and the driver will contact me before the delivery. Needless to say, no contact from the driver so on Friday morning I rang the shop again to be told I misunderstood him and no delivery was scheduled for Friday!!
    At this point I started to lose my patience, I said to the man I need this big box with tv unit I didn't order gone from my living room as soon as possible! He again promised to call me the very next day morning and he didn't although when I rang him in the afternoon he said he tried to reach me but no answer (and surprisingly no missed calls on my phone, what an unfortunate mystery)
    Finally, he managed to arrange the delivery for SUNDAY (yesterday)
    I said to him does he know it's unusual to do deliveries on Sunday , I don't want to be stuck at home with the kids waiting for something and it doesn't appear - he pledged to call me should there be any issues!
    Guess what - no delivery, no shop manager at the shop so when I rang them I shouted at an innocent man on the phone.
    New delivery date - Wednesday :eek: :angry:

I don't want to store this tv unit anymore, I don't even want the correct one anymore.

Edit:
    Another phone call made this afternoon only to find out that the manager had an accident in the morning and apparently he is the only person who can sort out the collection/delivery. I just need to wait for him to be back and he will call me 100% ...
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks like he lost his ebay account
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/sofa-savvy-ltd
  • AleksandraK
    Options
    Hi,

Can anyone advise on what do to with the furnituremegastore.co.uk issue, please?
    The wrong tv unit still has not been collected from me and I'm still waiting for the one I ordered to be delivered!

I contact the shop every single day but this is getting me nowhere. The manager is rude and unwilling to help as if it was my fault that the swap need to be done. I was able to speak to him today and yesterday and was told that the previous delivery dates were missed because quote: 'I was off. When I'm off I don't work'. No apology for not letting me know that the delivery was not going to happen and I needn't to sit and wait for it at home!!

I went onto their website chat yesterday and asked about the unit I ordered and was told it's out of stock so not sure what he plans to deliver to me this time and when.

This has been ongoing for over two weeks now and I am fed up waiting for this to be solved. I need my money back and the wrong item removed from my house.
    What would be the next step apart from contacting the shop? It's actually taking me ages to get through to them and I suspect they see and recognise my number and simply ignore me when I call.
    Thank you in advance.
    Alex
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Can anyone advise on what do to with the furnituremegastore.co.uk issue, please?
    The wrong tv unit still has not been collected from me and I'm still waiting for the one I ordered to be delivered!
    How did you pay?

Providing that it was on a credit or debit card, I would suggest that you contact the card issuer and explain exactly what has happened and request a chargeback.
    This should get you your money back (hopefully) and whilst it won't get rid of the unwanted item you currently have, the store owner may be more interested in collecting it once they realise that you have been refunded.

Then I would buy from a more trustworthy retailer.
  • AleksandraK
    edited 29 June 2017 at 11:08AM
    Options
    I paid by credit card.

This morning I rang them again (16 times from my mobile and eventually had to use a different phone number as weren't picking up) and was told that they are unable to deliver the correct item.
    They will arrange for the courier to collect the wrong one from me but when?? I said I want this gone from my house by 3pm tommorow and was told I'm being very awkward demanding this and I just know it's going to be another few weeks before I get rid of the box!
    I'm going to speak to the bank tommorow as they also refuse to refund me until they finally manage to do the collection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure