Giftcard Fascism

Don't ever buy anybody a WH Smith Giftcard as a present. I went in 3 weeks ago to buy a Boots giftcard for somebody's birthday and wanted to use the WH Smiths giftcard to pay some of it with-they don't allow it!

I then went to a different branch of WH Smiths yesterday to buy a book of 12 first class stamps, and they are on their radios asking the manager if it's ok to use the giftcard to pay-and it was no again! So basically unless you are buying a book off them for £8-10 or something (which you could probably get on Amazon for £4) they won't let you use the giftcard!

i think the staff should be wearing jackboots because they are constantly telling you " you can't do this,and you can't do this" etc unless you are using the giftcard on something where they can rip you off:mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    In their defence though, WH Smith have never invaded Poland.
    https://www.whsmith.co.uk/fcp/content/Home-Help-GiftsPacksandGiftCards-GiftCardsHelp/content#giftcardsvoucherstscs
    WHSMITH PROMOTIONAL GIFT CARDS - TERMS + CONDITIONS

Promotional Gift Cards are sometimes issued with in-Store offers. They display an expiry date on the front.

1. Once activated the promotional gift card can be used as full or part payment for any goods (excluding WHSmith/third party gift cards or vouchers and bulk purchases of Stamps) in all UK WHSmith High Street stores (excluding online at whsmith.co.uk, kobobooks.com, concessions, stores located at motorway service stations or London Underground sites and partner sites of whsmith.co.uk).

2. Maximum of 1 pack of stamps per transactions

Actually sounds like you should have been allowed those stamps
  • So you wanted to buy a boots gift card for someone else using a whs card that someone bought you as a gift?
    Compers challenge 27/70
    £1805/2018
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    arksie wrote: »
    Don't ever buy anybody a WH Smith Giftcard as a present. I went in 3 weeks ago to buy a Boots giftcard for somebody's birthday and wanted to use the WH Smiths giftcard to pay some of it with-they don't allow it!

I then went to a different branch of WH Smiths yesterday to buy a book of 12 first class stamps, and they are on their radios asking the manager if it's ok to use the giftcard to pay-and it was no again! So basically unless you are buying a book off them for £8-10 or something (which you could probably get on Amazon for £4) they won't let you use the giftcard!

i think the staff should be wearing jackboots because they are constantly telling you " you can't do this,and you can't do this" etc unless you are using the giftcard on something where they can rip you off:mad:

Are you prone to immense overreaction?

I'm sure you could buy a book to help you with that.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Crikey.:mad:

Really puts Trump, Brexit et al into perspective.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure