Help to Buy ISA when saving more than £200/month...

Smutley13
Smutley13 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 24 November 2015 at 1:21PM in Savings & investments
Official MSE Insert:

You may also find our fully researched Help to Buy ISA guide helpful.

Back to the original post...

Hi all,

Very often visit these forums, but my first time posting. Please be gentle!

I'm after some advice. I am currently frantically saving for a deposit to buy myself my first home. I am currently saving a minimum of £750/month, but often closer to £1000/month.

This FY, I have been stashing these savings in an ISA with a reasonably good interest rate. I am now interested in the Help to Buy ISA, but I am concerned about the low amount of maximum saving per month.

At a max of £200/month that can be put into the help to buy ISA, and effectively forfeiting my subscription to any other ISAs this coming FY, can anyone recommend to me ways to save the rest of my money? Or would I be better off just leaving it in a regular ISA?

If it helps, I will be looking at buying towards the end of the year, or early 2016, so lets assume I would use a Help to Buy ISA for 3 months (the minimum period only) with the initial £1000 deposit and £200/month going in.

Thank you in advance,
Joe

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Not all the details are nailed yet but this site has written the below on whats known so far

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/help-to-buy-ISA
  • Smutley13
    Smutley13 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 26 March 2015 at 3:52PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I've been reading that page in a lot of detail. I guess my real question is what to do with my additional savings once I've hit the monthly limit for the Help to Buy ISA.

Keen to know as I wont be able to subscribe to a 15/16 ISA if I intend to go into a Help to Buy ISA.
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Smutley13 wrote: »
    Keen to know as I wont be able to subscribe to a 15/16 ISA if I intend to go into a Help to Buy ISA.

Not necessarily true:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5202505

Help to Buy ISAs don't even exist yet, so definitive guidance on their operation doesn't exist either. Put any new money into high-paying current accounts until the autumn, as the returns from these dwarf cash ISAs anyway.

P.S. Help to Buy ISAs will likely pay a "normal" cash ISA rate anyway, so balances over the £12k would earn that, but no 25% bonus.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Take a look at Regular Savings accounts: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=608697 and http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=966321 also consider high interest current accounts.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Smutley13 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Very often visit these forums, but my first time posting. Please be gentle!

I'm after some advice. I am currently frantically saving for a deposit to buy myself my first home. I am currently saving a minimum of £750/month, but often closer to £1000/month.

This FY, I have been stashing these savings in an ISA with a reasonably good interest rate. I am now interested in the Help to Buy ISA, but I am concerned about the low amount of maximum saving per month.

At a max of £200/month that can be put into the help to buy ISA, and effectively forfeiting my subscription to any other ISAs this coming FY, can anyone recommend to me ways to save the rest of my money? Or would I be better off just leaving it in a regular ISA?

If it helps, I will be looking at buying towards the end of the year, or early 2016, so lets assume I would use a Help to Buy ISA for 3 months (the minimum period only) with the initial £1000 deposit and £200/month going in.

Thank you in advance,
    Joe

what is the interest rate you are receiving from your ISA?
  • hennerz
    hennerz Posts: 172 Forumite
    Is there any point in putting the optional £1k extra at the beginning? The only reason people would do this is to increase the amount in there, there is no other advantage right? It would only earn the 1.5% or whatever the provider is offering on the money?
  • LplateSaver
    LplateSaver Posts: 351 Forumite
    hennerz wrote: »
    Is there any point in putting the optional £1k extra at the beginning? The only reason people would do this is to increase the amount in there, there is no other advantage right? It would only earn the 1.5% or whatever the provider is offering on the money?

You'd get the 25% bonus 5 months earlier.

In the OPs case he's saving for 3 months so he'll get £400 from the scheme.
  • hennerz
    You'd get the 25% bonus 5 months earlier.

In the OPs case he's saving for 3 months so he'll get £400 from the scheme.

But I meant specifically on the £1000 that you can put in at the beginning of the scheme.
  • hennerz wrote: »
    But I meant specifically on the £1000 that you can put in at the beginning of the scheme.

If the OP didn't put the 1k in at the beginning he'd only earn a £150 bonus. Obviously the more money you put in the bigger your 25% bonus will be so a lot of people will take advantage of the opportunity to deposit the extra 1k I know I will because like I said it will reduce the number of months needed to save the maximum 12k.
  • hennerz
    If the OP didn't put the 1k in at the beginning he'd only earn a £150 bonus. Obviously the more money you put in the bigger your 25% bonus will be so a lot of people will take advantage of the opportunity to deposit the extra 1k I know I will because like I said it will reduce the number of months needed to save the maximum 12k.

Ah I see. I didn't realise you got 25% on the £1k, I thought it was only 25% on the £250 for the 1st month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure