Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just popping in quickly to spur me into money saving! Have just totaled WIOTW figure at £111,230 which is pleasing as I feared it had increased!! Now that is motivating.

Be back later for a read of diaries.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well done Cath, that's great
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done. You are doing a phemomenal amount.
  • norfolkdream
    Options
    Hi CathT,
    I'm a newbie but an oldie, we have spoke in the past on here and I am just reading through members that I remember.
    Thought I would pop in and say hi (trying to get my post figure up lol) cant say who I was on here though as had a stalker ;)
    MFW 16 No 33
    2016 OP Paid/Target 2063/£2063 (100%) COMPLETE
    Mortgage Free - Apr 2016 -DONE!:j
  • CathT
    Options
    Thanks yukkibear and alchemilla.

Hi Norfolkdream, lovely of you to pop in. I can't figure out who you were so hopefully neither will your stalker. Do you have a diary? I'll pop and have a look.
    Just checked mortgage balance on spreadsheet and it's now £97,980! I have drastically reduced OP's as we are having a tough year financially but it looks like £250 a month is coming off balance which is okay considering our repayments.

We unfortunately had a large car repair bill £300 last week but although not engine related it couldn't be left. We have also bought another window and door but as we know we will be here at least a few more years it is definitely worthwhile from a warmth and security point of view!

Therefore, we are continuing with minimal spends, roping in grandparents to help with a couple of hours childcare here and there and trying to food plan and batch cook as much as possible. Haven't given up wine but we all need a treat!
  • norfolkdream
    Options
    Hi yes I have a diary :) One of the reasons to start, so I can carry on posting.
    MFW 16 No 33
  • CathT
    Options
    Have found it Norfolkdream and will be following. :)

Not an awful lot to update from me really. Keeping spends low and haven't bought anything other than food and petrol all week. Have also sold a drawer set and advertised more items locally. As some items are only worth £2ish I am saving it in a pot to go towards our holiday in a couple of months. We only really need money for petrol and food and a bit of spend. We are staying in a huge house/cottage with friends so planning on a cooked breakfast and packed lunches on a daily basis!

Unfortunately we need to spend yet more money on the house so that work is booked in for a couple of weeks time. It's funny how my budget looks perfectly manageable on paper but then we seem to struggle!

We go onto our new mortgage rate 2.99% fix for 5 years in April so our daily interest will rise slightly so maybe that will give me some extra motivation?
  • norfolkdream
    Options
    That holiday sounds nice, have you been with those friends before. I have never been on holiday with anyone else other than the kids. Not sure I am that close to anyone like that which would make me want to spend 24/7 with them haha.

!!!!!! about your house, I know that feeling. One repair emptied all my savings last year. But at least I had them to pay for it.
    MFW 16 No 33
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Holiday sounds nice, I could do with one of those right now
  • CathT
    Options
    Wowsers, I've not posted for ages!! Still ploughing away at home improvement expenses on the 0% cards and not a lot happening with the mortgage.

Is it terrible that I am conscious of the number of months left I have of paying shocking nursery costs! :D Things get cheaper next Jan and even moreso the following September.

Have been spending as much time as possible outside with the children. They are now at the age when I can get jobs done whilst they play. You soon forget the struggle to hang washing on the line when you have a crawling baby who wants to explore the garden unsafely! We have had work done in the garden too, a luxury possibly but necessary for us to be able to enjoy it. Had decking done and will have big patio next week. As it is now the children only have limited space to play on bikes etc and I think it will add to 'saleability' a few years down the line if necessary.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback