David Lloyd Membership

Apologies if this is not in the correct location, I'm new here and wasn't sure where to put this.

I have a problem which I would very much appreciate some advice with.

I joined David Lloyd in Southampton on 31st August last year. I was working in Southampton but was planning to move to Exeter and had found a house which was in the process of going through. For some reason the Salesman told me that I should put the new address since that's where I was moving to.

I asked him at the time of joining whether I would be able to move clubs to the Exeter club, and he assured me that I would be able to free of charge.

So, fast forward a few months (I only went to the club once in Southampton, so I've been once in total!), I move to Exeter and then make my way to the Exeter club. Thinking it's quite a way, I carried on and spoke to the rep in the club. She showed me round and I instantly thought "Wow, this is nowhere near as nice as the Southampton club" But hey ho...! I then was told to move clubs it would cost me an extra £25 per month! WHAT?! I was promised it would be free.

So, I said that I would like to cancel my membership because I live more than 10 miles from the club. As per their terms.

I get told in the club that this is fine and I would need to send in my driving license as proof that I live more than 10 miles away. Which I did.

I then hear nothing and I start getting chased for my monthly payment (£115!!!) after a month or so, to which I respond by calling them... they then decided to tell me that they weren't going to cancel my membership because I gave my Exeter address when joining. Even though I joined the Southampton club.

They have now got a company called ARC on the case who call me multiple times a week asking for £1100!!! I have sent all the evidence I can to prove my point but they keep coming back to ask me for the money.

I've been to the club one time, I joined the Southampton club, I live more than 10 miles from the Exeter club.... how am I still liable for over £1000!!!!!

Please, can anyone help and offer some advice? Surely I can't just get screwed by big organisation like David Lloyd?!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A lot of health clubs do have a clause that allows you to cancel you membership if you move and cannot get to a local club easily. However, as you gave you Exeter address in the first place you have not moved as far as the contract is concerned and therefore cannot use this clause to escape the agreement. The fact that you now find the Exeter club to be inconveniently located is irrelevant. David Lloyd will argue that you knew you own address and the address of the Exeter DL club and should have done your research before-hand.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Do DL report to the credit reference agencies? Surely not. They are not lending you money. If they don't, just ignore the debt collectors - consider issuing them with a WOIRA notice, block their phone number and return correspondence to sender. It's very unlikely they would go for a county court judgement.

Gym membership is a big problem in the respect you describe. The industry is in need of a good dose of regulation.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you just spoken to the club, is there no central DL membership line? One explanation could be there is a different price structure at the clubs, e.g. exeter costs £25pm more for their membership than southampton club, so they are transferring it free just charging you the difference. Another is to change clubs you have to have a different type of membership and so they are "upgrading" you to allow the move.

You signed up for one but gave your future address, so cannot use the get out moving clause, and if you are on their standard membership its a minimum of 12 months with 3 month notice period. It's the same as someone living in Exeter but working in Southampton and wanting a gym near their workplace.

A lesson in life, sales people will often tell you what you want to hear to get a sale, and unless you have something down in writing it is hard for you to argue. In the end you signed a contract for 12 months using your Exeter address, so no get-out provision. There have been several threads about David LLoyd clubs and their appalling customer service and people being locked into contracts.
  • nic_c
    edited 6 March 2018 at 1:06PM
    tenchy wrote: »
    Do DL report to the credit reference agencies? Surely not. They are not lending you money. If they don't, just ignore the debt collectors - consider issuing them with a WOIRA notice, block their phone number and return correspondence to sender. It's very unlikely they would go for a county court judgement.

Gym membership is a big problem in the respect you describe. The industry is in need of a good dose of regulation.

BAD advice. Yes they probably don't report to the CRA, but if a DCA is involved and the sum is £1000+ then why would they NOT go down the county court route? A CCJ would appear on the credit report and been issued for far less than £1000 - like a tenth of that!!
  • tenchy
    nic_c wrote: »
    BAD advice. Yes they probably don't report to the CRA, but if a DCA is involved and the sum is £1000+ then why would they NOT go down the county court route? A CCJ would appear on the credit report and been issued for far less than £1000 - like a tenth of that!!

I didn't suggest ignoring a county court action. One step at a time... stick two fingers up at the debt collectors to start with, and if they are foolish enough to pursue it, then either defend it or pay.
  • MEM62

Absolutely! Holding people to the terms and conditions that they sign up to is outrageous. It must be stopped.
  • tenchy
    MEM62 wrote: »
    Absolutely! Holding people to the terms and conditions that they sign up to is outrageous. It must be stopped.

An incredibly simplistic response. Try searching this, and other, forums, and a general Google search, to see the myriad of problems people face in connection with gym membership.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    An incredibly simplistic response. Try searching this, and other, forums, and a general Google search, to see the myriad of problems people face in connection with gym membership.

And in nearly every case its because the people don't follow the terms and conditions they didn't bother to read when they signed up.
  • nic_c
    It's because salespeople spin the yarn to make the sale for their commission, and as you say many people don't read the T&C but rather believe what the salesperson says
  • MEM62

That is because it is an incredibly simple situation.

You sign a contract, the terms and conditions are detailed in that contract and you are agreeing to them. The 'myriad of problems' relate to people !!!!!ing about it after the event because the terms suddenly become inconvenient and want out.

The main problem with gym membership is people signing up, not going and then regretting the commitment they made when they see a month membership fee being taken for something that they have decided they no longer want to use. Classic spending remorse. Two simple courses of action that will alleviate the myriad of problems; either (a) read and understand the terms that you are signing up to or (b) join a health club that only has a monthly commitment - there are plenty around.

I doesn't get much simpler.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport