Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for my excess dust?

Comments

• No way would I offer any water, work or recompense to this jerk.

I'd be inclined to take some pics myself as previously suggested; would also at the same time check if his tax disc was up to date and his tyres had the correct depth of tread remaining . . .
  • Where we live in Birmingham the air quality is rubbish, and my car's always covered in a thin film of dust anyway.

That said, I do always make sure that I don't put any scratches in the paintwork when I wash my car - and the dust that settles can cause very fine scratches which can dull the paintwork. He may just be concerned that this will also happen - and it could cost a couple of hundred pounds to have it all machine polished.

I think that just taking photos of it is a bit pathetic, it may be best to just keep the peace and offer to hose his car down occasionally (just remove the nozzle from the hose and use it open-ended to "sheet" the water over the car - this is quite effective).

After all, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs!
  • dinosaur7
    dinosaur7 Posts: 47 Forumite
    The dust from your driveway may be sufficient to amount to an actionable nuisance, for which the neighbour could sue, so you should be careful, as he might not be laughed out of court as some posters have suggested, especially if the dust is the sort that can cause scratches or corrosion.

Please beware of the posts that say you should tell your neighbour where to go etc. this is the worst thing to do and, from a legal point of view, it's very bad advice. Neighbour disputes are horrid and it's always best to sort them out amicably if you can, so I would suggest apologising and offering to pay for a car wash (safer than washing it yourself just in case something goes wrong and further damage is caused!)

With any luck, a thoughtful gesture on your part will be enough to ease any tensions and sort out the issue in a friendly way.
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 August 2010 at 8:38AM
    Photos - really, what a *@><£$*

Personally, I'd apologise, and let him know that I will happily pay the £5 for his car to be washed at the local handwash - wouldn't want to give him more to complain at by breaching the hosepipe ban, or putting it through the local machine wash (it's scratched my car enough, and I think the neighbour might be a pain)

He may not have asked for payment, but it'd be nice to be the good neighbour, and if I've spent a fortune on a new driveway £5 more probably won't break the bank - as long as the rest of the nieghbourhood doesn't cotton on (BTW - Money savers, gravel works well too, and is far cheaper, and you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.)

But, I'd also be crossing him off my Xmas card list, and advising my kids to avoid the house at halloween. A comment would have been enough, or a request of how long it was going to go on - Photos is just being silly.

We live by the coast anyway, and on dry windy days, all get our cars covered in a coating of Sand - I'd just be advising him that on any other day it could have been the sand, rather than me.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
  • First instinct would be to tell him to spin however I do agree with Dinosaur 7....tread carefully....this guy may well have a justifiable argument, was he warned and given the opportunity to move his car before the work commenced? If yes then he hasn't much of an argument but if not, and you haven't offered a solution and been openly hostile towards him this will not help your cause if it goes to court. Going to court could cost a lot more than £10 wash by a professional car valeter what with possible costs, car hire etc etc...I would suggest the pro wash to reduce the risk off claims for scratching the paintwork.
  • I know the thrust of the comments so far has been the neighbour is a tight wad for even talking about it, but if the dust is excessive and/or granular than it can cause a lot of damage and scratching to paint work. Bad scratching result in the car needing a new paint job.
    If any problems I would let him know that you will be contacting your home contents insurance company (it's covered under the personal liability section, just be sure to not admit liability for it) and let them deal with him. After all, that's what you pay insurance for.
  • Gillsx
    Gillsx Posts: 56 Forumite
    You should have told the neighbour about the work beforehand and yes you should pay for the cleaning of the car. Advise your neighbour how long work will take and that you will pay for the cleaning upon completion and apologise for the inconvenience. I think your neighbour is right to be annoyed. A bit of courtesy goes a long way. Glad i'm not neighbour to the many people on here who seem to think the annoyed neighbour is in the wrong.
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Gillsx wrote: »
    Glad i'm not neighbour to the many people on here who seem to think the annoyed neighbour is in the wrong.

Gillsx - I would just like to say that if he'd come to me and asked me about it and allowed me to sort it, then I wouldn't categorise him as a bad neighbour. It's not the first thing I'd have thought about when putting a new drive in, so would be apologetic, and offer to rectify his problem.

As he's taken photos without allowing me the chance to rectify the problem, that moves the ball to the edge of the nice guy territory.......
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
  • as a goodwill gesture and to keep the peace with your neighbour, i would offer to wash his car when the driveway is complete, so that it should stay dust free lol:money:
  • I'd offer to pay for getting the car washed, tell him how long the work will be going on for and suggest he buys a dust cover to protect the car whilst the work is being carried out.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure