British Gas Text Message

Stompa
Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
This morning I received a text message from British gas saying:

Avoid an estimated bill & reply free in next 3 days with your gas read in the following format e.g. G1234 or G12345 or visit britishgas.co.uk

Now that's all very well, but I switched away from British Gas a couple of months ago.

So, is this a text sent in error? Has the switch not happened?

Is it worth phoning British Gas or my new supplier to check? (something I'd prefer to avoid if possible!)
Stompa

Comments

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I received a similar message about 4 weeks after moving out of a place supplied by BG. I just ignored it.

Did you last bill from BG actually state that it was a final bill?
  • Stompa
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I received a similar message about 4 weeks after moving out of a place supplied by BG. I just ignored it.

Did you last bill from BG actually state that it was a final bill?
    Good thinking, yes the last bill is entitled "Your final gas statement". Oddly though, the final meter reading on that final bill is some 18 units less than the switch reading I gave to both my new supplier and BG - which is a bit puzzling!

Sounds like it's safe to ignore the text. Perhaps BG are still responsible for reading the meter, even though they no longer supply me?

Thanks
    Stompa
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Stompa wrote: »
    ... Perhaps BG are still responsible for reading the meter, even though they no longer supply me?

Thanks

I doubt that's the case.
    Even if it is, you can't input readings for a competitor at britishgas.co.uk, you would have been directed to your current supplier's website.

I would be inclined to ignore, or provide the reading direct to your current supplier only.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The title on the bill is just a label it is not a contractual revoking of entitlement to receive corrected payment for goods any time up to six years later.

Once you receive the first bill check the starting readings with the end readings. If there is a difference then approximate the cost and make sure it is not so much that it would cause a problem if it is subsequently chased down.
  • Stompa
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Once you receive the first bill check the starting readings with the end readings. If there is a difference then approximate the cost and make sure it is not so much that it would cause a problem if it is subsequently chased down.
    Thanks, I'll certainly check when the first bill arrives.
    Stompa
  • pyueck
    pyueck Posts: 426 Forumite
    Stompa wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll certainly check when the first bill arrives.

Learn from my experience, ring up the bank and cancel any british gas DD's.
  • Stompa
    pyueck wrote: »
    Learn from my experience, ring up the bank and cancel any british gas DD's.
    Thanks, but I paid BG quarterly by DD, so should (if the worst were to happen) get a bill a couple of weeks or so before any DD is taken.
    Stompa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport