PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why don't landlords like DSS?

Options
I do not use housing benefits and just ask this question out of curiosity.

When I look for a place to rent, I see in most ads "NO DSS". I wonder why are landlords reluctant? Isn't the rent guaranteed by the governmental scheme?

I understand that it is better to have a professional tenant rather than an unemployed one, but it should be better in terms of a guaranteed rent, as the government pays it. Or I have misunderstood the whole concept.

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It can be a condition imposed by their insurance.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tenants only get up to a certain amount in housing benefit so a house where the rent is much higher has to have the difference made up by the tenant. You can guess how many tenants actually manage to do this without getting into serious rent arrears.
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Options
    Housing Benefit is not guaranteed to meet the full rent leaving a shortfall that a tenant on a low income may not be able to pay.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is easy to get insurance cover, perhaps a little more expensive.

DSS was dissolved in 2001. Think you mean HB/LHA tenants. Problem is Mother Theresa keeps cutting back benefits, making it harder to claim, imposing caps.
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DSS is in common parlance though, like MOT
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's because a minority of DSS recipients have spoilt it for the majority by acting irresponsibly.

It used to be that housing benefit was paid directly to the landlord. Now, in the interests of treating all people like responsible adults, the benefit is paid to the claimant - who is expected to do the right thing and pass the money to their landlord.

Unfortunately, a minority of DSS claimants just keep the money for themselves.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Can't Pay we take it away
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Silvertabby has hit the nail on the head. I have had several BTLs (all sold now) and generally the letting agents have also recommended I don't touch DSS and they would be the ones with experience in dealing with the fallout.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Dorian1958
    Dorian1958 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on which market the landlord is operating in. Some LL's are happy to aim their properties at HB claimants, perhaps in the expectation that their tenants are likely to accept a lower quality standard of accommodation or be so desperate they are unlikely to complain about problems. Not all are like that of course. Other LL will be operating in a market where the rental prices of their properties are clearly above the means of someone who is claiming HB, and to save everyone time they specify "no DSS". At the end of the day the LL is operating a business and assessing the tenant on ability to pay the market rent for the property they are letting.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They are snobs.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts