What is the 3 network coverage like generally?

Options
Paradigm
Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Obviously it will vary but as I drive for a living it's pretty difficult to check coverage in every place I might have to go.

I'm currently with EE but I'm not paying their prices for sim only when I can get better from 3... depending on coverage.
Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!

Comments

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I *think* 3's coverage is getting better over time.

If you've a phone that supports it they have something called Super Voice. It works on the 800MHz 4G network meaning less "black spots" apparently.

They have the Three In Touch app too so if you're somewhere with Wi-Fi you'd be able to make/receive calls and texts over that as well.

They do offer free SIMs here: https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order if your phone is unlocked from EE
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Paradigm wrote: »
    Obviously it will vary but as I drive for a living it's pretty difficult to check coverage in every place I might have to go.

I'm currently with EE but I'm not paying their prices for sim only when I can get better from 3... depending on coverage.

They have no 2G coverage (but do have an agreement to roam onto the old Orange network in some parts of the UK, only for voice and text though, no data).
    Their 3G is pretty good, their 4G is pretty bad when compared to EE.

If you are always in and around a big city it's quite usable, but don't expect EE type coverage generally.
    ====
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hmm.

I am on Tesco (so O2), but looking at the 3 UL texts, UL minutes, 4Gb of data. For my street, it says good outside, not so good inside. O2's map fairs better but both are about the same using OfCom's map.

I will get a free sim and check it out but it's likely I'll change anyway. Inside the house is generalyl okay as we have good WiFi coverage, but for the extra data, and £1 less a month, I'm happy to change.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've found that 3 is no worse than Tesco used to be for me. Added bonus is the 3 in touch app which means that I can now receive texts and calls at home. (None of the networks give me a signal inside at home)

To be fair if EE had something that allowed me to receive calls and texts at home I would try them. But sadly they don't.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Their 3G coverage will be very similar to EEs as they share that infrastructure.

I find their network to be better for data (possibly less congested) than EEs even with that network's far superior 4G coverage.

EE indoor coverage was marginally better (with the addition of EE 2G) but nothing like Voda/O2s indoor coverage.

A free sim is worth ordering but make sure it's a phone one as the mifi/device data ones won't give 2G coverage in rural areas.
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mine is great! Newark, Notts, NG24
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »

To be fair if EE had something that allowed me to receive calls and texts at home I would try them. But sadly they don't.

They do, unlike the rubbish inTouch app Three have, EE have proper built in WifiCalling available on a variety of handsets.
    ====
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    You can check the coverage of all networks at:
    http://webcoveragemap.rootmetrics.com/en-GB

The data presented depends to a large extent on end users of their free App testing upload/download at various locations. A blank entry doesn't always mean no data or coverage.

I find the 3 network generally OK, both for calls and data. However, they lack data capacity in many locations which can result in mediocre data rates at peak times. For example a seaside town with a large caravan park on a wet Saturday evening.

Three have good free roaming on some packages with their "feel at home" which now covers pretty much all of Europe and a few other countries too (42 countries at the last count). However, data rates on "feel at home" rely on the host network having spare capacity... which isn't always the case in some busy locations. We use "feel at home" extensively in Spain and find it excellent value as we have lots of minutes and 12 GB of data per month to waste sending holiday snaps back home for no extra cost!
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheers guys I might give a payg sim a try first, my contract doesn't end until next month so there's no rush.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    They do, unlike the rubbish inTouch app Three have, EE have proper built in WifiCalling available on a variety of handsets.

Only if you get the handset from them.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family