PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dispute over driveway

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    anselld wrote: »
    Presumably that is your car parked bottom left and the let property is to the right of the photo?

Why do you feel you should be able to park on the drive but your neighbours should not?

Because OP owns the land according to his/her deeds.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    That's better than the Zoopla link, which gave me access to all the house history with the local planning dept etc!

It's a very odd set-up, but it looks as if the neighbour also has a parking slot next to their garage too, which they could use, so it ought to be OK if people are considerate.

But you do need to sort out who owns what, and there cannot be two valid plans unless the drive was sold off to the neighbour, which I doubt.
  • anselld wrote: »
    Presumably that is your car parked bottom left and the let property is to the right of the photo?

Why do you feel you should be able to park on the drive but your neighbours should not?

If that's the situation - then it looks as if "drive in front of my house" is just on OPs land and there isnt access over that particular drive to the neighbours house and it is just that houses' drive. It looks as if OP needs to drive over the other drive in order to get to their drive - and hence it cant be blocked or they wouldnt be able to do so.
  • moneysaver12
    moneysaver12 Posts: 2,027
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    1. Whose garage is it in the picture - yours or the neighbours?

2. In your second photo - is the car I can see yours and sitting on what you refer to as "your drive in front of your house"?

3. If thats the neighbours garage - where is yours?

The garage is the neighbours. They have a drive right outside their house.

In the second picture that is my car. Our garage is behind my car.
    Married 09/09/09
  • moneysaver12
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    That's better than the Zoopla link, which gave me access to all the house history with the local planning dept etc!

It's a very odd set-up, but it looks as if the neighbour also has a parking slot next to their garage too, which they could use, so it ought to be OK if people are considerate.

But you do need to sort out who owns what, and there cannot be two valid plans unless the drive was sold off to the neighbour, which I doubt.

I agree it is strange. It's like the builders just shoved a house on the end.

They do have a drive right outside their house which is within their front garden. It does look like it ishould not the easiest drive to access.

We can park on this second drive. But we don't as we would have move our car every time our neighbour needed to get to their drive or leave their drive.

If they park on our drive outside the garage then part of their car is outside our garden. This is where me and my husband are in disagreement. He thinks we should let them park outside their garage as long as they keep to the top so it does not make it difficult for us to access the drive next to our house. Whereas I don't think we should allow any parking.
    Married 09/09/09
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 18 March 2017 at 9:46AM
    Common sense suggests the area in front of the silver car should not be parked on by anyone as access is required.

Op, Could the edge of the area needing to be kept clear or preferably the boundary be marked across the driveway with metal studs or inset bricks? This could help prevent future problems.

Does your boundary follow the line of the fence? If so its not defined as yours at all.

Personally I wouldn't allow parking there. It would set a precedent which would become an assumed right leading to later disputes.
  • moneysaver12
    Forumite
    If that's the situation - then it looks as if "drive in front of my house" is just on OPs land and there isnt access over that particular drive to the neighbours house and it is just that houses' drive. It looks as if OP needs to drive over the other drive in order to get to their drive - and hence it cant be blocked or they wouldnt be able to do so.

We do need to drive on the second drive in order to access the drive that is right outside our hoyse. Like you say the drive can't be blocked as we wouldn't be able to get on our drive. The paper work says that drive is ours and neighbours have access.
    Married 09/09/09
  • moneysaver12
    Forumite
    Common sense suggests the area in front of the silver car should not be parked on by anyone as access is required.

Op, Could the edge of the area needing to be kept clear or preferably the boundary be marked across the driveway with metal studs or inset bricks? This could help prevent future problems.

You would think it was common sense. Bit when ll was preparing the hpuse to let. He would park his big car outside the garage. Then on occasions there would be a car parked behind his. When then made getting off the drive difficult and I couldn't get back on the drive.

Before the house sold I did park on the second drive. Then it sold and ll asked me not to park on it anymore. I stopped parking there and parked outside our house.

Looks like ll thought I was parking on his property
    Married 09/09/09
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2017 at 9:50AM
    In your position - I'd say that the neighbour is entitled to park on the drive leading to their garage - as long as in the process they don't block your access in any way.

I would certainly hate it if they parked in front of my front lawn (ie where I could see their car "slap bang in my face" the second I looked out my front window. But then I don't have a car myself........

The question is, purely and simply, though as to whether they have legal ownership of that part of the drive leading up to their garage. If they do - they are perfectly entitled to park there (even if their car would be an eyesore to a non car-owner such as myself).

If they don't own that bit of drive - then they certainly arent entitled to park on it (even if not blocking your access). The question then arises as to whether they have Right of Way to drive up that drive into their garage - and I would imagine there must be a provision written down in your/their Title Plan/Registration document saying that they do (because it would be ridiculous to have a garage one physically wasnt allowed to drive into).

It's easy enough though@
    - Your set of papers on the one hand
    - Their set of papers on the other hand (which you can get instantly over the Internet for just a few £s).

Compare the two to see:
    - just who owns that bit of drive
    - if you are the owner of it - then check for anything written about them having a ROW.

EDIT; Even if you are the owner of that drive to his garage - you arent allowed to park on it yourself - as you would be blocking his ROW.
  • Crossposted. Seen your latest posts.

I am wondering whether LL does know its your drive - but the point he is making (somewhat inarticulately) is that you arent legally allowed to block his Right of Way. He is correct on that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure