Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 28th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 2,449Posts
    • 17,080Thanks
    misstara
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge
    • 28th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge 28th Oct 17 at 6:43 PM
    Welcome to the November NST challenge. November is probably one of my favourite months of the year - I love being all cosied up in warm clothes, all the leaves coming off the trees, the anticipation of Christmas coming up and even the dark nights, however, I know that many people dread this time of year so part of this challenge is to do with looking after your mental health.

November is a good time to have a bit of clear out and have a bonfire. I'm not asking you to actually have a bonfire but have a look through and see if there's anything that can be ebayed or put to the charity shop. November is also bonfire night. Most local councils put on a fireworks display so if you can, go along to watch.

November rules
    NSDs- set your own NSD target of over 12. As usual, household bills, medical expenses, budgeted travel expenses and ys items are exempt as long as that's all you spend.
    Organise - set your budgets now, pay to your debt/savings first. Organise any social things now, try and keep them low cost or free if possible. Look at your food budget, is there any savings to be made?
    Value for money - for all your purchases during November, I want you to ask yourself if you are getting value for your money. Look round for better deals, can you get it cheaper elsewhere?
    Exercise - I know the weather is getting colder and miserable but try to get outdoors for a bit each day even if just for 10 minutes. If you already do quite a lot of exercise, try something different. Go a different route when out walking/running or try a different gym class.
    Mental health - think of all the things you do to keep good mental health or strategies you have in place to combat poor mental health. As the long nights draw in, it can have an impact so try and do something daily to keep good mental health.
    Be Christmas ready - in October mothernerd encouraged us to get organised for Christmas so hopefully most of you are already pretty organised but for those you aren't (me!), start organising now. Plan who you are buying for, what you're buying and the budget. Can you add a few items of food to your weekly shop to spread the cost?
    Eat well - at this time of year, I tend to eat more stodgy food and there's always yummy snacks to be had so this month I'm going to make a conscious effort to eat better. If you already do this, pick another area to work on this month.
    Report - post daily if you can with a list of three things that you are grateful for.
    Last edited by misstara; 28-10-2017 at 9:55 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1349.50 (41.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 1/8, Gym 0/4. Groceries target £77.92/£150. NSD target 7/18.
Page 19
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 14th Nov 17, 9:02 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 19,205 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 14
    Was a spend day.
    Value for money - Needed teabags. Had a 50p off voucher. Brought my lunch and flask of tea into hospital again. This saves me a lot of money.
    Organise - Did a few things around the flat. This is the first time since my Mum went into hospital.
    Mental Health - Still not having a good night's sleep.
    Grateful for:
    My Mum eating a little more than she has done.
    Getting home at a reasonable time.
    Good bus connections.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge NSD 8/20 Food/household budget £48.23/£150
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 14th Nov 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 7,546 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Electrician didn't turn up today No contact either Sigh........
    Originally posted by greent
    I truly believe they are self employed because they have no choice
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 14th Nov 17, 10:30 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 1,796 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Mixed bag of a day-

Broke my tablet or at least hub broke it... Making a big effort not to sulk about it.
    Had a ridiculous conversation with the childcare credit man who told me he knew there was an issue with my automatic payment but couldnt tell me when it would be fixed (been broken since june) and I will get Novembers payment at some time but hes no idea when. I told him the system is so bad they must be leaving people facing genuine hardship and he agreed. Baffled.
    On the upside, great night for YS bread(4 loafs at 10p each) some free tuna via coupons.
    The charity I volounteer for got a wishlist from the ward my son was treated on & we are going to order what we can for them. I did a sky dive for them a few months ago and have done various other bits so its lovely to see it materialise into equiptment that can help families that find themselves with a seriously poorly baby, like we did.

Greatful for- my mum ordering me a toastie maker- too excited. Having a laugh at work. Coupons
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 14th Nov 17, 10:37 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 22,063 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Okay, really don't know what to say. Yesterday was good. Spent quite a lot of time sorting the craft cupboard. Haven't done the drawers, other than to pull out stuff I did not want in there. A huge hamper of stuff 'not needed before January' has been put on the bottom shelf. Stuff we want in the next few weeks is on 2 shelves and in the drawers. One bag has all the card and paper stock in, with labels.

The boys who put the stuff out for us have been getting everything out (5 shelves and the drawers) so when you are looking for something you are trying to look past all the things you don't want. Brought some thins home (some of my fabric plus bits of card I need to work on).

Just had time for a sandwich before exercise class. Good, tiring but exhilarating. Mum dropped me off saying I didn't need to go back with her. Went through loads of stuff (keep finding more in odd corners - thought I had done the buttons - into four small jars, but found more, enough embroidery threads to fill a set of 3 drawers (took them out to borrow the drawers for craft). Also did some 'samples' of card ideas I have for the group.

Worked for too long, was very tired and then 2 piles of stuff did a landslide. Oh dear.

Will pass over it as I don't want to dwell on it but today has not been a great day. Tired (used the alarm to make sure I woke up), aching, a bit sad, horrible grey day, feeling useless. I was talking to myself as I frequently do - apparently giving yourself pep talks to get through a task is helpful. But I was sitting on the edge of the bed with my socks in my hand and had to tell myself 3 times to put them on.

Got ready, packed my bag and went to mum's. Not done a lot but I have massaged body lotion into her feet, arms and legs and hands and made progress on a Christmas present. Sorted all the new pills the chemist had delivered and checked that the ones that need using first are in the right place. We also watched a Christmas film - slightly daft, slightly predictable but not sickly sweet.

Have come home and have to do something with the mess. I think a shortcut is in order. I will skim through as much of the paper craft and card making stuff as possible and put away anything I don't need in the the next few weeks (throw away anything damaged). Will put it in a box and hide it (possibly under the bed).

If I get that done tonight, I should be able to pick out the things Iwant to take to crafts tomorrow (mostly in order but some tiny bits taht are easily lost) and then I have all Thursday to clean properly, go through 'office type' paperwork, put the sorted stuff on the shelves and then deal with the rest.

Today I am grateful for a relaxing time, for my embroidery soothing me and (finding the goood in every situation) last night's 'disaster' giving me permission to throw some of the mess away - I have been stuck in the zero waste, must use every little scrap (or save it as it might come in some day).

Tomorrow is a new day. I will bounce back.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 14-11-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Nov #9 SFD 7/20 Food £31.50/£100 Travel £2.50/£10 DIY £/£30Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 14th Nov 17, 11:47 PM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 24,111 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all turtles

Checking in: 14/30

NSDs: 7/15 still on 7 as a shopping day today

Organise: Got home after 4 hours working in CS, very busy as we were very thin on the ground... then had to empty cabinets in dining room & finish painting, quite a task. Didn't really want to end up doing it last minute but consoling myself that it will all be done, be worth it & is helping us sort out what we have. Hoping that carpet fitters will take up ruined carpet as we haven't done it....tomorrow morning will have to remove cabinets, dining table & all stuff that is on top of it, should be do-able

Value for money - did a couple of surveys & have also received some stuff through the mail to complete, did this last year for RM & will never need to buy stamps ever again..

Exercise - not unless you count 4 hours working in CS & up & down ladders painting - very high ceilings here..

Mental health - Good

Be Christmas ready - got a couple of bits in CS as ever, couple of really large Christmas plates (was restrained, there were 6) & a small carving board.

Eat well - Not too bad...until supper when it was birthday cake again , of course we had 2 cakes & we had to test the second one. DH said he'd eat another slice of this one, as opposed to last nights - which no-one would want another piece of. And from M&S too...booo

Gratitudes - For the kind birthday wishes on here, much appreciated! Also still thrilled with cellar light (its the small things!) decent easy supper tonight as shattered. Warm bed & good book...

Glad to hear your mum is a little better Kerry Woman - I hope you get some sleep, it is hard to cope when you can't rest
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 15th Nov 17, 6:24 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 1,796 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi all

Just checking in.

NSD 8/16. Might go shopping tomorrow might hold off until fri. Need to be on 10 by sunday.

Value- on a mission to fill up my cupboards & freezer with YS. Been YS shooping twice this week and will go again. Ill go 3x per week until freezers full. Just need more meat really

Healthy eating and excersize- need to watch my eating, been doing well with excersize

Christmas- sorted will make more mince pies this wkend

Organise- will do house work after work tonight & tomorrow so I can enjoy my wkend with my boys

Mental health- all good
    • misstara
    • By misstara 15th Nov 17, 6:48 AM
    • 2,449 Posts
    • 17,080 Thanks
    misstara
    mothernerd hope you're feeling better today

NSDs - 9/18, I had been planning to go to the supermarket yesterday as we're almost out of a couple of things, however, didn't get round to it. Will definitely need to go today.

Organise - plan for yesterday after work was to go to my friends for coffee then supermarket, catch up on ironing, do some baking and prep meals for later on in the week. I ended up being at my friends until after 9 so didn't do any of it. So that will be the plan for tonight.

Value for money - no money spent.

Exercise - usual walk. I plan to go for a run after work today.

Mental health - laughs with my friend cheered me up but still not getting enough sleep and feeling stressed at work Running should help and I'll try to go to bed before 10.30 tonight.

Be Christmas ready -

Eat well - a good day yesterday although I really need to up my intake of fruit and veg. In a usual day, I eat no fruit and maybe 2 or 3 portions of veg depending on what I have for tea. Any tips on how to do this easily are much appreciated.

Report - 14/30, grateful for seeing my friend and her wee boy, surviving another day at work and coming home to a cosy flat.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1349.50 (41.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 1/8, Gym 0/4. Groceries target £77.92/£150. NSD target 7/18.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 15th Nov 17, 7:16 AM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 19,205 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    sashanut - Thank you.

Hugs to everyone.
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge NSD 8/20 Food/household budget £48.23/£150
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 15th Nov 17, 7:55 AM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 7,546 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Eat well - a good day yesterday although I really need to up my intake of fruit and veg. In a usual day, I eat no fruit and maybe 2 or 3 portions of veg depending on what I have for tea. Any tips on how to do this easily are much appreciated.
    Originally posted by misstara
    If you make a pot of soup, it will do 4- 5 meals, so if you ate one, had one in the fridge and put 3 in the freezer, you could make another pot the next week, eat one,one in the fridge for lunch/ quick snack meal/ tea, and put 3 in the freezer, you don't end up getting bored of soup because you have choices.
    Current favourites are
    tomato and red pepper,
    carrot and cumin (I have the dodgy 'coriander tastes like washing up liquid gene',
    red lentil and curry spices,
    corn, potato and butterbean chowder,
    broccoli and cheese,
    cauliflower cheese.
    Plus the 'bendy veg' soup to clear the drawer in the fridge - it sound better than 'fridge bottom soup' that my kids insist on calling it.

It also helps to keep down the size of your main meal, if you 3 course it.

If that all sounds too healthy, have an apple strudel and hot chocolate afterwards.

*******All soups are easily transportable in a flask! *********
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 15th Nov 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 7,546 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today will be NSD 7/12

I need nothing!!!

Today will be spent cleaning, tidying and making the house presentable for THE SURVEYOR on Friday......
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • BadBookkeeper
    • By BadBookkeeper 15th Nov 17, 10:13 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    BadBookkeeper
    Day 15 #18 checking in....
    NSD - Still 7/12 - today I've spent £3.87 at @ldi (washing tablets, xmas paper) school (£2 xmas concert tickets).
    Organise - Grocey budget now £149.73/£283 will have around £40 to be used against this tonight too.
    Value for Money - @ldi washing tablets £1.89 for 18 washes , xmas paper 99p for 12 metres. Any tips on YS items like where they are in stores and the best time to look for them? (I usually shop in t£sco)
    Exercise - Will park further away from school again. Quite enjoy this as saves fighting for a space at the school! Its also nice to have a little chat with DS on this walk.
    Mental Health - Good nights sleep again this is definitely helping me and being organised is helping too!
    Xmas/DS Birthday - Bought xmas wrapping paper, paid for school xmas concert tickets and as I appear to have nothing I HAVE to do this evening I will write some party invites for friends we will see this weekend save posting/delivering them nearer the time.
    Eat Well - Slipping here abit. Decided to just double up on what I have to make this easier. Didn't have water yesterday so will make sure I have some today.
    Be Grateful - DS is in the choir for concert this year. The last 2 yrs he's had speaking parts and really got stressed about it (he is only 5)! Hopefully he will enjoy it more this year. For the suggestion on here yesterday for a few other places to sell old DVDs as music m-pie would only pay £1.82 I have 10 so may list on eb@y for 99p each if other companies will only pay £2ish. But will check and go through TCB. I'm grateful too for this site. I've been abit fed up that I'm not really getting anywhere so read some of the DFW diaries from 1 year ago. Seeing how people have made a dent in their debt in 12 months has given me renewed enthusiasm.
    Declutter - Still dealing with DVDs but old magazines next on the list.....
    O/D - Took £10 out pocket money spends for DS haircut yesterday. This cost £6.50 gave a £1 tip (does anyone else still do this or is it acceptable not to)?? Bought a card for 99p, used £1 for concert tickets and 50p change went to: 10p DS money box and 40p my OD pot! So saved £13.40 against £1500 OD means £1486.60 left!

Lots of school money needed at the moment whilst I know its needed the raffle tickets for the Christmas fayre are to raise money for playground markings. They seem to have been raising money for this for the last 3 yrs!!!
    Last edited by BadBookkeeper; 15-11-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 15th Nov 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 22,063 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs to all who need them (or just want one) and many thanks to all of you for being there. Had a bit of a low mood hanging around, so mainly been reading along. Was up until 4am this morning, fixing the paper landslide. Not complete but all the 'not needed until January' stuff is in a box, my paperwork is in a small washing up bowl, found my 'code' book so checked my bank balance (wrote myself a note telling me how much of it isn't mine) and informed the WTC people about the new benefit (code for accessing gov serices was also in the book, but took some finding). This morning

My bounce is back.

Not sure how long it will last as still sleep deprived but aiming to get through 'till after crafts. Will then rest and then continue plodding (still finding sequins, buttons, pens etc everywhere). I am so grateful for the designated places I have managed to set up - zips, tape measures, another full bag of cotton reels all went straight into the little drawers. As I cleared the craft papers (mostly from magazines) I used some small baskets to hold stationery and other bits.

Located so many bits I have been looking for - Christmas embroidery (gifts for other people) is in one pile (there are bags with material, patterns, leftover scraps but this is the 'urgent' stuff - have to work out how many hours input is required before committing to any more). Found reindeer heads, scraps for antlers, more heads, felt brooches, safety pins for brooches, foil paper (old gift bags) and my phone - set it to charge overnight then needed it for the access code for the gov account.

Will get on now. See you later, wonderful turtles.
    NST Nov #9 SFD 7/20 Food £31.50/£100 Travel £2.50/£10 DIY £/£30Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 15th Nov 17, 4:06 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 8,651 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD 6/12.
    It was so cold today I have stayed in and done absolutely nothing apart from make a long list of things that I need to do
    On the plus side I haven't spent any money and lunch and dinner have come from freezer'
    Really must do better!!!!
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    • 6,404 Posts
    • 64,666 Thanks
    greent
    Clear Out - recycled a k1lner type bottle - don't know why I was holding onto it, as I was never going to use it as it had a lousy seal and was awkward to clean. Also recycled a jam jar from my stash as the lid had 'gone' and it has awkward nooks and crannies in the jar anyway (fancy one with fruit shapes in the glass which get stuff caught in them from the inside. I must go through the rest of my stash (in the garage), as I'm sure there are more which can go (didn't make any chutney this year, so I can afford to be a bit more selective in what I'm keeping )

NSDs - 3 - got one today!

Organise - set your budgets now, pay to your debt/savings first
    Food - £202.44/ £400 -
    Fuel (me) - £54.45/ £65
    Social - £125.74/ £150 -
    Toiletries - £2/ £10
    Clothes - £96.48/£100
    Gifts - £248.91 -

Value for money -haven't spent anything.

Exercise - hmmm.....

Mental health -Same as yesterday (and the day before, and the day before....)- more sleep than usual is helping here, as it's helping physical well-being. Getting some Xmas stuff sorted also helping.

Be Christmas ready - Lists done on laptop. Can now start to fill in gaps and know exactly what is still to be bought. Got everything out from under my bed, sorted it, even wrapped 4 presents and wrote half a dozen cards.

Eat well - Yes Last of the veggie-loaded bolog tonight - must make up another huge pot for the freezer

Report/ Gratitudes -
    * plasterer turning up - yeay! (only for quoting)
    * very garlic-y, chilli-y bolognaise
    * getting some washing line dried (not sure how much longer I can do this!)

Electrician re-booked for tomorrow......
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1214.99/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1730/2017 items
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 15th Nov 17, 8:25 PM
    • 4,602 Posts
    • 35,342 Thanks
    DawnW
    Checking in: Day 15/30

NSDs: Still 8/12 as I had to buy bread, bananas and teabags today. £4.50 spent, and I have updated the total in my signature

Organise: Not feeling very organised today (again) Did the ironing that was hanging around, took OH to the hospital for an x ray, and made a nice mushroom risotto for dinner

Decluttering: Just scraps of paper etc got rid of when tidying up. I still have the charity shop box on the table - I think I will look for a few more things to put in it tomorrow morning, and take it to the CS

Value for money - Shopped in Iceland, thought £4.50 was pretty good for branded teabags, a huge bag of bananas and a large loaf

Exercise - Just 2 slow, short dog walks Only excuse is that I have a slow, short dog! I really wish he would do long walks... sometimes I do, and have to carry him most of the way. He charges about like a mad thing at home, but just wants to sniff in familiar places when out, which is maddening!

Mental health - Not so good today

Be Christmas ready - Finished precooking all the Christmas puddings. DD took 2 of them as arranged. I will put the remaining one away in the larder tomorrow morning when it is cold. Wine arrived and all put away.

Eat well - Not bad, porridge, stewed apple and yogurt for breakfast, rice cakes and hummus for lunch and lovely mushroom risotto for dinner - I will say nothing about the 2 mince pies But they were only little, HM ones, not the huge bought ones that come in their own foil dishes.

Gratitudes - Struggling a bit today, but I am grateful for DD2 coming round to cheer me up this morning, getting the first of OH's tests done and nice mushroom risotto (and naughty mince pies )
    Food/ household/supermarket spends for November - £210.25 / £250
    NSDs for November 9/12

• DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 15th Nov 17, 8:42 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    Here miss!

Clinging to sanity with fingernails...but still here!
    Everything went wrong on Tuesday. I had it all planned out, and I got a call for help from mum. Lost the entire day. After just saying to Mothernerd last week about it, it seems PIP is coming to get my parents. Fight one. Neighbours trying to claim land that isn't theirs. Fight two. Mum wanting to go to a shop, turned into every bargain shop in a 10 mile radius. Fight three. Lost the entire day, hoped to salvage some while waiting on dd1's after school but not to be, battery died. Ended up completely drained.
    Today hasn't been much better, I resent loosing time. Its daft I know but when I have a plan and no one else will respect my schedule it makes me so cross. A simple route to pick up things for DD2 birthday party went so wrong...ordered a cookie from More Reasons and its the wrong one - they told me I could have that and they'd deliver to my door the right one... It should have been here an hour ago.

Geez.

The word of my week. Wrong.
    I haven't got near the gym and am currently feeling 100% a failure. Hate this low mood.

Carpet fund has increased, but not exactly sure how much. I need to add it all up. At least I managed to post the items sold! Bank card arrived so back on track there.
    Organise I desperately need to plan food that I can cook during day/weekend and then reheat. Kids turn their noses up at anything DH cooks. Too spicy, or too weird.

Need a list and I will feel like I am making progress again. Right now all I am doing is digging a hole.
    NST November #5 | Carpet Fund33.25 | NSD 1/12 |
    Motivate and mean it.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 15th Nov 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 9,545 Thanks
    Florence J
    Did a good amount of wombling today, it was a spend day though. Walked 4 miles again, mental health is ok. Not great, but it's ok.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£94.58) £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253 Wombling free 2017 = £1982.64 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3118.08/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1146.96/1146.96
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4025
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 15th Nov 17, 8:46 PM
    • 6,506 Posts
    • 47,635 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a good long walk, for podcasts, for finding some cotton reels in a ch shop, for a cheerful time with y7s, for good chats with 2 colleagues, for finishing my bunting, for prepping some labels with dd, for dd coming to meet me off my bus (in the dark - eek), for dh having a more relaxing day than of late.
    NST November #; NSD 3/17; Ex 2/12; craft 1/30 (247); remove 578
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3415/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,689 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 15th Nov 17, 9:25 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 19,205 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 15
    NSD achieved 7/20
    Value for money - took my own lunch and flask to the hospital.
    Organise - Just did a few bits around the flat.
    Christmas - Not even thinking about this at the moment.
    Mental health - Had a reasonable night sleep. Will be going to bed soon.
    Grateful for:
    My Mum being looked after. A few other issues that are being dealt with.
    Being able to stay a little over the visitor hours.
    Being given some advise by a gp friend of one of the patients on the same ward as my Mum who is a retired gp.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; Yesterday at 7:18 AM.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 15th Nov 17, 11:47 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 22,063 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs Dancing Dragons. If you can think of a couple of shortcuts that will get you ahead, take them. If going to the freezer shop and buying a few sling it all in the oven things will help, do it (here comes Kat with a brick bath). Do make time for yourself, have a bath, or sit in the garden for 10 minutes (I used to do this when one of the babies would not stop crying, sit on the back doorstep for 5 minutes quiet). Then take a deep breath and start a list of problems and look at what you can do about each one. I find sitting at the kitchen table (since my hip op I alternate standing and sitting tasks) with pen and paper makes me calmer than trying to juggle it all in my head.

I have had a good day. Nearly 6 hours sleep (4 + 2) which was a bonus. The craft things were semi-sorted so putting things together to take to crafts was fairly easy. Have left some more things there (think adult shoe box size but with envelopes/ card etc standing up in it) but also brought some home to work on.

Lots of things done, 2 reindeer cards (antlers cut freehand) and 2 more completed. One participant made two tealight holders - glasses were bought for glass colouring but the paints did not work (don't know what the problem was, I wasn't there but the results were smudgy). Glasses have been sitting in the cupboard ever since, so I saw no reason not to glue things on the outside (lace, stars, rows of embellishment and ribbon) so that people can take them home.

The book-folded nativity continues. I was told on Monday that we were on the last wise man and had only the inn-keeper to do. She lied. I set her to glueing the book for the wise man (pages were very dry so I wanted a coating of glue on it before we tried to attach the robe, she had someone else stapling hands and sleeves and then 'needed' another angel making. I cut the dress (interfacing), used the last of a pack of embellishments to avoid sewing trimmings on but made her do most of the sticking herself.

I also suggested that the inn-keeper be bald but she wouldn't have that - made him some felt hair rather than hanks of wool hair and
    finally fixed the headgear for the wiseman. Most of them have wooden spoons for heads, this wiseman has a pingpong ball. The last 3 or 4 weeks have been spent thinking up possible solutions for what he could wear on his head (felt was far too stiff, other fabrics have been tried, 6-7 ideas last week). Today I cut 3 small strips of ribbon (about half an inch wide). Put them on his head in different directions, to cover the spots I expected (due to problems with previous attempts) to cause problems. Then put a generous amount of glue on the remainder of the ribbon and did a sort of turban with it. Lastly glued the strip of gold paper 'crown' we cut last week.

Did a little bit more tidying - only a couple of drawers but if I can do it every week it will be done, particularly if my plans for using some of the excess 'stock' come to fruition. We are going to have a glitter week - not my favourite thing but we have 5 or 6 of the tubs with different colours (like a bicarb tub - the kind that you get multi sprinkles in for baking) + 2 larger tubs of gold and green. Did think about filling up the ones that are part used but it will be easier to do if we use up some of it first. Will use some on cards, make snowflakes from lolly sticks and will think of something else too.

I have been relaxing since I came in, may do an on-line food order (or two) for next week. Not liking the crowded shops already. DS3 and Beloved are sorted. Following on from the success with his diet (down to 2 takeaways a week and sugar free sweets, slushies etc, Beloved has now persuaded him to go to the gym. So the purchase of new trainers was necessary and I offered to pay (I have asked him to write a list of things he needs, clothing wise, or better still find them first and just let me pay - he's large all over, so it's not straightforward).

Today I am grateful for good company at crafts, for the centre I go to and the organisation behind it - they offer help of all kinds to so many people and for my bed (it supports me, gives me a sanctuary and a place of refuge and always enfolds me with a warm welcome - that bit is the duvet really).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,001Posts Today

7,515Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin