DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 9

Comments

• bertman wrote: »
    HSBC have been our worst CC company, it took them nearly 5 months for them to register the fact that we were with SC. A lot of this has to do with an incredible backlog of details from SC and probably others. Just tell them you are on a DMP and put it in writing. They refunded interest to us last week and have now suspended interest.

That's really good news, glad you got it sorted at last

HHx
  • good news bertman. am same in that just finally getting it sorted with HBOS not so lucky with the interest being frozen. But still better than it was. Onwards and upwards eh.
    LBM Sept 2012
    started DMP 1.11.12
    Debt [STRIKE]£37012[/STRIKE]/£0 DFD January 2019 :beer:
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Time_to_face_the_music Posts: 5,454
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 10 February 2013 at 10:53AM
    I got lost and you are all here on a new thread, very snazzy indeed. I started right at the very end of part 7 :j

I see that HH has been maligning me while I have been gone, she is the one who belongs on the naughty step :rotfl:

Our fuel allowance was higher than the recommended, because of our commute, at £280 per month so I can't see any problems with StepChange increasing it above their normal allowance if they have a justified reason for it.

The maximum StepChange food/housekeeping allowance for 2 people is £341 per month. This is low compared to the guidance given by NED CAB DMP and National Debtline which I believe are based on trigger figures. We did a lot of reading about this before we moved to self managing our DMP. There is a big difference between the national recommendations and those of StepChange but I am not sure why.

I can see where people are coming from with increasing their allowances to keep a normal life but we want our real life back, the one where we have our money to spend on what we want and not throw it at debts each month. So we keep the pace brisk to go for the fast finish :D
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • bertman wrote: »
    HSBC have been our worst CC company, it took them nearly 5 months for them to register the fact that we were with SC. A lot of this has to do with an incredible backlog of details from SC and probably others. Just tell them you are on a DMP and put it in writing. They refunded interest to us last week and have now suspended interest.

That's good that you finally have had some success with HSBC then Bertman, as I have been pulling my hair out with them!! I will send more letters, but have sent several 'Stepchange' ones already. Thanks so much for your reply and for giving me some hope with the dreaded HSBC!!!! :)
    DMP started Jan 2013.
    Due to end 2018.
    Happy to be sorting out our debt :D
  • A quick question, what letter do I send to a creditor if I think their charges are unfair, and they aren't treating me fairly?
    Do I then go to OFT?
    I took a loan out with speed credit (my own fault I agree) but to set a payment plan it has had to be set at £1200, these charges are ridiculous, and I want to try my hand and reducing them somewhat.

Thanks In Advance
    x
    DFD 1st January 2016
    Total Debt £4600 01/01/2013
    £4100 15/11/2013 01/11/15 £0 :j
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I can see where people are coming from with increasing their allowances to keep a normal life but we want our real life back, the one where we have our money to spend on what we want and not throw it at debts each month. So we keep the pace brisk to go for the fast finish :D

Yup I can see this point of view to tackling debt when on a DMP. I too am keen to be debt free and have all my money to myself. However I have an OH who can't hack being hard up, so I knew when I embarked on our DMP that it would have to suit our way of life or things would be very unpleasant. Luckily our estimated DFD wasn't years and years away so we felt this approach was acceptable. Whatever works for you I guess;)
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Growurown wrote: »
    Yup I can see this point of view to tackling debt when on a DMP. I too am keen to be debt free and have all my money to myself. However I have an OH who can't hack being hard up, so I knew when I embarked on our DMP that it would have to suit our way of life or things would be very unpleasant. Luckily our estimated DFD wasn't years and years away so we felt this approach was acceptable. Whatever works for you I guess;)

Agreed, all individual choice, no one right way. I was so too tough on myself in the first 14 months, this wasn't sustainable and I then bought into the ' you can't buy back time' saying and took my foot of the pedal a little to get more balance.

Good luck to everyone whichever route is right for you.

HHx
  • A quick question, what letter do I send to a creditor if I think their charges are unfair, and they aren't treating me fairly?
    Do I then go to OFT?
    I took a loan out with speed credit (my own fault I agree) but to set a payment plan it has had to be set at £1200, these charges are ridiculous, and I want to try my hand and reducing them somewhat.

Thanks In Advance
    x

Have you checked out the templates on the national debtline website?

Write to the preditor, if you are not not satisfied with the outcome call the FOS helpline.

Financial Ombudsman consumer helpline

Monday to Friday – 8am to 8pm
    Saturday – 9am to 1pm
    • 0800 023 4567
      calls to this number are normally free for people ringing from a "fixed line" phone – but charges may apply if you call from a mobile phone
    Good luck

HHx
  • katy_ann
    katy_ann Posts: 1,088
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Afternoon all :) Quick update from me, Im still fighting with halifax and hsbc for them to reduce/stop the interest on the od/cc. They dont seem to be registering im on a dmp even after 4 months! Grr oh well, some debts are reducing, others increasing, get there in the end! :)
    Debt free once - Back again | Current debt: £3002.96 - January 2023 | Currently repaying £50 a month - Estimated DFD Jan 2028 | Make £2023 in 2023 #51 - £33.75/£2023
  • katy_ann wrote: »
    Afternoon all :) Quick update from me, Im still fighting with halifax and hsbc for them to reduce/stop the interest on the od/cc. They dont seem to be registering im on a dmp even after 4 months! Grr oh well, some debts are reducing, others increasing, get there in the end! :)

Have you asked them to reduce or stop interest in writing Katy_ann?

HHx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport