PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

One and two bedroom flats

Hello,

I am keen to live in a certain area. I have noticed that there seem to be many more one bedroom flats on the market compared to two bedroom, and they (one bedroom) appear not to be selling.

Are one bedroom flats harder to sell, and, therefore, a purchase should be made with caution.

I would prefer to buy a two bedroom flat, but in this area they are much more expensive.

I am wondering if it is better to buy a two bedroom flat in another area although it will not be so nice (the area); or, stay with the idea of the one bedroom flat in the better area.

I note the problem of storage in a one bedroom flat.

Thanks

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Are one bedroom flats harder to sell
    Yes. I think first time buyers are older than they used to be, and so either already need a larger property or anticipate needing one in the short term.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think it depends on the market and the area. When the market either sinks or is static it seems that 1 beds suffer the most. OTH if you are in a very expensive area a 1 bed might be the only way to get on the ladder.

They also vary a lot in size - and as you have indicated in storage, though lots of bigger modern places suffer from a lack of storage space too. There are nice ones to be had if you look hard enough, but there are also some dreadful pokey holes.

As to changing area to get something with 2 beds, that's a decision only you can make. You have to balance location against facilities and only you can know which matters most.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    In any sort of major city often a 1 bed or studio is literally all many people can afford if they wish to live in the city centre - once you move away from the centre (unless it's london!) then i would imagine very little demand for anything but a 2 bed flat as people start looking for houses rather than flats.
  • It depends on the area and whether they are purpose built 1 beds, 1 beds in period conversions or a previously non-period house that's been carved into flats.

If you're noticing this in purpose built blocks is it across the board, or is it the top/ground floor ones that aren't shifting? Depending on the demographics of the area different position flats in a purpose built block will be more/less attractive to some people.

When I bought my flat in 2002 (London, early 80s purpose built block) it was possible to get a mortgage for it on a single salary with a small deposit and scary income ratio.

Now deposits required are larger more buyers club together. Some will be able then to afford more than a 1 bed. Others buying "together" in London for sure are not couples (friends, siblings, single buyers plus lodger. So more than one bedroom is a must have.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    If you can afford a two bed go for that.

It is a no brainer. Even for storage (as you mentioned), having visitors, lodgers whatever. A lodger could pay half or more of your mortgage tax free too!

A one bed as others have said is fine in a high end area but even then might not be a great buy given the uncertainty of THAT word coming down the tracks.
  • Thanks to all for the advice.

Best wishes
  • I have just looked at a flat. The agent told me that the ground rent doubles every 10y. He warned me that if I decided to sell that some building societies would not agree a mortgage.

Should this influence my decision to buy
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    He warned me that if I decided to sell that some building societies would not agree a mortgage.

This all sounds really odd.
    Are you saying the agent selling it is trying to put you off?
    Why is he wasting his own time doing that????

Are you buying for cash?
    If not how would you get a mortgage?

I am quite suspicious.
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    If you place an offer and instruct a solicitor they will look into these potential issues for you.

There will be documentation on how much ground tent has been for the last few years, and the lease will confirm whether the agents facts on the level and frequency of increase are correct.

The warning about difficulty selling is probably related to the current lease length, do you know what it is? They can be costly to extend if a property is not mortgageable without doing so. Unless the seller extends the lease before putting it on the market, buyers will either drop their offer price to cover the cost of the extension. Or not be viable buyers at all because they can't find a provider who will lend.

Both should influence your decision to buy
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    This all sounds really odd.
    Are you saying the agent selling it is trying to put you off?
    Why is he wasting his own time doing that????

Are you buying for cash?
    If not how would you get a mortgage?

I am quite suspicious.

The agent told me because he thought I should know. He was just being honest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure