Baby steps to mortgage freedom for beanielou.

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Just too add that also this in one of the only years I can remember not going out to buy extra pressies thinking thinking I had not bought whoever enough.
    I felt mean but stood strong.
    I feel better for it as well.
    Most likely not other than to make me feel less mean ( & less of a failure I suppose). My DS has never only had just 1 parcel to open(which doesent mean that was right either BTW).
    Ho hum.
    Oh beanie! This sounds like it was really, really tough for you :( In your first post, I read it that you'd bought items that you were happy with, and enough that you were happy with - but if you've had a years-long habit of "extra" buying, and you've only just broken that this year, its going to feel like being mean. Accept that thats how you feel, yes, but there's a lot of consumerist propaganda in there, remember.

You stood strong, and you felt better. Remember that feeling too, please :kisses3:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Latecomer to your Diary Beanie. I am sure it will be a corker as you countdown to finishing off the mortgage.

I am only going to add a couple of things:

1. Never feel mean for buying one present per person. Try a secret Santa next year. Also do you feel mean or sorry for a person who buys you one present? I am sure you don't.

2. You put a roof over heads and food on the table, that makes you so much more than a present giver. That makes you a provider and a person who strives to keep everything afloat. You are richer than many in this world and keep on remembering that you do so much and are so inventive in a world which conspires against you.

3. You give so much to others freely-that is more than any present, it is a wonderful gift.

There i have said my bit. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours Beanie.

Bob x
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I shall be following your progress and trying to get my act together to get some decent OP's myself. We're looking to downsize in 18months which would leave us MF but I'd like to get a bit more paid off so it helps out the other end.

Plodding is fun x
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options

I am only going to add a couple of things:

1. Never feel mean for buying one present per person. Try a secret Santa next year. Also do you feel mean or sorry for a person who buys you one present? I am sure you don't.

2. You put a roof over heads and food on the table, that makes you so much more than a present giver. That makes you a provider and a person who strives to keep everything afloat. You are richer than many in this world and keep on remembering that you do so much and are so inventive in a world which conspires against you.

3. You give so much to others freely-that is more than any present, it is a wonderful gift.

BRAVO Bob :T:T:T:T That is absolute stonker of a supportive post :T:T:T:T Most especially point No. 2.

:wave: to Beanie

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Absolutely agree with BoB - you're doing your best and that is more than enough :)

Didn't realise you had a diary - have subscribed :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beanie :wave: just stumbled across your diary... have now subscribed x :D
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just found your diary beanie - you are the nicest and one of the most supportive posters on these boards and you deserve oodles of support and positive vibes in return. Good luck honey xxx
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Lots my very lovely MSE friends popping in to say hello.
    Lovely to see you all :wave:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Just too add that also this in one of the only years I can remember not going out to buy extra pressies thinking thinking I had not bought whoever enough.

What gives you the feeling that one is not "enough"? It is a cliche that "it's the thought that counts" - but it is. All this "more is more" stuff is media - advertising time bought by people who want you to buy more of their offerings than you need.

It is them who entice people to pile their trollies up to the ceiling and heave them around the supermarket "for Christmas". The shops are only closed for 1 single day people. Then the same people throw out all the uneaten food because they've bought enough to feed the 5,000. You will have seen the advertising on the telly, where there's 2 adults, and 2 children, praying around a whale of a turkey big enough to hide the dog inside.

It's good that you resisted.

I've had the opposite problem this year. I spent more than I needed, but feel I let people down because I didn't put enough thought into the presents. Christmas kind-of took me by surprise this year (I know...) and I didn't even send cards to some people I was going to. :o
    I felt mean but stood strong.
    I feel better for it as well.

Good for you! :T
    Most likely not other than to make me feel less mean ( & less of a failure I suppose). My DS has never only had just 1 parcel to open(which doesent mean that was right either BTW).
    Ho hum.

It's not "just" one parcel. It's a parcel from you, chosen with love.

Remember that - don't sell yourself short.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Wise words as always Z~~thank you.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback