EDF vague online billing

hubb
hubb Posts: 2,480
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
I am feeling very confused with EDF. I opted for paperless billing so I can view my usage online. Simple ? No. A few weeks ago I gave a reading and it showed nothing. 3 weeks ago I gave another reading and again, it only showed my last bill which was in December 2011. I was also showing £320 in credit. I phoned today to ask why my reading (I put in online) hadn't registered. An adviser told me they will do it (they didn't ask for me to give them the reading again). It then came up as me owing £35 when I logged on again. I phoned a second time and an adviser couldn't tell me why my readings hadn't updated my status. I was also told (I am currently paying a very high amount of £60 a month for duel fuel in a 2 bed house) that my direct debit was going to be upped to £108. The adviser was just as miffed as me as to why this had happened AND why I was showing £320 in CR (I only wish now I had taken a screen shot as proof).

As it all seems vague, how can I trust them ? How can I have faith that their system is solid and honest when there are so many unexplained things going on that even the adviser's cannot understand ? I wish I had stayed with paper billing but even that isn't easy to understand.

Should I complain ?

Comments

• jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    hubb wrote: »
    ...I am currently paying a very high amount of £60 a month for duel fuel in a 2 bed house...

Most people would not consider that "very high". Post your annual consumption figures for more meaningful advice.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    EDF, this multi-million £ business is apparently staffed by simple folk who easily get confused - so keep things simple for them.

You have online billing, so enter your meter readings appx. 90 days from the date on the last bill, and hey presto, they quickly produce an online summery of your new bill with the fully detailed billed available a few days later.

Do not give them meter readings at any time other than the due Quarterly dates as it confuses them, which in turn will cause them to confuse you
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    dogshome wrote: »
    EDF, this multi-million £ business is apparently staffed by simple folk who easily get confused - so keep things simple for them.

You have online billing, so enter your meter readings appx. 90 days from the date on the last bill, and hey presto, they quickly produce an online summery of your new bill with the fully detailed billed available a few days later.

Do not give them meter readings at any time other than the due Quarterly dates as it confuses them, which in turn will cause them to confuse you

Or perhaps they have upgraded to SAP which has been causing similar problems in other supply companies.

Perhaps their call centre staff are as confused as everyone else with no one to answer their questions and fix the system/process issues.

Its the same staff, so was it like this prior to upgrading to SAP?

Systems/processes come from the top, the "simple folk" at the bottom have to try to work with it...and probably have the same opinion as the customers!
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Been through the exact same thing last weekend. My thread is on here for you to see that I was doing the same thing, giving meter readings when asked, but for some reason they weren't being used and I wasn't being billed.

They have now told me they will bill me every six months so I can try and keep track of my usage. 12 month billing is a joke. It's all done by computer anyway, so I have no idea why they needed to change it in the first place.
  • jalexa
    edited 21 July 2012 at 5:54AM
    Should I complain ?
    That is entirely up to you. You are entitled to complain on the first occasion you are not 100% satisfied with a customer service response.

Tactically I suggest you pick a single issue rather than the "vague" issues you post about. A good issue would be the lack of explanation for the DD increase from £60 to £108 as regulations require that this is clearly explained.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,480
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    For only £35 in debt I think increasing from £60 a month to a hundred and odd is ridiculous but I will complain about this issue. Thanks everyone.
  • jalexa
    edited 21 July 2012 at 2:16PM
    For only £35 in debt I think increasing from £60 a month to a hundred and odd is ridiculous...

On the face of it yes, but to check the figure you need to know what projected annual consumption Edf have for you (also whether it is reasonable) and the date of your next 'annual review'.

How long have you been on supply with Edf?
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 22 July 2012 at 9:01AM
    jalexa wrote: »
    On the face of it yes, but to check the figure you need to know what projected annual consumption Edf have for you (also whether it is reasonable) and the date of your next 'annual review'.

How long have you been on supply with Edf?

The point won't be lost that this exact information should already have been supplied by EDF.That is cause for complaint in itself never mind whether the result is logical or otherwise.

SLC 27 or Ofgem's Direct Debit Factsheet is relevant if the OP wants to pursue it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure