And now the fuse is lit...

Options

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Presumably then top up the ISA's with the matured RS's?

The RS's will go into the offset until close to the turn of the financial year, where the money will make the trek back to the flexible ISAs - opening new ones as applicable. Then they will make the trek back soon afterwards.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Now one of my CFLs has failed -though far less spectacularly than KCs did. Which is just as well as it's directly above my bed.

All my similar era incandescents are fine - so much for the botox that CFLs last 15 times longer...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    That's an interesting one on the bulb Z - ours have been changed over gradually over the past 10 years and so far none have blown, while we've replaced the two rarely used remaining incandescents (in the front room with the dimmer switches!) several times in that timescale. A lot of our lighting in the new kitchen is LED - fingers crossed that lasts as long as they say it should!

On the power thing - a friend of ours works in the industry - he's been saying for a while that it is *only* by the skin of our teeth that the lights haven't gone out here yet - at least for "planned outages" - frankly it's more by luck than judgement, and the fact that getting people to use less power is actually working (and that's the thing I gather that has surprised the power co's the most).
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • ZTD
    Options
    That's an interesting one on the bulb Z - ours have been changed over gradually over the past 10 years and so far none have blown, while we've replaced the two rarely used remaining incandescents (in the front room with the dimmer switches!) several times in that timescale.

Well reading around the subject, it seems that the closer you are to a sub-station, the higher the voltage and the harsher it is on your lighting - electronically driven stuff being more susceptible than full mains capable stuff. Also it seems that high frequency electronic noise/overvoltages can kill the electronic stuff quite quickly whereas the tungsten response to that can be summed up by the word "meh".
    A lot of our lighting in the new kitchen is LED - fingers crossed that lasts as long as they say it should!

That depends who you've been listening to. The trick people use is to take the reliability of the classic red gallium arsenide LED (which is essential bomb-proof), extrapolate it to all types of LED, then completely ignore the driver circuitry and other bits & bobs and say "Look! It's really reliable!"

How the white ones work is that multiple blue LEDs excite a phosphor (in a manner very similar to fluorescents) which emit the white light you see. The phosphor fades over time. A single LED can fail ("The black dot of death") which usually puts strain on the others, so another will fail. This eventually leads to a slow-motion cascade of failure.

Also, beware of the cheap but dangerous replacements - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keaE7QTKTYE

In terms of which is more reliable - LED, florescent or incandescent. They all last 20 seconds past their warranty - surely you knew that? :rotfl:
    On the power thing - a friend of ours works in the industry - he's been saying for a while that it is *only* by the skin of our teeth that the lights haven't gone out here yet - at least for "planned outages" - frankly it's more by luck than judgement,

And the margins get slimmer every year.
    and the fact that getting people to use less power is actually working (and that's the thing I gather that has surprised the power co's the most).

Well actually people are using slightly more power, but less electricity. Gas is making a comeback - which will cause fun and excitement in its own right.

However have you heard the one about the Government mandating all cars to be electric, and the National Grid stating that sub-stations can only charge 6 cars together at any one time, and that many houses won't be able to do anything at the same time as charging their car? No - not a badly named episode of Friends, neither is it a joke.

But I must admit that when I read it, I laughed, and laughed, and laughed... :rotfl:
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So Z if you had a knackered gas fire in a shallow fireplace and you wanted to replace it what would you do?
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • ZTD
    Options
    Butti wrote: »
    So Z if you had a knackered gas fire in a shallow fireplace and you wanted to replace it what would you do?

Well that depends on the context. When you say "shallow" do you mean "front to back"?

If that's what you mean, then I take it there's no back boiler?

Is it used much? What kind of gas fire is it? (living flame/ceramic blocks etc)
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It has no back boiler. It's ceramic blocks and when it's not on (the last time was about 18 months ago as it's stopped working! ) there's a draught!
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • ZTD
    Options
    Butti wrote: »
    It has no back boiler. It's ceramic blocks and when it's not on (the last time was about 18 months ago as it's stopped working! ) there's a draught!

Well the draught is a good sign as it means your chimney (technically flue) is unblocked. Now you're a bit vague about "not working", but assuming the blocks are undamaged, have you thought about just having it repaired? They are pretty simple in design after all, just a gas supply, a valve (or two) and a burner which plays on the blocks.

If that's not possible, I personally, would be looking at the costs of getting a multi-fuel stove - but that's because I really like them.

If it's prohibitive (or you don't like them) then there are outset (sticky out) gas fires available, but they're all "living flame" which are less efficient than the radiant ceramic block ones.

Yes, I know - options not recommendations. But it's difficult without knowing the details or your tastes.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Having examined the CFL, it has a suspicious brown stain around its bottom. Looks like it was the electronic driver which crapped the bed, rather than the tube itself - which is what I would have expected.

Could take it apart to see the large skid mark on the circuit board inside - but I'm not quite that interested... :rotfl:
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Has anyone had any experience with those electric taps you can get such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rayinblue-Electric-Kitchen-Instant-Heating/dp/B071S16WFF

Are they any good?
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport