PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Overlockers - advice please!

Comments

• Phil25 wrote: »
    My wife has used a Toyota overlocker for several years, loves it and has had no problems. She uses it a lot - it is 4 thread and I think the model is SL3314 which sells at about £150 now:

www.sewlow.co.uk/toyota-sl3314-overlocker.html
    Hi, I just joined the forum and have been eagerly reading about overlockers. I would like to get one but I am still not sure which One to go for. I would like a complete package with the extra feet but I have not used one before. Is the Toyota SL3314 really worth buying. It seems like a really good deal on the website but I am not sure whether I should get one from a shop or buy from the internet just incase something goes wrong. Does your wife use all the different feet? Sorry, first time posting and I am bombarding you with questions. I don't really have anybody to ask round here. Thanks.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Overlockers are not the easiest of machines to master. :mad:

I would recommend trying several makes at a sewing shop before deciding which to buy.
    It doesn't mean you have to buy from the shop, but it gives you an idea of what to look for when making your choice. :)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Squirm
    Squirm Posts: 6 Forumite
    Rikki wrote: »
    Overlockers are not the easiest of machines to master. :mad:

I would recommend trying several makes at a sewing shop before deciding which to buy.
    It doesn't mean you have to buy from the shop, but it gives you an idea of what to look for when making your choice. :)
    Thanks for the advice. The only problem I have is the lack of shops round here. I know there is a janome dealer and another that does silver. Not heard of that make before. Will have to go and pay a visit.
  • Squirm
    Just seen a silver viscount overlocker 720d for £169 on a site and it comes with all the extra feet. Has anyone any experience of this brand? It seems like a really good deal but it is only that price for a limited time. I am very tempted. the site is coopersewingmachines.com.I thought this was a good price for a 4 thread overlocker.
  • Phil25
    Phil25 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phil25 viewpost.gif
    My wife has used a Toyota overlocker for several years, loves it and has had no problems. She uses it a lot - it is 4 thread and I think the model is SL3314 which sells at about £150 now:

www.sewlow.co.uk/toyota-sl3314-overlocker.html

Hi, I just joined the forum and have been eagerly reading about overlockers. I would like to get one but I am still not sure which One to go for. I would like a complete package with the extra feet but I have not used one before. Is the Toyota SL3314 really worth buying. It seems like a really good deal on the website but I am not sure whether I should get one from a shop or buy from the internet just incase something goes wrong. Does your wife use all the different feet? Sorry, first time posting and I am bombarding you with questions. I don't really have anybody to ask round here. Thanks.

I don't use the machine myself but to try and answer some of your questions:
    - when we bought the machine from our local shop they recommended the Toyota as a very good machine for the price.
    - I have since bought 2 sewing/embroidery machines on the internet with no problems. As mentioned I would try to get to a shop and try the machine out first but then buy online if you can find a cheaper price. Still comes with the same warranty etc.
    - I know my wife does use most of the accessories but what particular feet I couldn't say!
    - what part of the country are you? Through my wife's embroidery business I've got to know sewing shops all over the country...
    - Cooperssewingmachines have the Toyota for £139.95 including some extras or
    http://www.sewingworld.co.uk/Toyota_SL3314.html for £138.94 with free 10 year warranty
    Hope this helps.
  • Phil25 wrote: »
    - I have since bought 2 sewing/embroidery machines on the internet with no problems. As mentioned I would try to get to a shop and try the machine out first but then buy online if you can find a cheaper price. Still comes with the same warranty etc.

quote]

I know this is moneysaving but I find this so sad. I bought my new machine from a local independent having spent ages trying out different machines and getting help and advice. Yes I would have saved myself some money buying over the net but very soon now all these independents will have gone bust so where will we go to try things out?
  • Squirm
    Thanks for all the helpful advice. In the end I opted for the Silver Viscount 720D. There is a shop in York which deals with them so that was helpful. I did end up ordering it off the internet though. My new toy should arrive tomorrow and I already have a whole list of things I want to try !!!!!!!.

Thanks to all again.
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Squirm wrote: »
    Just seen a silver viscount overlocker 720d for £169 on a site and it comes with all the extra feet. Has anyone any experience of this brand? It seems like a really good deal but it is only that price for a limited time. I am very tempted. the site is coopersewingmachines.com.I thought this was a good price for a 4 thread overlocker.

cooperssewingmachines are a good firm, i got my Toyota quilter from them.:D
  • I've just bought a Janome overlocker and am v. excited (sad but true!). I have watched the dvd and had a play and have also rethreaded it.
    Now I want to use it!!!! but of course need loads of thread.
    Can anyone advise me on the best threads to use for man made fibres and also the best place to buy thread cheaply.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Squirm
    I received my overlocker last week. Couldn't wait to get going but had no large spools of thread. At the moment I am just using normal cotton and it seems to be working fine. I seem to recall mention of some sites in the early forum messages about overlockers. It may be an idea just to have a quick look through them. I am sure there were some websites mentioned. Jaycotts are usually good so I would give them a try. Think the other site mentioned was empressmills.co.uk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure