Overpayment conundrums

Options
So posting here in the hope of some advice. I have read the guide regarding the overpayments tho the queries I have arent covered unfortunately

Now please note no debt aside from mortgage and 6 months of net salary saved with addition OMG fund if the boiler etc. where to go. As per the guide on the site.

Now I was paying a student loan off which I have since done so I transferred that figure into an overpayment on my mortgage. Whilst buying the house had budgeted for the student loan.

So I save additional funds saved at the end of each month.

There are 3 options open to me as I see it after speaking to my mortgage provider RBS.

1. Put the money into the mortgage immediately. Note this does not shorten term of the mortgage or alter the repayments. I was told this just increases my capital.
  2. I save up a couple of months make a payment of over £1000.00 I can ask for a recalculation of repayments.
  3. I save up a couple of months make a payment of over £2000.00 The recalculation happens automatically.

Note I am on a fixed term for 2 years which is up in October 2019. Being fully aware interest rate will not stay this low, I am keen to increase the capital and reduce the borrowing.

I am unsure as to which of the above options I should take. Thanks for advice in advance

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'd personally go for option 1 - int will (I guess) be calculated on daily balance, so the sooner you get money in, the sooner your daily interest charged will be smaller and the more of your monthly payment will be going to capital repayment.

You can always ask for a recalc of your monthly payments anyway, once you have made some smaller repayments - especially once they've totalled over the 1k (really can't see why this would be a problem - it wasn't a problem 20+ years ago, and banking systems are much improved since then! :D)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I AGRee with GreenT- if you can pay earlier in smaller amounts I would always choose that so the interest is reducing quicker :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,282 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Not all mortgages do decrease interest other than once a year or if you make a capital repayment.
    So I would make a capital repayment.
    Just my thoughts.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greent
    Options
    The vast majority of RBS mtge loans now have interest calculated daily. A small percentage do still have (historic?) annual int calculations
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • Chillysauce
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]So upon digging this is not clear and RBS contradict themselves:-

From RBS site I have the link saved.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]How do overpayments affect my mortgage? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If you have spare funds that you'd like to put towards your mortgage, then overpayments can be a great way to do this.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Overpayments help to reduce the balance of your mortgage, in addition to your normal monthly payments. As they help to reduce the balance, you will therefore pay less interest. This is how overpayments can help to save you money.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It's important to note that overpayments do not reduce the term of your mortgage. This can only be done if you contact us to make an application.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Overpayments greater than or equal to £1,000 in a one off lump sum will automatically re-calculate your normal monthly payments to a lower figure.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Overpayments which are less than £1,000 will not affect the amount of your normal monthly payment, even where you make a number of overpayments that are each less than £1,000 but together add up to more than £1,000.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now paragraph 1 is contradicted by paragraph 4. So unless you make a payment of over one thousand pound you aren't saving yourself any money. Or I am I misreading that.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I agree the point made regarding the comment in the thread of the daily rate. But then when do they recalculate.[/FONT]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]. So unless you make a payment of over one thousand pound you aren't saving yourself any money. Or I am I misreading that.

Yes, you are mis reading that.

You will pay less interest as the balance is lower. It just means that the monthly payments are not reduced.

Paras 1 and 4 are complementary, rather than contradictory.
  • Chillysauce
    Options
    ZX

So then what about the non reduction of the term. This in tandem with the two previous would mean the overpayment are pointless.

IMHO it is poorly worded and unclear.
  • helibob
    helibob Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    It will effectively reduce the term, but they won't recalculate it until you remortgage (at which point you can probably choose whether to reduce the term or the monthly payment). If it would cause you to pay off your mortgage within the term of your fix, you may need to speak to your bank.
  • greent
    Options
    The term of my mortgage never officially reduced - if I'd wanted my repayments recalculated in the last few months of its life it would have shown that the required monthly amount was £8 something - which was all I would have needed to pay per month to repay it by the end date. Therefore my payments of £1K+ per month had reduced the effective term (as in I repaid it several years early) and had saved myself £000s in interest in doing so
  • greent
    Options
    My personal mtge was with Lloyds/ C&G, as is my BTL mtge. Both only recalculate(d) payments automatically if an OP of £1K+ was made. However, I like having the smaller OPs to my BTL, as the 'extra' in my standard monthly payment is also effectively an OP (which increases by pence each month - very much working on the 'every little helps' theory here! :D)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport