PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homeade Fabric Conditioner

I'm new to this site, and have noticed several comments about homemade fabric conditioner and unfortunately do not know where to start in how to make my own - help!! :j

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Welcome angela :wave:

You can do several different things re fabric conditioner. You can just add neat distilled vinegar to your fabric conditioner drawer (this is what I usually do) as the vinegar smell doesn't stay on your clothes. If you do want a smell of something, you can add some essential oils to the vinegar (add into the vinegar bottle not necessarily the drawer as EO's are very strong)

However, if you want to make up a fabric conditioner then add 1 cup vinegar to 1 cup bicarb (watch out, this fizzes up) and add 2 cups water and a few drops of EO's to your choice. I have done this in the past and it does smell great but IMO, plain vinegar is as good.

HTH

TM
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Just got back from checking the Save Zillions on Cleaning in our Indexed Collections to find I've been beaten to it.

Nothing to add :)

Harumph! :D
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Seconding white vinegar, makes clothes nice and soft and clean, and they certainly dont smell of a chip shop!
  • Thank you Ticklemouse, will try the vinegar and EO method to see how I get on (as I have a very fussy husband!!)

Cheers

:beer:
  • Does anyone have any suggestions to which EO I could use as I don't want to waste money on the wrong kinds

;)
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Lavender oil would be a good one as it smells nice and is very cheap.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I used to use eucalyptus oil in mine - I liked the fresh smell and that is cheap too from chemists. Just over a £1 a bottle.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Lavender is £2.19 for a 20ml bottle in Holland and Barret at the moment, as part of their less than half price sale, down from £6-something. That should last a while. I also use Orange oil, quite cheap!
  • misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Orange oil smells gorgeous.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    For anyone with fussy kids or husband - put the homemade mix in an empty fabric conditioner bottle - if you do not tell them then they will never notice.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills