Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rose46
    • By Rose46 20th Jan 16, 10:56 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Rose46
    Any tips on how to stand out when house hunting?
    • 20th Jan 16, 10:56 PM
    Any tips on how to stand out when house hunting? 20th Jan 16 at 10:56 PM
    Well if I wasn't losing faith in the thread I posted a while ago, here I go again! Although I am trying to channel frustrations and feeling disheartened into being determined to fight this house battle!!

We're trying to think of ways to stand out from the crowd in our house hunt because at the moment all that's happening is we're being crowded into open days to view properties with loads of other people, you never meet the owners so there's no personality to it, the estate agents couldn't give two hoots who you are despite trying to give them any of our 'story' and then we just get outbid on places and start all over again.

So how can we be different?! We're thinking of leafleting in roads we like etc but that seems a bit of a gamble and low chances.

Other than that just putting together a pack to present to the estate agent/homeowner when we offer on a property to try and put a face to the figure, give a bit of bio and show we're financially worthy!!

I mean we're nice people! But this market is cruel
Page 1
    • jayII
    • By jayII 20th Jan 16, 11:01 PM
    • 39,912 Posts
    • 106,409 Thanks
    jayII
    • 20th Jan 16, 11:01 PM
    • 20th Jan 16, 11:01 PM
    Most sellers will just want the highest price possible in a busy market. The difference can be thousands of pounds and people are unlikely to forfeit that sort of cash just because they like someone.

Try looking at slightly cheaper houses, so you are in a position to outbid those with less money than you.
    15.9.17. Balance: £10360.87/Mortg: £174,906.67

No spend on non-essentials year. To date: £

• Rose46
    • By Rose46 20th Jan 16, 11:22 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rose46
    • 20th Jan 16, 11:22 PM
    • 20th Jan 16, 11:22 PM
    Yeah I know what you're saying and if there were cheaper houses or maisonettes to look at we would! But not much is coming up for much less than our max budget and even at that we're still compromising on a lot so its tricky
    • jayII
    • By jayII 20th Jan 16, 11:29 PM
    • 39,912 Posts
    • 106,409 Thanks
    jayII
    • 20th Jan 16, 11:29 PM
    • 20th Jan 16, 11:29 PM
    It's a tough market in some places! Good luck.
    15.9.17. Balance: £10360.87/Mortg: £174,906.67

No spend on non-essentials year. To date: £

• buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 21st Jan 16, 12:14 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 21st Jan 16, 12:14 AM
    • 21st Jan 16, 12:14 AM
    Make sure all your finances are in place, you have a mortgage in principle so you can prove it too estate agents but yeah ultimately you will need to be the highest bidder...

The last house I bought about a year ago after sealed bids I was slightly lower than the highest bidder but the sellers were desperate to buy another property, as I was a cash buyer with no mortgage and ready to go as soon as they needed they chose me over the highest bidder, never found out how much more they offered but doubt it was much more than £500.

Feel for you as its really tough, the only practical advice I would say is hold out till after April, at the start of the new tax year second home owners and BTL owners will have to pay an extra 3% SDLT so at the moment anyone thinking about buying is desperately trying to find somewhere to complete before April to avoid the extra tax... There are often more properties that come to the market in the spring time, try buying a fixer upper, for mortgage purposes will need to have a bathroom kitchen etc and be in a livable state, I know things like an avacado bathroom suite are not great but as long as its functional you can always change it over time, this will also add value.
    • Rose46
    • By Rose46 21st Jan 16, 12:23 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rose46
    • 21st Jan 16, 12:23 AM
    • 21st Jan 16, 12:23 AM
    Make sure all your finances are in place, you have a mortgage in principle so you can prove it too estate agents but yeah ultimately you will need to be the highest bidder...

The last house I bought about a year ago after sealed bids I was slightly lower than the highest bidder but the sellers were desperate to buy another property, as I was a cash buyer with no mortgage and ready to go as soon as they needed they chose me over the highest bidder, never found out how much more they offered but doubt it was much more than £500.

Feel for you as its really tough, the only practical advice I would say is hold out till after April, at the start of the new tax year second home owners and BTL owners will have to pay an extra 3% SDLT so at the moment anyone thinking about buying is desperately trying to find somewhere to complete before April to avoid the extra tax... There are often more properties that come to the market in the spring time, try buying a fixer upper, for mortgage purposes will need to have a bathroom kitchen etc and be in a livable state, I know things like an avacado bathroom suite are not great but as long as its functional you can always change it over time, this will also add value.
    Originally posted by buggy_boy
    I love avocado! hehe

Hard to hear wait til April cos e've already been looking or so long, feels like the goal posts are being moved further away all the time not closer... but I know you're probably right so thanks for the sympathy and also advice!

There is definitely more coming on the market but it's still the case of low supply high demand and yet we are in a good position, we have all the things you say, AIP, good deposit and proof of it (bloody hard earnt savings!!), no chain. We've sorted out our solicitor, a broker just in case, looked a local surveyors etc, thought we might as well whilst it's been quiet. So we are literally ready to go!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 21st Jan 16, 7:10 AM
    • 30,298 Posts
    • 18,116 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 21st Jan 16, 7:10 AM
    • 21st Jan 16, 7:10 AM
    Want to stand out

More money and higher offers.

You won't have to wait for April the window to close deals will close sooner. Probably end Feb/March, be on the lookout for those that pullout when they realise they can't hit the deadline.(actually start now for relisted property).
    • rochey1098
    • By rochey1098 21st Jan 16, 7:45 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    rochey1098
    • 21st Jan 16, 7:45 AM
    • 21st Jan 16, 7:45 AM
    Unfortunately the only thing that gets heard in this day and age is money. People wont lose thousands just because they like you, it's just the way things are.

Best of luck
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 21st Jan 16, 7:59 AM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 21st Jan 16, 7:59 AM
    • 21st Jan 16, 7:59 AM
    Make sure you can proceed, i.e have a mortgage broker/DIP and solicitors and surveyors lined up.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 21st Jan 16, 9:18 AM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 7,697 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    I think the fact that you are finding...
    the estate agents couldn't give two hoots who you are despite trying to give them any of our 'story'
    is part of the problem and, if you recognise this, you may do better.

Why should the agent care, in a fast-moving market? Sure, in a quiet rural area, matching vendor and buyer helps the agent sell a house, and that's commission in the pocket, which is really what they care about. But, in a market where houses just sell fast after open days for more than the asking price, why would an agent want to (paraphrase coming up, in agent's mind) waste valuable selling time listening to just another bod prattling on....

If the market is sharp, turn up clear in your mind what property you want. Have finance in place. Be clear and committed, never woolly. Just state what you want, that you'll move fast and efficient. Maybe initially imply you'll take their recommendations as to solicitor, and even see their financial advisor after you've got toe in the door (which will earn them added commission). Just don't do it in the end, source your own.

But, at the end of it all, if you keep being outbid, none of that will help. You'll either need to look at cheaper property, or look in other areas. Almost nobody will accept less for a property based on the likeability of their potential buyer.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 21st Jan 16, 9:58 AM
    • 23,563 Posts
    • 89,420 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Almost nobody will accept less for a property based on the likeability of their potential buyer.
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    I did once turn down the offer of a Chinese gentleman, partly because of the way he treated his wife and daughter whilst viewing.

Mind you, the fact he wanted us out of the house and into rented, pronto, also played its part.....as did his offer of 10% below asking in a (then) very hot market.

If only I'd seen Northern Rock and all that was to follow, coming around the corner with our next buyers' lie-to-buy mortgage.

Now, I'd sell to Vladimir Putin, so long as he had the readies!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 21st Jan 16, 10:02 AM
    • 5,432 Posts
    • 5,100 Thanks
    eddddy
    If you want to 'play the game' a bit more cynically, when you make your offer, you can make yourself stand out to the EA by saying things like:

- "I don't have a solicitor, can you recommend a good one?"

- "I've got an AIP, but I'm not sure if it's the best deal. If the offer is accepted, can I talk to your broker?"

Some EAs would push your offer harder to the vendor, because of the potential extra referral fees they could get,

And if the offer is accepted, then change your mind and use your own solicitor and broker.

(It's probably not the type of strategy you had in mind, but realistically, it's probably more likely to make a difference.)
    Last edited by eddddy; 21-01-2016 at 10:06 AM.
    • andre_xs
    • By andre_xs 21st Jan 16, 11:10 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    andre_xs
    Your area seems to have a very hot market, so I don't know whether the following does apply to your circumstances: Quite a few EAs keep "headstart" or "premium" lists of potential buyers. These potential buyers are then informed more quickly, e.g. immediately after they get information on a property and before it appears even on their homepage or on Rightmove etc. You may also get the chance for an earlier viewing.

If they are common in your area, try to get on these type of lists. For this you often have to meet their mortgage broker (be aware, too many mortgage "applications" in too short time can affect credit rating), but sometimes it is just fine to give them regular proactive phonecalls whether they have something new on the market.

I know exactly your situation of being just able to afford the cheapest available property... We were close to giving up, but then found something which looks quite run down from inside, but is structurally fine. New wallpapers and carpets, plus a few other minor things, and we can move in. However, this state of the property resulted in a considerably lower price than for comparable properties in a better state (where you can directly move in), so that we were able to afford it.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 21st Jan 16, 11:25 AM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 7,697 Thanks
    DaftyDuck

Now, I'd sell to Vladimir Putin, so long as he had the readies!.....
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I think you'd end up selling to sweet Vladi even if he didn't have the readies to hand.....
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 21st Jan 16, 11:43 AM
    • 21,190 Posts
    • 36,785 Thanks
    SailorSam
    If only ....... If only ......... If only i had a queue of people outside who all wanted to buy.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • Healthnut.2012
    • By Healthnut.2012 14th Nov 17, 10:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Healthnut.2012
    Not sure what more I could have done!
    Not sure this is "legal". Viewed a house Monday 9am, and whilst there made an offer for the asking price, and asked it to be removed from sale. Was told there was another viewing in the afternoon and I had to wait. So basically this morning (tuesday am) had to go to a sealed bid. So I offered £500 over what ever the others put in. This sent the poor agents into a quandry as suddenly they lost power and kept saying its probably not legal. Seemed a bit stiff to me, as not sure its "legal" to tell me to wait for another 2nd viewing. By they way we are ready to go, nothing to sell and all necessary in place. Willing to exchange in 2 weeks. So the result is we lost though apparently we both put in the same bid and were in the same position. Even though they had already been round when the price was higher and their 2nd viewing was following this previous rejection. Not sure there was anything else I could do. I sell new builds and its rather like me saying to one of my customers, yes I know you want it, and at list price but no you have to wait till somone else has a look too. I told them it was unfair and should have been first come first served, not my fault she couldnt get there till the afternoon. I assume its because its in the Estate Agents interest for all this and not particularly the vendor, if he even knew anything about it. Unfortunately he is not there so cant go and ask.
    This system needs to be tightened up!
    When diet is wrong medicine is of no use.
    When diet is correct medicine is of no need.
    ~Ayurvedic Proverb
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 14th Nov 17, 10:59 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Making an offer doesn't mean anything. You can't ask for the house to be removed from the market until your offer has been accepted by the vendor. It sounds as if your offer was never accepted because they said you had to wait until the vendor had had another viewing take place. So so far there is nothing that shouldn't have happened. You and another person were interested in the same property and the vendor hadn't decided who to sell it to.

You put in your sealed bid and the vendor decided to sell to the other person. What is wrong with that? Someone was going to lose out. This is nothing to do with the EA. The EA works for the vendor and it is ultimately the decision of the vendor who to sell the house to.

You can't make if first come first served or you take the choice away from the person selling the house. The first person would always make a low offer.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Nov 17, 11:04 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Not sure this is "legal". Viewed a house Monday 9am, and whilst there made an offer for the asking price, and asked it to be removed from sale. Was told there was another viewing in the afternoon and I had to wait. So basically this morning (tuesday am) had to go to a sealed bid. So I offered £500 over what ever the others put in. This sent the poor agents into a quandry as suddenly they lost power and kept saying its probably not legal. Seemed a bit stiff to me, as not sure its "legal" to tell me to wait for another 2nd viewing. By they way we are ready to go, nothing to sell and all necessary in place. Willing to exchange in 2 weeks. So the result is we lost though apparently we both put in the same bid and were in the same position. Even though they had already been round when the price was higher and their 2nd viewing was following this previous rejection. Not sure there was anything else I could do. I sell new builds and its rather like me saying to one of my customers, yes I know you want it, and at list price but no you have to wait till somone else has a look too. I told them it was unfair and should have been first come first served, not my fault she couldnt get there till the afternoon. I assume its because its in the Estate Agents interest for all this and not particularly the vendor, if he even knew anything about it. Unfortunately he is not there so cant go and ask.
    This system needs to be tightened up!
    Originally posted by Healthnut.2012
    Iíve read this twice and still donít really understand. Perhaps Iím just tired?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 14th Nov 17, 11:07 PM
    • 5,432 Posts
    • 5,100 Thanks
    eddddy
    Not sure this is "legal".
    <snip>
    Originally posted by Healthnut.2012
    You should have started a new thread as this is a new topic.

But anyway... based on your post, nobody has done anything illegal.

The seller can accept whatever offer they choose - it doesn't have to be the first offer they get, or the highest offer they get.

For example, the seller might have chosen not to accept your offer because they thought you seemed like a 'difficult' buyer. (TBH, your post does make you sound a bit like a 'difficult' buyer.)
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 14th Nov 17, 11:21 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Iíve read this twice and still donít really understand. Perhaps Iím just tired?
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    Put the word entitled in front of it and then read it again. Some people come from families where their parents gave them everything that the parents didn't have when they were children. It makes it very difficult for people to adjust when the rest of the world doesn't recognise that this person gets whatever they want.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

418Posts Today

4,650Users online

Martin's Twitter