PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

horrible taste from new kettle.

I have purchased a new kettle a week or so ago, and gave it a good rinse. I have boiled it through a number if times but drinks still have a plastic taste to it.

Can any one recommed a way to get rid of this taste? Is bi-carb or vinager the way to go?

Thanks.

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Bicarbonate of soda is the way to go. Fill the kettle and add two tbsp of bicarb and bring to the boil. Dump the water and rinse well. This is from the Tefal site - so they should know :)

How nice that they're Old Style too! :D
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • I have posted this on here in the hope that one of you guys can help.
    Yesterday I bought a new kettle and I have been unable to remove a strange taste from the heated water, despite repeatedly boiling clean water, can anyone advise how I can remove the taste.
    cosmic
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    What kind of kettle is it? is it metal or plastic does it have a super fast element thingy? Are you just drinking hot water or making some kind of tea?
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • do you think that it could have been your old kettle that was the problem? if the element had been furring up over a period of time you would have got used to the taste and now the 'clean' water tastes odd to you
  • Thank you for the replys. It is a metal kettle with a superfast thingy,
    I don't think that the taste is because we have got used to the taste of the old kettle, because this tastes a little of plastic, although it is not plastic.
    cosmic
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    We have a thread on this somewhere from fairly recently. I think the answer was to boil up a full kettle that had a tbsp or two of bicarb in it. I'll see if I can find it...

Edit: yep! Bicarb! :)
    Bicarbonate of soda is the way to go. Fill the kettle and add two tbsp of bicarb and bring to the boil. Dump the water and rinse well. This is from the Tefal site - so they should know :)

How nice that they're Old Style too! :D
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Drink out of a proper cup, not plastic. 1a_y_tongue1.gif

• Thank you Squeaky, that's a big help. Elvis what are you on, where in my postings does it say that I am using a plastic cup??
  • Ive had my new kettle for nearly a month now and as were a family of tea and coffeeaholics it gets used a fair bit but there is a horrible plasticy taste thats still lingering after all this time .
    has anyone got any ideas how to make it go away ?,please!.
  • I would try boiling up the kettle with bicarb added to it. Rinse well, boil once more without bicarb and see if it makes any difference.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport