Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• d0nna
    d0nna Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    andygb wrote: »
    I should have added that I microwaved both dishes as opposed to oven heat. I did cheat a little with the Jalfrezi (because that was going to be my one - hotter), and I did a few extra slices of onions and six green birdseye chillis to a pan, and sauteed them, then added the Jalfrezi to it once it had cooked.

This is the biryani rice

23024783734_52e596f11e_z.jpg

Sounds and looks delicious!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Really?! What does it taste like?

I'm asking you rather than going into the kitchen and trying some. ;)
    Like what I imagine eating a mouse would be like.:eek:

Many years ago a workmate seeing me eating sliced kiwi told me I was meant to eat the skin. Being young and kiwi being a relatively 'new' (at least to me) fruit, I believed her and tried it. It remains the only time I ever tried it.
  • marbella
    marbella Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had the Lamb Shank in Minted Gravy last night (Lidl) and it was amazing. £2.49 and there was so much meat on it. Cook in the microwave 7 mins. Nice quick meal coming in from work last night.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I wasn't that keen on the Lamb when I tried it, but the Beef is fantastic.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Has anyone else thought that the topping on Lidl's vegetable pizza slice from the bakery has reduced?

I don't have a Lidl nearby, so only buy them occasionally when I'm on the road, but I'm sure the topping has reduced.
  • Colgate triple action toothpaste 79p in Aldi for 100g

Not seen it cheaper than £1 anywhere else
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    treboeth wrote: »
    Are they the double rolls?
    If they are try the Nicky toilet rolls from Farmfoods, as an Aldi fan even I think the Nicky ones are much nicer (3 ply as well)
    Can't bear them, cheap and nasty.
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Has anyone else thought that the topping on Lidl's vegetable pizza slice from the bakery has reduced?
    No, but the croissants are delicious. I ate the best part of one before I even reached the till yesterday, I really should have paid first and eaten later :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    treboeth wrote: »
    Are they the double rolls?
    If they are try the Nicky toilet rolls from Farmfoods, as an Aldi fan even I think the Nicky ones are much nicer (3 ply as well)
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Can't bear them, cheap and nasty.

I'm with treboeth on that. Nicky Elite 3-ply certainly aren't nasty - check out the Amazon reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicky-Elite-Luxury-Toilet-Rolls/dp/B00FBEBWP2

They are cheap, though - less than £4 for 18 in a couple of places.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I'm with treboeth on that. Nicky Elite 3-ply certainly aren't nasty - check out the Amazon reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicky-Elite-Luxury-Toilet-Rolls/dp/B00FBEBWP2

They are cheap, though - less than £4 for 18 in a couple of places.

I think she was probably referring to the cheap Nicky toilet rolls as sold by discounter stores which certainly are cheap and nasty. The rolls are thin and loosely packed and the paper disintegrates as soon as it gets wet.

What you ever posted appears to be a more "luxury" type. The problem with buying them online means you don't get to inspect them first and have to rely on others' opinion which can vary enormous.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I think she was probably referring to the cheap Nicky toilet rolls as sold by discounter stores which certainly are cheap and nasty. The rolls are thin and loosely packed and the paper disintegrates as soon as it gets wet.

What you ever posted appears to be a more "luxury" type. The problem with buying them online means you don't get to inspect them first and have to rely on others' opinion which can vary enormous.

I'm sure you're right. The one referred to was Nicky Elite (it's 3-ply) and the basic Nicky won't be as strong.

Nicky Elite is pretty widely available in discount stores such as Farmfoods though at £3.99 for 18, and it's vastly superior to the Aldi equivalent. I say that as a longstanding supporter of Aldi (and Lidl) too. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure