Voucher for help with cat/dog vaccinations

Comments

• elvis_girl
    elvis_girl Posts: 244 Forumite
    No I didn't think so either but just thought i would check if anyone knew different.
  • National Vaccination Month - £10 per injection at ALL Vets4Pets practices until 31st March
  • >>I dont have my pets done every year as i have seen so much research that it is unnecessary as the protection does not run out for a good few years, and can also cause more problems by over-vaccinating.

>>I have not had her vaccinated since 2001 until today and then that will probably last her another 6-7 more years.

Sorry, this just isn't true for Feline Leukaemia and it's not true either for Canine Leptospirosis. These components need boosting every year.

Futhermore there is no treatment for either of these diseases, by the time a diagnosis is made it is often too late so rushing your pet to the vet won't help. I frequently hear of dogs dying from suspected cases of Lepto although cat deaths related to FeLV seem to be less frequent I am not aware of current figures. It used to be quoted as the second biggest killer of cats.
  • I've got 3 little kittens that need the full course of vaccinations which works out very expensive!

Does anyone know why they have to be over 18 months old to use the voucher???
    I got a letter from my vet telling me the offer would save me £25 each & the website isn't letting me have one :-(

Great for all the animals who will benefit though! :-)
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    divadee wrote: »
    I have not had her vaccinated since 2001 until today and then that will probably last her another 6-7 more years.

.... so we are responsible pet owners!!!

.....but i personally feel over-vaccination can cause problems.
    Bar-room science and complete piffle. You are irresponsible pet owners IMHO.

Not vaccinating your animals puts them and other people's animals at risk. Please tell us where you got your veterinary degree from or cite the research you have studied which definitively states over vaccination causes problems.

Mike
  • Hi, just to let you all know that if you go to Vets4Pets during March you can get vaccinations for £10 per injection regardless of whether it's a booster, first course or restart course i.e. full course of 2 injections = £20

No vouchers required.

:beer:
  • SiuLoong wrote: »
    At our practice we have had no contact to be involved in this particular scheme, this is the first I've heard of the vouchers! We have been aware of the vaccination month and we are running a scheme so that people whose older animals have missed vaccinations can restart for the price of a normal booster.

My point is just that vets on the list are not necessarily better or more caring.. they've just been invited to join!! I think its related to which brand of vaccinations you use but thats irrelevant really.
    Yes, it's Intervet that are running it, so unless you're using Nobivac I don't suppose you'd be able to participate.

D
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bar-room science and complete piffle. You are irresponsible pet owners IMHO.

Not vaccinating your animals puts them and other people's animals at risk. Please tell us where you got your veterinary degree from or cite the research you have studied which definitively states over vaccination causes problems.

Mike

i will state some science research projects later when i have more time.

but i dont have to justify myself to you or anyone else. What we do with my vets knowledge and advice is up to us.

We are very responsible pet owners, it is not an issue of cost but over vacination can cause numerous problems, one mainly being cancer of the injection site, which kills within weeks.

Humans are not vaccinated every year against various illness/disease. my vet and us both agree that it is not necessary to be vaccinated every year.
  • snowman2_2
    snowman2_2 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Some facts about the scheme from someone who's has 2 surgery's running it:
    • It is available only to practices that use Intervet or Schering Plough vaccines (Nobivac or Procyon)
    • Dogs or Cats have to be over the age of 18 months and not be vaccinated in over 18 months
    • You pay for a booster price and the 2nd vaccine 2 - 3 weeks later is free. You should get a health check included in the price
    • It shouldn't cost more than £50 according to Intervet - we don't charge anywhere near that amount so I don't know if that is a hard and fast rule.
    • Log on to www.vaccinationmonth.co.uk - download your voucher, check your nearest participating vet, book appointment and take in your voucher
    • The voucher only asks for your pets name and post code
    • If you can't print the voucher, ask your vet to print one off. This is officially approved by the organisers.
    • The web site will list all local practices on a map and whether they are participating or not
    • You must have the first vaccine done in March and the second by the end of April (end of September for Rabbits)
    • Vets4Pets are not in this scheme, they use vaccines from Pfizer. Any offers are part of their marketing campaign to take advantage of the publicity. Check for any small print. I don't know the details of this.
    I hope this helps clarify the offer. Over 70% of cats are not up to date with their vaccines, over 50% of dogs (can't remember exact figures) and over 90% of rabbits aren't protected against Myxo. I think the campaign is a good idea although we lose money as a practice (we only get the cost of the vaccine back, not any lost consultation fee). What we are promoting is good, preventative healthcare and a thoughtful approach to looking after your pet.
  • maisie_debs
    maisie_debs Posts: 109 Forumite
    Thank you very much for this post standingupformyself. We took Sylvester the cat on Saturday for his jabs using this offer, it would have been £40.50 with out the voucher but we paid just £29.??, so thank you very much for the saving :j

Maisie & Sylvester!

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family