EBay and PayPal rip-off charges

Comments

• amy_love
    amy_love Posts: 108 Forumite
    I agree its a lot, and often its easier to take clothes to the charity shop than spend all that time to earn little profit however if you sell at a carboot sale you'll get pence for the item and people will still try and knock you down, plus there is the cold, as someone said....
    Student Moneysaver going to Paris next year! Trying to save!

Engaged to be civilly partnered 2012
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    the fact is why do people use ebay over the likes of ebid?
    because they get more sales on ebay and the chance of higher sales prices
    so for this service you pay.
    i agree it adds up but thats the choice you make in listing as there are alternatives and plenty of online resources to check the toal costs
  • I’m fuming about the new EBay Fees - 10% final value fee, are eBay having a joke!!
    I wrote a letter of complaint only to get a standard email back. Which I replied to – then I get the exact same STANDARD email again....customer service I THINK NOT.

Can you speak to a human being at eBay anymore? NO. It’s all automated emails.

I sold some tickets I did not need on eBay - thought I’d get something back on them until eBay charged me 10% fee and I’ve not lost £55 on the tickets because of this fee.

The tickets were £345 – sold for £410 = eBay charge £39 – PayPal charge £14.14 – I’m left with £10 profit. Thanks EBAY.

EBAY ARE GREEDY MONEY GRABBERS......BOYCOTT EBAY
    Sign the petition at petitions (dot) number10 (dot) gov (dot) uk / ebayripoff
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,009
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Jaimered wrote: »
    I’m fuming about the new EBay Fees - 10% final value fee, are eBay having a joke!!
    I wrote a letter of complaint only to get a standard email back. Which I replied to – then I get the exact same STANDARD email again....customer service I THINK NOT.

Can you speak to a human being at eBay anymore? NO. It’s all automated emails.

I sold some tickets I did not need on eBay - thought I’d get something back on them until eBay charged me 10% fee and I’ve not lost £55 on the tickets because of this fee.

The tickets were £345 – sold for £410 = eBay charge £39 – PayPal charge £14.14 – I’m left with £10 profit. Thanks EBAY.

EBAY ARE GREEDY MONEY GRABBERS......BOYCOTT EBAY
    Sign the petition at petitions (dot) number10 (dot) gov (dot) uk / ebayripoff
    What in earth is a petition going to do? Certainly a fine waste of time and effort. Don't like the charges, don't use them, it ain't compulsary:confused:

Ebay is a business, like any other they are in it for the profit.
  • chja
    chja Posts: 913 Forumite
    It's a business not a charity- if you don't like their fees then don't use the service.

The risk of putting something on at 99p is that it will only sell for 99p - eBay will take 10% (not quite 60%) + paypal fees if thats the way you are paid.
  • Jaimered wrote: »
    I’m fuming about the new EBay Fees - 10% final value fee, are eBay having a joke!!

Surely you can just start your listing at a higher price...
    Or go to an auction house and see if you like their fees.

And I dunno if I'm in the minority here, but it was obvious to me how much a percentage of my money is going to be paid to paypal + ebay as fees, and...well, I'm 14. :confused:
    Undergrad law student. Take my advice with a pinch of salt! :rotfl:
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    >and...well, I'm 14.<

You should be tucked in at this time of night, not on t'interwebs! Skool day tomorrow! ;)
  • Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am :o
    Undergrad law student. Take my advice with a pinch of salt! :rotfl:
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,009
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    And I dunno if I'm in the minority here, but it was obvious to me how much a percentage of my money is going to be paid to paypal + ebay as fees, and...well, I'm 14. :confused:
    There does seem to be some strange feelings about Ebay and their charges that I've never quite understood. There are many companies who I think charge exorbitant prices, so I don't deal with them. Ebay is hardly comparable to charges for gas or electric or even petrol when there really isn't a great deal you can do about the prices. Ebay isn't the only place where you can sell goods, its probably the most convenient with the most customers but essentially that's what you're paying for.
    If even a 14 year old can work that out......;)
  • andybk
    andybk Posts: 172
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    came to the conclusion many years ago unless you can clear at least £5-£10 not woth the hassle of listing on ebay , anything less sell at a carboot , or down the tip
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure