Climbing the Mountain

Comments

• It's a lovely bright but very cold day here! I am going to get cracking on the housework, later this morning I will walk into town to do some overdue errands, then take my little dog out for a walk while I am still dressed for the cold. I'll make a point of walking faster to get my heart rate up rather than my usual leisurely ramble.

TBH I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all I need to do. I have amassed a pile of things to sell and fear ebay is my only real option. I'm going to have to look at it as a necessary evil and just get on with it. I have yet to do my budget so am planning on sitting down with it this afternoon, and this evening doing a menu plan, after being inspired by littlefrugalcottage.

It seems whenever I have a lot to do, instead of just starting on it, I find ways to avoid doing any of it. I'll do something unimportant, read a book, do some baking, or... this is a bad habit of mine and one I need to get out of. I'm hoping by putting goals for the day here, it will hold me accountable and I will actually complete them! :o

I hope everyone is staying warm today! x
  • Oh it's MARVELLOUS when you finally reach the point where you refuse to toe the line with relatives like this Misty! My SIL (We'll call her SIL2 as the other is absolutely lovely) is a complete grade A b*tch - gradually over time not only the family but the majority of BIL2's friends have also begun to learn what she's like, and gradually the tide has turned. As a whole, we're now generally tolerant of her for BIL2's sake, but not much more. We see far more of, and interact far more with BIL1 & family who live overseas for 90% of the year! As far as I'm concerned the less I now have to do with SIL2, the better.

Personally, the next time they turn up unannounced I would be smiling sweetly whilst not opening the door wide enough for them to slide in through, and saying "SUCH a shame you didn't call first, I'm afraid we're right in the middle of something here, and will be heading out shortly after that..." ;)

On your eBay stuff - can you work on it in 15 minute bursts? I often find this is a way to get through things that are lingering a bit. Otherwise are there any other options for selling the things? MusicMagpie used to be popular, and I've seen a mention of something called "Ziffit" I think it is, elsewhere on here? Otherwise, local FB selling pages any good?

*waves at Lionheartedgirl - right up your street, this, I would say lovely! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • You SIL sounds charming, EssexH! She would be a good match for the Mean Uncle. I like the suggestion of not letting them in at all. We have thought of hiding before but I refuse to be a prisoner in my own home. Of course that's what I feel like anyway when they are here :o They only come around a couple of times a year, though as it's getting closer to Xmas they will probably make an appearance hoping to eat all the mince pies. I will keep them well hidden.

I can manage 15 minutes a day to sort out the things I need to sell, be it on eBay, facebook or gumtree. I used to do the fly lady schedule and remembered that once you get started, you tend to do a bit more. It really shouldn't take long to rid the house of the things I no longer need, a few weeks at most. I took a large load bag of items to the charity shop this morning and already feel lighter and more motivated. I would like the house to be clean, tidy and uncluttered before the family Xmas visits start, so am making Dec. 15th my deadline. Anything still here that is worth less than £5 will go to the charity shop, the rest can go in the closet until the new year.

It feels good to have a plan!

I have finished my errands and walked my little dog, I am just sitting down for a moment before starting work on the budget.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Boo to the "out-laws", but great that you and OH are now singing together on this and that you are willing to tough it out with them.

I am another who lives by the "15 minutes rule", illness, low energy and often CBA means that it is often hard to get started on things too, but it is really true that most things are so dammed easy to accomplish once I get going. I am going to have to do a whole raft of 15 minutes chores, mostly just tidying, tomorrow as I have the TV/aerial man here on Thursday to sort our problem TV reception and he will need access to several rooms. Could have made it easy and spread over 2 days, but OH and I have had a brilliant day out today. A yummy lunch then visit NT property and walk dear dog in the parkland, tea and scone before we left and then picked up good bread, fresh salad and veg from an ace farmshop on the way home. Cold, really sunny and blue skies with lots of white fluffy clouds and the autumn leaf colour was amazing.

Blown the budget, looking forward to "pay day" on Friday, but fridge and freezer are full:D:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Your day sounds lovely, Maddiemay! I am now on a mission to do at least three 15 min chores each day. I have enough time, I'm feeling pretty good, and there is just no excuse not get things done. Now that I've started clearing out the excess, the difference is wonderful and has motivated me to get on with the rest ASAP. I took some photos of items I'd like to sell so will put some of them on gumtree/ebay/facebook etc. tomorrow as one of my 15 min things.

I didn't however get started on the budget. It may seem like I am putting it off, but I'm itching to get it done! I need to have a good hour or so uninterrupted and when I sat down to do it today, my elderly neighbour came over to discuss a problem we are having down the alley way that runs behind our houses. She is lovely and all on her own, I know she is often lonely so I invited her in for a cup of tea and to talk about how to resolve the issue.

Budget and menu plan are now #1 on my to do list tomorrow. :o
  • fru-girl
    fru-girl Posts: 133 Forumite
    Budget and menu plan are now #1 on my to do list tomorrow. :o

Budgeting is hard work, but it's worth it... perhaps you can trial YNAB or some other tool (even Excel - although you need good skills if you want to automate it)? You need more than 1 hour :) in my world anyway.

Re menu plan, that's next on my to do list too, I need to start doing this - if not for savings, at least to make sure I don't throw away food.
  • I have been filling out the budget in YNAB online for 45 mins now and you are right Fru-girl, this will take all morning if not longer. I don't understand yet how it works or if/how I am supposed to connect my bank account. I am sure I will eventually figure it out, but there is no chance I'll have it finished within the hour. :p

It will be time well spent, as creating a proper budget is the basis for all I want to do in the future. I'm sure there are free programs, or even paper and pencil but so many people recommend YNAB that I thought I should give it a try. If I can't get to grips with it then I will try something else, my main goal is to have something in place as I am floundering a bit at the moment.

If I have time later I will have a go at the selling ads, but I am not going to feel a failure if I don't get any of it done today.
  • I'm taking a little break as I'm frustrated and feeling inadequate. :o I'm not stupid and I worked in the finance dept of a local store a few years back, so have a basic understanding of accounting. This YNAB program is confusing me quite a bit. I am watching videos and reading guides, maybe I'm making it more difficult than it needs to be but at the moment I'm just not understanding how to set it up properly.

It may be one of those things that I need to use for a few months before I get it, but by then I will be into the subscription. I'm going to spend some time on the YNAB thread here and hopefully will be seeing the light before too long... ;)
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Suggestion:

First port of call for your budget - use the SOA that is often referenced on here. The link is in the sticky post over on the main DFW board. You don't have to post it here, but it's a great starting point for helping you to remember everything, and you can always then transfer the information to YNAB. Also if your Bank/Building society allows you to show your bank statement filtered down to certain transactions only, that can be really helpful for seeing what goes where and when. Nationwide for example, you can show outgoing money only, and then narrow that down still further by, for example, excluding cash withdrawals.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Great suggestion by EH, OH and I manage our finances in what is probably considered an odd way, but it works for us.

For a lot of our married life OH earned a good salary (not higher tax stuff) but enough to support us and his children, living in the south-west in a very rural area my earnings were pretty low, it also made sense for other reasons to keep our finances separate, but both operating joint accounts, so for 40 years we have plodded along like this, he is much better with budgeting and long term stuff than me too. I think I will adopt EH's idea for my part of our finances - thank you. I really want to save more for treats for us which will be easier through the winter as we holiday a lot in our caravan in the summer and I do so enjoy trying local food and supporting the economy wherever in the UK we are:D

Sorry to hi-jack your thread MMT. I had considered YNAB, but so many people with more active brains than me (enjoying a switched off retirement) have struggled that I have not braved it yet. Don't beat yourself up about it. YNAB will either be the thing for you or not, there will be another way that suits you.:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure