Previous applicants do not apply

When previous applicants have been interviewed and are unsuccessful, the company states previous applicants do not apply.

Why interview if the people weren’t good enough!

WHAT DOES THIS REALLY MEAN?

Thanks

Comments

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,794
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It means if you have already applied and failed don't bother re-applying.

Thought it was self evident, or am I missing something?
  • They found out they weren't good enough by interviewing them. What's the point of going through it again now they know they don't want them?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    tazwhoever wrote: »

When previous applicants have been interviewed and are unsuccessful, the company states previous applicants do not apply.

Thanks
    It really means exactly what it says. If you have already applied don't bother to do it again. They either didn't like what they saw, or they didn't have enough applications, but either way, don't apply again.
  • tazwhoever wrote: »

Thanks
    Are you serious?

Read what you put and work it out!
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    tazwhoever wrote: »

Thanks

Sometimes people look really good on paper, but in reality are just lacking in some key quality.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    bugslet wrote: »
    Sometimes people look really good on paper, but in reality are just lacking in some key quality.

Or, on meeting them, the interviewers realise that the applicant wouldn't fit into the team.

It's important to get a good personality match as well as someone with the right qualification.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,898
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's a perfectly valid question. It isn't uncommon for two people who go to an interview to be good enough, but there's only one job. If someone asked this board "I didn't get a job but was given good feedback and the post has just been re-advertised [without "previous interviewees do not apply" on it], should I apply" we'd all say yes. So to automatically bar previous applicants from re-applying may come across as short-sighted and I can see why the OP is frustrated.

But it's perfectly possible that the company has a high turnover and hires everyone who meets the standard, or that they have already rung up the unsuccessful candidates who were good enough, in which case there is indeed no point in other unsuccessful candidates applying.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Forumite
    Malthusian wrote: »
    So to automatically bar previous applicants from re-applying may come across as short-sighted and I can see why the OP is frustrated.

I've been on an interview panel when we've been disappointed with all the candidates and haven't appointed anyone.

When we re-advertised, there was no point any of those people re-applying because they couldn't have been seen again. It would have been a waste of their time.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I've been on an interview panel when we've been disappointed with all the candidates and haven't appointed anyone.

When we re-advertised, there was no point any of those people re-applying because they couldn't have been seen again. It would have been a waste of their time.

Exactly that ^^^
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Or, on meeting them, the interviewers realise that the applicant wouldn't fit into the team.

It's important to get a good personality match as well as someone with the right qualification.

I was trying to be polite and not say, 'the prospect of spending more than two minutes in your incredibly dull company would make me want to gouge my eyes out with a blunt instrument':D.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,739
    Forumite
    How long does it apply for, the same position or are we talking all future roles as well? If the same position then fair enough, it's a waste of everyone's time to reapply. However if it's two years after the previous interview then that person could have improved drastically in that time. For the record I've never seen this on a job advert.

Saying that interviews aren't fullproof. I know people who give terrible interviews but are excellent at their jobs and vice versa. However I'm not sure if there's a better way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure