Sky multi room without the subscription

I've eventually figured how to get sky multi room without paying for a sky subscription. It involve buying a mini dish quad lnb (you only need a twin but couldn't find one). I bought one from https://www.thedigiboxshop.com for £34.99 - ordered from website straightforward. This replace the singhle lnb on the dish.

The lnb is the thing that the signals are bounced off the dish into that the wire is connected to and has a white plastic cap on it.

You then buy another digibox and run a wire from the dish to it. A free sat card is available from Sky for £20, I think although haven't bought one yet to get some of the free channels.

Paul

Comments

• or just put a £20 freeview box on the second tv??
    go on, adopt a greyhound
    http://www.dgrescue.org.uk/
  • handyman. wrote:
    or just put a £20 freeview box on the second tv??
    Not all area's recieve freeview, and satelight is better quality.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • lowbrim
    lowbrim Posts: 489
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Could have saved yourself some money by buying quad lnb on Ebay go for around £11 + postage. I presume you realise you dont need a card to get a lot of the free channels and you can get digiboxes on Ebay older ones from around £25 including postage which are just as good as the newer ones if a little bulkier.
  • Am I right in thinking though that you wont get your sky package on the second box? :confused:
    "Getting Married" - The act of betting half of everything you own on the fact you will love someone forever :rotfl:
  • yes, hence me saying to just get a freeview box
    go on, adopt a greyhound
    http://www.dgrescue.org.uk/
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,388
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Am I right in thinking though that you wont get your sky package on the second box? :confused:

You get the usual pay channels such as Discovery but not the premium movie and sports channels.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The last time I got my Sky dish fixed the nice man put me a Quad LNB in instead of the normal one (all done free of course as we threatened to cancel again when the LNB went off for the second time). Haven't got round to wiring the second box in yet which I got off my sister for nothing.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • the wireless video sender we purchased last week works a treat for transfering Sky to another room...but of course you have to watch the same prog on both TV's ............
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by sniperpenguin
    Am I right in thinking though that you wont get your sky package on the second box?

Quote "You get the usual pay channels such as Discovery but not the premium movie and sports channels."

I dont think you will get anything more than the basic free to air channels on your second box - unless you pay the £10 multi room subs - you would also need a card to unscramble Ch 4 and Ch5 too - if you need to recieve those digitally (rather than through your rooftop aerial that is)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure