Disability and getting a free car from the state

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    me and my girlfriend have just moved in together i claim carers allowance for her and i was wondering whether or not i am eligible to get a dla car or not??, ......she gets low rate and middle rate mobility i have only just started to get carers allowance for her and i am in the middle of doing my driving lessons can anyone help please im not good on things like this

It would have been better if you had started a new thread as this one is nearly 4 years old.

You would not be eligible for a car as you do not receive the Higher rate mobillty component of DLA.

There is no middle rate mobility, I assume you mean middle rate care.
  • yeah i do lol... 4 years :eek: well i dont have a clue about forum or how 2 make a new thread, her claim is in the middle of getting renewed and she might be getting higher if she does get that will i be able 2 then??
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The benefit would be paid to your girlfriend so she would be able to get a car.
  • cheers for that somthing else i was thinking about is if i buy a car could i use ask the dla to turn the car into a dla car if u know what i mean but i would just own it instead of them??
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No, sorry, it doesn't work like that. DLA don't provide the car, this is provided by Motobility which is an independent organisation.

If your girlfriend is successful in getting high rate mobility, she can then apply to motobility for a car. Assuming she is successful, she has her DLA mobility component signed over to motobility in exchange for the car.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • that helps thanks because i dont have a clue
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    How the Car Scheme works

It's easy with Motability! You choose the car, we do the rest.
    If you receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance or the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement, getting a new car is easier and more affordable than ever. Through Motability, you simply turn part or all of your allowance into the car of your choice. Check your eligibility here.
    No waiting lists. No credit checks. No assessments required.

95% of our customers choose Contract Hire giving you:
    • A new car of your choice every 3 years
    • Insurance and personal accident cover
    • Servicing and maintenance
    • Full breakdown assistance from RAC
    • Free replacement tyres fitted by Kwik-Fit
    • Window or windscreen replacement at no extra cost.
    Our worry-free policy continues right to the end of your three-year contract with a seamless transfer to your new car. What's more, you can choose from over 4,000 cars - no wonder 97% of our customers would be happy to recommend us.

Some customers may prefer to buy their own car, in which case our Hire Purchase scheme might be for you. If you choose Hire Purchase, you negotiate the actual purchase price with your Motability dealer. With Hire Purchase, you will also be responsible for organising and paying for comprehensive insurance, breakdown recovery, your car tax disc, servicing and repairs.
    If you choose to buy a car with a Hire Purchase agreement, you will need to be receiving the allowance for the full length of your agreement. Find out the Motability Car Scheme Hire Purchase rates.

http://www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk/main.cfm?type=CHSW
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you do go ahead there's also a Motability £25 cashback available. See the referrer's thread here.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    *sigh* you don't GET a car. You are able to exchange your HRM DLA weekly payment for a motability car. You PAY for the mobility car by using your HRM DLA payment. There are conditions and usually an advanced payment to pay too.

I do wish people would stop thinking disabled people "get" a car. Disabled people PAY for the motability car.
  • I think i am right the highest rate of mobility allowance is £50 so if you tried to hire a car for £200 a month for a non mobility car you would be lucky to get a ricshaw not a car worth up to £15k which you get to change every 3 years free tax and insurance all for £50 a week i dont think so and as for asesment i think stevie wonders in charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure