HolidaySafe Travel Insurance - Your Feedback

MSE_Tony
MSE_Tony Posts: 100 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 4 July 2012 at 12:16PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi,

Thanks for visiting.

We have recently added the HolidaySafe Premier travel policy to our New Travel Insurance guide.

As this insurer is a new option - offering good cover levels - your feedback is important to us.

Please let us know what you think.

Have you used or contacted them, made a claim, is it is missing anything or just general feedback on the insurer.

Hit 'Reply' to discuss or ask a question.

Thanks.

MSE Tony

If you spot a rate change that we haven't already mentioned or added into articles or tips, Please send me a PM about it

Get Martin's Free Money Saving Tips E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips

Comments

• I was attracted by the apparently low cost of the family travel insurance policy for Europe with holidaysafe.co.uk (which I saw on the Moneysavingexpert website). I tried to buy online but when I tried to complete the section on medical conditions to declare my son and I have controlled asthma and I had a c-section to deliver my baby 6 weeks ago, it wouldn't let me input the medication we are on for the asthma. So I had to call Holidaysafe on their 0845 number (which turned out to be a very expensive call). They eventually agreed to cover the asthma but would only cover my c-section if it was over 2 months ago, so they gave me a quote number and told me to call back when it was 2 months or more from the date of the c-section, and they would honour the £42 price and cover these conditions. I called back today as it's now over 2 months since the c-section only to be told my quote had expired, I had to go through everything again (another expensive call) and the final straw was when they told me that with the medical conditions the policy would now cost over £120, despite Holidaysafe confirming during the first call that there would be no extra charge. So if you have any medical conditions, DO NOT TOUCH THIS POLICY as it will cost you far more than the seemingly low price they advertise! Distinctly unimpressed. :(
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    edited 26 October 2012 at 8:18PM
    Hi Littlepea

Holidaysafe has asked us to post a response. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the forum.

Hi Littlepea, my name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe.

I have listened to both of the phone calls you made to our customer service centre, and I would like to apologise that you have had problems with Holidaysafe.

I would be happy to discuss this issue with you in more detail, if you could please send your contact details to website@infinityinsurance.co.uk (and mark the email for my personal attention), I will then contact you accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards, Amber.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • projexe
    projexe Posts: 12 Forumite
    Check the FAQs and small print. As soon as any children hit 18 they won't be covered.
    Oh They will quite happily sell you a policy for a 17 year old but beware - if you go on holiday once your child is 18 (whether still at school or not) then you'll not be covered.

And this is a best buy?????

(Direct Travel Insurance - another of your best buys - cover this eventuality so I've insured with them instead)
  • Holidaysafe has asked to reply. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the forum.

Hi Projexe, My name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe. Firstly I would like to apologise that you have had problems with Holidaysafe, but this is simply not our policy.

We define a family as two adults over 18, and one or more children all under the age of 18. When you buy a Multi Trip policy, we take your age at the time of purchase, and cover you under that age for the duration of the policy, as we understand that your age will change at some point during the 12 month period. If you buy a Single Trip policy, we take each traveller’s age at the time of travel, so if you tried to buy a family policy with dates after your child has turned 18, this unfortunately will not work. We would never refuse to cover someone after they had purchased a policy simply because they had turned 18, our systems are set up to take this into account.

We are always looking to improve our products, and adding a student age group to the website is something we are strongly considering.

I’m very sorry we lost your business, but I would really appreciate it if you could tell me where you found this information? It is not in the FAQs or on our policy wordings as you stated in your comment.

Once again I would like to apologise for this misunderstanding. I would be more than happy to discuss this issue further, simply send your contact details to website@infinityinsurance.co.uk (and mark the email for my personal attention), I will then contact you accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you . Kind regards, Amber.

Join the MSE Forum
  • Personally I would never use holiday safe ever again. I phoned up to let them know about a scan I had had on an existing condition which only had performed to be 100% sure that there was no reason to for me not to travel, I would have been much better just being in the dark. I was told that subject to the new information they would not ensure me for the condition despite my consultants assurance that the results showed nothing of concern and the money which I paid to specifically ensure this existing condition in its per scanned form would not be refunded. They did offer me to use the canellation cover on the policy which was mighty generous given it that it was the day before I was suppose to fly out. I ended up having to take out another policy with a different company to ensure I was fully ensured and cancelled my holiday safe one but I was only refunded a fraction of what I had paid.
  • Hi

The company's asked to post a response. MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the forum.

Hi Cheapisntalwaysbest, my name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe. Firstly I would like to apologise, I am sorry that you feel aggrieved by the medical decision following your declaration of a recent scan. There are varying reasons why this decision may have been made, and I would like to investigate so I may explain them to you and try to resolve the matter. In particular, I would like to look into the amount that was refunded to you.

To allow me to do this, I would need some more information, so I would really appreciate it if you could please send your contact details to website@infinityinsurance.co.uk (and mark the email for my personal attention), I will then contact you accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards, Amber.

Join the MSE Forum
  • As with others I put a low risk static condition into the website (hypothyroidism) which was not caused by other pathology. I had no complications, had not consulted a doctor, had not had medication changed etc. My premium very nearly doubled and the excess went up to £100. It was not clear whether the £100 was added to each of the quoted standard excesses. I was left wondering what would have happened to the premium if I had a risky condition.
    Not as cheap as it looked and very irritating to think you are being exploited.
  • peaksoft
    peaksoft Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I took out annual insurance with Holidaysafe, following the recommendation by MSE, but immediately I downloaded the documents, I cancelled the policy and obtained a refund?
    Why? Every telephone number supplied is an 084---- number, including the one for calling from abroad to report a problem or arrange help. They even advise storing the number in a mobile telephone.
    Using one of these numbers to call from abroad would cost a small fortune - much to the glee of Holidaysafe, who get a substantial cut from the calls.
    Any holiday insurance company that cares anything for its customers' interests supplies a UK geographic number for calls from abroad, and I feel this should be a prime requirement when policies are vetted by MSE.
  • I agree with the argument for having a UK geographic number, especially for an emergency contact from abroad.

However, a little self-help with a search on http://www.saynoto0870.com reveals:

01732 853350 - Claims Dept.
    01732 853355 - Sales.

I'm sure that even if one of these were the wrong department that they would be able to put you through.

:)
  • t0d
    t0d Posts: 16 Forumite
    It seems if you have well controlled gout, high blood pressure and diabetes your premium increases by £50!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure