Good alternatives to these branded products?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 July 2017 at 4:36PM in Food shopping & groceries
Wondered if anyone could recommend cheaper alternatives (that still taste good) to the list below? I need to drastically cut my food bill and finding good alternatives to the branded products we currently buy is part of that:

HP Sauce
Hellmann's Mayonnaise
Branston Pickle

My first step was giving up Marmite, and, at the suggestion of a MSE poster, bought Sainsbury's reduced salt yeast spread - and really liked it, so I'm hoping for more good ideas :)

Thanks

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't buy HP, since they offshored it; I like Chop'd and Sauces for Forces, but I'm not sure if I've sen them recently.

I'm perfectly happy to use shop's own mayo. An option as well is to keep an eye out for offers (sometimes two smaller jars is cheaper than on larger one).

As for Branston; that's very much a matter of taste; I'll happily get different chutneys & pickles.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For Branston pickle, Tesco's own works for me. The Aldi generic was rank, far too much vinegar. I don't eat mayonnaise or HP though.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    For Branston pickle, Tesco's own works for me. The Aldi generic was rank, far too much vinegar. I don't eat mayonnaise or HP though.

Oh great...Guess who decided to throw the aldi generic into his basket yesterday as a test purchase.....

Will let the forum know once I try it but not expecting great things upon reading the above.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Options
    Corona wrote: »
    Wondered if anyone could recommend cheaper alternatives (that still taste good) to the list below? I need to drastically cut my food bill and finding good alternatives to the branded products we currently buy is part of that:

HP Sauce
    Hellmann's Mayonnaise
    Branston Pickle

My first step was giving up Marmite, and, at the suggestion of a MSE poster, bought Sainsbury's reduced salt yeast spread - and really liked it, so I'm hoping for more good ideas :)

Thanks
    Like others I'm happy with own brand mayo. Aldi tastes fine to me.

That being said as all the products you've asked about are long life then do look for offers.

If you have a Farmfoods near you they generally have all 3 on offer. Hellmans always seems cheaper if you go for a jar rather than a squeezy bottle same with HP.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Li0nhead wrote: »
    Oh great...Guess who decided to throw the aldi generic into his basket yesterday as a test purchase.....

Will let the forum know once I try it but not expecting great things upon reading the above.
    I returned the jar minus one tablespoon of content (to let the store manager know that it wasn't a good product) and unexpectedly got my 68p back. Usually my interactions with the store team are to sing it's praises. The store has been open for nearly 2 years, and from day 1 has been an efficient operation and pleasant to shop at.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Gnocchi
    Gnocchi Posts: 860 Forumite
    edited 17 July 2017 at 12:30AM
    Options
    I don't know if it's cheaper than Hellmann's but the Sainsbury's organic mayo is fine. Tesco pickle is bearable.

If you use mysupermarket, you may find that you can stick up on branded products when they are on special offer.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My parents like Asda's Smartprice pickle.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Options
    Iceland's often worth a try for offers on branded goods too.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    You can sometimes buy HP in the poundshops.

As a question, what are Aldi and Lidl briwn sauces like?

Just to give a helpful comparison, I do like Aldi's tomato sauce.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've had the Aldi Bramwells brown sauce and that was fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure