Overstating how much you earn when applying for a job.

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!

People who don't have the resourcefulness to bump their current salary up a little in negotiations are likely not be very resourceful at all.

Maybe they should lie about their qualifications as well. And their experience.

Why go to uni and get a degree when you can just pretend you have one.

What is it you sell? Used cars or mobile phones?
  • Nick_C wrote: »
    Maybe they should lie about their qualifications as well. And their experience.

Why go to uni and get a degree when you can just pretend you have one.

What is it you sell? Used cars or mobile phones?

I work in software development. Everyone exaggerates their salaries.

If you want to pretend that doesn't happen, the only loser is going to be you. Employers will assume you are anyway and negotiate accordingly.

Of course if you don't work in an industry or at a level where salaries are negotiable, then it won't matter.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    People bother because by exaggerating your salary by 2K, you start on 2K more at the new company than you otherwise would.

What is idiotic is assuming that people don't constantly and routinely lie about things like this. Anyone who tells you they never lie is lying.

People who don't have the resourcefulness to bump their current salary up a little in negotiations are likely not be very resourceful at all.

I don't see how the current salary makes a difference to the new salary. If you've reached the negotiation stage they clearly want to employ you and I would have a salary in mind I'd be looking for and would tell the company. If they choose to lower their offer to less than I'm willing to accept based on my current salary then I'd walk away and they can find someone else. I'm willing to bet they wouldn't and they'd come to an agreement with you. It's an unnecessary thing to lie about as ultimately it makes no difference.

Your also putting words in my mouth, I never said people never lie. I'd just rather people didn't lie to me. If people are stupid enough to get caught lying then they should expect their employment to be terminated. Also £2k depending on the salary might not even be worth worrying about, but certainly if someone had inflated their salary by more than 10% I'd be asking questions.

I'd also suggest that having to resort to lying doesn't make you good at negotiating, certainly not as good as someone who can be up front, make it clear what they want and achieve that aim.

Actually you raise a good point. Maybe people should lie if they aren't good at negotiating?

We actually work in the same industry. How interesting. :)
  • dharm999
    dharm999 Posts: 559 Forumite
    We ask for a copy of the last 3 or 6 payslips depending on how senior the post is, to prove the salary someone has said they are on. It doesn't affect what we offer to pay someone, but for us it's a matter of trust.
  • The way I see it is that if you know what the new job would pay then you probably have no need to exaggerate your current salary. If they try to offer you something lower, you need to stand your ground, they either offered you the job because you're the best candidate or the cheaper option. If the former, they have nothing to gain by offering it to someone else, if the latter you don't want to go there.

However, if its negotiable, competitive etc or ranging from pathetic to very generous, then it may be worth overstating it.

When I started out in my career, I foolishly was honest about my salary as I thought my salary in a basic admin role would have no bearing on what my first career job would offer me. I pointed that out to the agency, but they said my salary expectations were optimistic given what I was earning.

What I was offered was pathetic, I worked out that when taking out deductions and extra petrol money I was getting £8 extra a week, not to mention the extra hour commuting each day. If it wasn't a job to get my foot on the ladder there's no way I would have taken it. The agency/employer knew that and took advantage.

A couple of grand extra a year isn't going to make a great deal of difference to your wealth, but it would be quite hard to be content with your salary if you're consistently getting 2 grand below the market rate for what you do.
  • dharm999 wrote: »
    We ask for a copy of the last 3 or 6 payslips depending on how senior the post is, to prove the salary someone has said they are on. It doesn't affect what we offer to pay someone, but for us it's a matter of trust.

If it doesn't affect what you offer to pay someone then why do you even ask the question, let alone ask for proof?
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it doesn't affect what you offer to pay someone then why do you even ask the question, let alone ask for proof?

Because, as "dharm999" said it is a matter of trust.

A lot of organisations, quite rightly, put a great deal of importance on honesty and integrity. If someone has lied as part of their application (which is technically fraud) then they may well not want to employ them. It is perfectly reasonable to ask for evidence to support any claims the applicant makes.

You clearly think it is acceptable or normal to lie as part of a job application. Others would disagree.
  • Because, as "dharm999" said it is a matter of trust.

A lot of organisations, quite rightly, put a great deal of importance on honesty and integrity. If someone has lied as part of their application (which is technically fraud) then they may well not want to employ them. It is perfectly reasonable to ask for evidence to support any claims the applicant makes.

You clearly think it is acceptable or normal to lie as part of a job application. Others would disagree.

They ask them a question about salary and then check the answer just to see if they can trust them; and don't in any way base the offer on the answer? Do you actually believe that?

How can people make claims like that and in the same breath say that they don't lie?
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite

I agree with you on this one, it does seem somewhat pointless to ask.

Of course potential employers ask this question to tailor your offer. However as the person applying for the job you shouldn't let them. I wouldn't let my current salary have any relation to the offer I get, even if they try and pull that trick.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    dharm999 wrote: »
    We ask for a copy of the last 3 or 6 payslips depending on how senior the post is, to prove the salary someone has said they are on.

That doesn't prove anything except whether they're savvy enough to say "I sacrificed part of my salary for a pension contribution".

Of course you could then ask for their pension statement, but if you're going to go that far I'm not sure I'd want to work there anyway. It sounds like the kind of place that would put you in front of a disciplinary panel for taking an envelope from the stationery cupboard.

Are you really going to employ the second best candidate for the job because the first one bent the truth about his current salary for negotiation purposes? Either you think he's worth the salary you've negotiated or you don't. If you pay peanuts you'll get monkeys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure