Real-life MMD: Whose glitch is it anyway?

Comments

• Spatton
    Spatton Posts: 36
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Something similar happened to me and the money wasn't taken at the time (it was a payment by cheque which they didn't cash). Cheques expire after 6 months, but I still owe them the money and nearly two years later they have come to ask for it. I don't really have a choice but to pay as I've had use of the goods for all this time. It would be surprising if the exchange didn't work out where they were missing their money from eventually and they've got every right to ask for it back. At least in the meantime you / your friend get to earn interest (at a paltry rate - granted!).
  • qetu1357
    qetu1357 Posts: 1,013
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 October 2012 at 7:21AM
    Be honest, repay the bureau.

But then check the weekly MSE email.

Tesco have mispriced catherdral city cheese at a £1 and the weekly email from MSE is telling us to exploit it.

Surely it is wrong to exploit this when it was not Tesco's intention to sell the cheese for a £1?
  • So, you’ve paid for your euros, presumably spent them on holiday and now you want your money back ? This is not on, is it ? It’s a matter between your friend, his conscience and the bureau de change who supplied the euros. It's your friend's moral dilemma, here is a clue as to what he should do : He has got some money in his bank account which doesn't belong to him . . .
  • georgim
    georgim Posts: 37 Forumite
    He doesn't sound like a very nice friend. As everyone has said the travel bureau will most likely debit the cash another day, so let him deal with it, and you can basque in the glory of being morally correct.
  • weebit
    weebit Posts: 411 Forumite
    Your friend should keep hold of the money because sooner or later, the BDC will take the £200 from him!
    Aiming to pay off £50,312.94 in less than 3 years - Starting from December 2015
    Current debt total: £32,756.02 (as of 1st March 2018)
    Date Free Date Aim: Summer 2019 (8 extra months needed :( )
  • It's his money.... It's his account and he did you a favour.
    Why didn't you do it yourself? You're only jealous because he was lucky to get the glitch.... Get over it!!
  • Sneezy
    Sneezy Posts: 570 Forumite
    Ring the exchange and tell them.

When they notice (and potentially maybe unable to see where there was a shortfall) it could be someone's job on the line and/or deduction of wages
    Using my phone to post - apologies in advance for any typos
  • Inverness
    Inverness Posts: 269
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 17 October 2012 at 7:59AM
    This "glitch" is an honest mistake. Keeping the bureau's money, mistakenly left in the friend's account, is a criminal offence under the Theft Act 1968. Conviction offers your friend the opportunity to enjoy up to 10 years imprisonment.
  • Cimscate
    Cimscate Posts: 145
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd ask for the money back and get a new friend!!
  • Amazes me how many dishonest people there are on this thread. The money isn't yours. Neither is it your friend's. Please give it back and give a us all a glimmer of hope that there is at least some understanding of community and fairness in the world. What are the possible repercussions of keeping it? Someone could lose their job!

A friend of mine recently transferred £500 to my account by accident (he'd just transferred some money to me for something else and forgot to change the recipient details). Should I have kept that? Of course not...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure