First Direct Current Account Switch Blagged Deal

Comments

• Does anyone know if it is possible to receive the £100 for leaving First Direct if you are doing so by switching to another bank using the switching service?

Trying to work out whether I can gain both the £100 leaving amount AND a switching bonus from a new bank. Or if, in order to gain the £100 leaving payment from First Direct, I simply have to close my account.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Dan5789 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to receive the £100 for leaving First Direct if you are doing so by switching to another bank using the switching service?
    Some people have reported success when doing that. I'd suggest telling them beforehand (once the switch has been initated at the new bank), that you've invoking their 'leaving present' clause, rather than after the event. Shouldn't be a problem as they say they'll "help you move banks".
  • tebthereb
    tebthereb Posts: 162
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dan5789 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to receive the £100 for leaving First Direct if you are doing so by switching to another bank using the switching service?

Trying to work out whether I can gain both the £100 leaving amount AND a switching bonus from a new bank. Or if, in order to gain the £100 leaving payment from First Direct, I simply have to close my account.

Yes why not? As far as First Direct are concerned, switching out and closing your account with them is presumably the same thing. I did it as part of a switch to Nationwide.

As has been said follow their T&Cs, and tell them in advance. They came back with a load of nonsense, about why I didn't qualify, and when I complained to them they ended up giving me a goodwill gesture plus the goodbye payment.
  • Does anyone know if you can still get the switch offers if you were a previous customer under a different name? I've recently got married so my last name has changed since I last banked with FD.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    KJolly2018 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can still get the switch offers if you were a previous customer under a different name? I've recently got married so my last name has changed since I last banked with FD.
    ...but you have the same first name, the same DOB, and the same traceable address history, all of which you have to tell them on the application form - along with any other names you've been known by. So what do you think?
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,022
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've applied earlier for the First Direct account and am now having second thoughts after reading this thread! What surprised me was you don't get an instant approval or rejection when you apply online like I've had with every other account I've applied for over the last week. Maybe its because I answered their questions truthfully about not having my income paid into the account and paying in £1000 every month. I also believe I held an ISA with them several years ago which I believe forbids me from claiming the £125 switching bonus. We'll see - I might ring them up to cancel my application, or see if it goes through for the regular saver.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Hi

I think it is very important to point out that they are rejecting applicants in shared accommodation or similar. I had a call yesterday and my application was rejected on the grounds that my the owner of the house could intercept my mail.

Now, the lady did agree it was a bit "stupid" and I think very short sighted considering today's world and living situations. They do not have an alternative, apparently.

What frustrates me is the following:
    - The application process is very extensive, I spent a good 20 minute on filling it in. It would have been nice to have a disclaimer somewhere that says: if you share your mailbox don't bother
    - Also...really!?!? Why not over signed for services? I would have been happy to pay for that. It seems ridiculous that they might pay you a bonus for opening the account but don't have an alternative for a very minor problem

Could you please update the details on the offer so people know?

Cheers
    Fran
  • I wouldn't bother..we switched to them 2 years ago and have since switched back to TSB. Every aspect of managing the account was really arduous!
  • Hi

I used the MSE link and have switched my accounts but have only received £100 fee not the £125. Has this happened to anyone else and what did you do?

Joe
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,394
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi

I used the MSE link and have switched my accounts but have only received £100 fee not the £125. Has this happened to anyone else and what did you do?

Joe
    What did First Direct say was the reason for this when you asked?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure