Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frugalacademic
    • By frugalacademic 15th Nov 17, 12:33 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    frugalacademic
    Ending tenancy
    • 15th Nov 17, 12:33 AM
    Ending tenancy 15th Nov 17 at 12:33 AM
    Hello

I am gooing to need some help here. I a two months in my tenancy (in a year contract) and the relation with my landlord has pretty much soured. We had a fight and he said he does not want unhappy tenants and is willing to end the tenancy agreement without penalty. I do not trust this guy too much and want to make sure that if we end mutually, I get my deposit* back. Is there a template letter for mutual agreement where I can write in a section about the deposit?

*About the deposit: I did not receive any details about the protection scheme so I don't think he put it in a protection scheme. Is there a way to find out if my deposit is in a scheme without having to pass through him. I don't want to deal with him more than necessary.
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Nov 17, 12:54 AM
    • 41,950 Posts
    • 48,552 Thanks
    G_M
    • 15th Nov 17, 12:54 AM
    • 15th Nov 17, 12:54 AM
    I assume you also want to end the tenancy? So you and the LL need to agree an 'Early Surrender'.

I suggest this is agreed in writing, with an agreed date and terms. I assume you do not wish to pay for the priviledge!

See draft below.

As for the deposit, if it is not protected, then don't worry. And don't mention it at this stage - get the Early Surrender agreed in writing first.

If, once the tenancy has ended, there is a problem over the deposit, you simply write to him at that time pointing out that as he failed to protect it, as requierd by the Housing Act, you could claim a penalty from him of 3 times the deposit (on top of the deposit itself). He is unlikely to want you to do this so will probably rapidly return your deposit.....

dear Mr Landlord,

Further to our conversation yesterday (on xxth November/whenever), I understand that you wish me/us to surrender my tenancy early.

I am willing to agree to this, and propose the xxth december (or whenever) as the date of termination. I shall vacate the property by 12.00 noon on that date.

Kindly confirm in writing that your agreement to this Early Surrender, on xxth december, without penalty, and advise me what arrangement you wish for the return of the keys.

Yours sincerely

unhappyacademic
    Last edited by G_M; 15-11-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

418Posts Today

4,650Users online

Martin's Twitter