PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Comments

• Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    noelphobic wrote: »
    It's also worth asking individual shops what they do and don't take.

Whenever I am donating to a cahrity store that I have never donated to before,I ask them if they would be interested in the sort of stuff that I have.They always seem to say yes (lots of kids clothes and toys).And it is always wonderful to go back with more donations a few days later,and see the stuff you have previously donated,on the shelves.
    I am also a bit careful about when I donate seasonal stuff.For example,I mentioned on the 2017 thread that Iwas taking a week off work in September purely to declutter my loft :eek:.I knew I had alot of Christmas decorations I wanted to donate (and I also found 76 rolls of Christmas wrapping paper :eek::eek:),but there was no way I would donate Christmas stuff in September.Most Charity shops don't have the space to store stuff for 12 months til they bring it out to sell again.So I sorted it out,then held onto it until first week of December.I donated halloween stuff at the beginning of october,and I have a few Easter bits I set aside to donate closer to the time.
    Previously I was a bit like that when it comes to clothing (wouldn't donate heavy winter coats in June,etc.) But now that all my kids seem to wear is jeans,leggings and t-shirts,and they lose coats before they grow out of them :rotfl:,I don't think too hard about seasons now :o.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• 2018saver
    2018saver Posts: 50 Forumite
    Not much inroads made today, just 3 items from the garage in to the recycling. Must keep going!!
    24/2018
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Been busy decluttering
    24-25 2 bags of rubbish including old leads, empty deodorant containers etc from DS2 bedroom.
    26-29 tinsel and Christmas baubles and a broken icicle decoration and various bits from crackers.
    30-31 duvet and bits of bedding to RSPCA
    32-34 3 bags of clothes to the charity shop.
  • Love to continually keep on top of what we no longer need/grow out of. I'm a KMarie convert of quite some time now and generally have a check and clear each season.

This year I'm really enjoying seeing the lists being made of what's leaving your homes...so here's mine:

1 One of DD's xmas jumpers given to friend for her daughter.
    2-3 Pair of DS school shoes and trainers he's outgrown donated to charity clothing bank.
    4 Toy pushchair that had broken and become bent over the years taken to the dump.
    5-13 Floral top that's synthetic and 'static clings' on me no matter what, out of season football team Top Trumps game, x3 Angry Birds play sets, a cuddly large Gruffalo, a blue china teapot, a spare bath mat and an xmas lego shirt DS had outgrown taken to charity.
    14-17 Spare set of old bath towels donated to local vet as not been needed for a year and vet advertised they accepted. x2 bath, x2 hand.
    18-32 Set of Michael Morpurgo books and set of 'Dirty Bertie' books donated to DS's school library.
    33-36 Set of 4 white cake plates donated to village hall crockery.

Back to square one for another season.

Happy clearing! :T
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    4 old diaries from bookshelf now in recycling.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    9) broken clothes hanger, binned

10/11) pairs of socks, brand new, with tags still on
    12/20) books
    21/26) rulers - five of them! -one of the shops by me sends some of their donations abroad, to children in the third world, including pens, pencils etc. I'd forgotten, otherwise I would have taken them there.
    27) stencil
    28) unopened pack of 3 scented stashes for drawers etc

Above to charity shop.

29) flowers, dead, put in garden recycling bin

I'm a bit of a numbers nerd (and, allegedly, hoarding comes under the OCD umbrella!) I've worked out that to be on target to dispose of 2018 items I should have got rid of 27.6 by now so I'm pretty much bang on schedule.

I'm also very aware that there is a danger of getting rid of 2018 items and acquiring 2019 so I'm trying to think about what I'm buying and buy less.

On the subject of which, I'm going to Asda tomorrow to click and collect 2 coats. I'll definitely not be keeping both and they have charity recycling bins there so I will do my best to get something to take - I need to have gotten rid of 33.17 items by tomorrow :rotfl:

I'm resisting the urge to count the ins to ensure that there isn't anywhere near 2018, but I know I would drive myself mad in the process:eek:
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    29) flowers, dead, put in garden recycling bin

I'm a bit of a numbers nerd (and, allegedly, hoarding comes under the OCD umbrella!) I've worked out that to be on target to dispose of 2018 items I should have got rid of 27.6 by now so I'm pretty much bang on schedule.

I'm also very aware that there is a danger of getting rid of 2018 items and acquiring 2019 so I'm trying to think about what I'm buying and buy less.

On the subject of which, I'm going to Asda tomorrow to click and collect 2 coats. I'll definitely not be keeping both and they have charity recycling bins there so I will do my best to get something to take - I need to have gotten rid of 33.17 items by tomorrow :rotfl:

I'm resisting the urge to count the ins to ensure that there isn't anywhere near 2018, but I know I would drive myself mad in the process:eek:

I tend to work out where I 'should' be at the end of the month to try and ensure I'm on track! Currently I've got rid of 16.5 days worth, so I'm doing ok - although I know it'll slow down later this month.

I know that some things I get rid of are replaced (eg: outgrown school uniform) but I also know that my house contains less 'stuff' overall than it did - so I'm winning! :p I have a vision of how I'd like my home & garden to be (and how that impacts on my life) - Marie Kondo style - and I'm working towards that. I'm in no way aiming for perfectionism or minimalism, but a realistic vision for a household of 6 people :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Happy Weekend All :-)
    Everyone is doing well. Been at work all week, so not much achieved at home. Lots of excess Christmas chocolates and biscuits have left the house to be shared at work. A pair of fleecy pyjamas have gone to CS, just too warm for me the way my hormones are nowadays!
    Today's goal. Christmas tree down and decorations to be packed away. Might be a few bits that can go, although I had a big declutter of Christmas stuff last year, so won't be much. A general tidy and rehoming session also needed, so I might have a few bits to be ousted as a result.
    I resisted buying any Christmas wrap, tags, etc. in Jan sales this year. The savings aren't huge compared to what you could buy in £ shops, Home Bargains, etc. before Christmas and lots of that was nice designs, etc. So, won't need to store that this year.
    Right, best get a wriggle on and sort breakfast at least.
    Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • And we’re off.

1-50 books. From one half of a bookshelf.
    51-70 various tops jeans etc. Including oh Old cycling gear and a shirt that’s been hung on the back of the bathroom door for 18 months 😳

71-100. Tat

All this to the local hospice charity. They have a massive retail centre near me so I can drop the lot off on one go!

Have bags of rubbish/recycling to go too, I’ll pop to the tip later and recycle that way.

Chuffed to be on the way!

Oh is currently recycling three trees into firewood :eek:
    Debt free January 2019.

Now working on the mortgage! :beer:
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    29)

Now that's interesting. .......counting the ins as well as the outs.......that might just work for me:rotfl:
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure