Sky Q

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    teddysmum wrote: »
    was told that Sky are concentrating on Q , having little interest in the communication side , but are find Q and the recent football expensive,

Which is probably why they are not making Sky+ available to new customers anymore. They've invested so much money into it that they need people using it! I'm pretty surprised at the speed they have shoved Sky+ into the background though.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Which is probably why they are not making Sky+ available to new customers anymore. They've invested so much money into it that they need people using it! I'm pretty surprised at the speed they have shoved Sky+ into the background though.
    No Sky + ? I that case they certainly won't be getting me back, after my tv goes off next week.

What is the point of multiple channels if you can't record them ?
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

I'm not and have been expecting it for weeks.
    Theres also a further move and development happening in that SKY are also about to begin phasing out SKY SD boxes (approx 2-3m are still in circulation), which will be replaced by & with free HD+ boxes, a move which will save them millions in re-transmission costs.
    As SD boxes can't decode the sat broadcast format used for HD (HTML5, H264 & DVB-S2) so they currently have to transmit all channels twice.
    Whereas the manufacturing cost of a HD+ box is now only £30-£40. So to make such a change is a commercial no-brainer.
  • mije1983
    No Sky + ? I that case they certainly won't be getting me back, after my tv goes off next week.

What is the point of multiple channels if you can't record them ?

Existing customers can keep their Sky+ boxes and subscription, but new ones have to have Sky Q. You can still record on Sky Q.
  • teddysmum
    Existing customers can keep their Sky+ boxes and subscription, but new ones have to have Sky Q. You can still record on Sky Q.

I absolutely will not pay the ridiculous fees for Q, as even 'ordinary Sky is overpriced.

I see now what mje meant. I thought they were saying you couldn't have the SKY+ facility (ie they would prevent your HD box from recording) , but they meant that you can't have the non-Q box.
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    if that is the case and sky+ is now no longer available to new customers at all they will surely be shooting themselves in the foot and stopping a number of people from having their service.

For example i live in a building with 20 flats, the flats are hooked up to one communal sky+ dish on the roof of the building and wiring internally.

Given that SkyQ needs a completely new dish, then any one else who buys a flat in the building would not be able to get the service, because it would require all other leaseholders to agree to the Sky+ dish being removed and the SkyQ compatible dish being placed instead (the building leases prevent separate ariels etc). As such they will be pushing potential customers straight to their competitors.

When i was looking to purchase this flat, i viewed a number of other properties which are set up in a similar way too, so it would not be just a small number of buildings either across the country.
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
  • mije1983
    anna42hmr wrote: »
    if that is the case and sky+ is now no longer available to new customers at all they will surely be shooting themselves in the foot and stopping a number of people from having their service.

For example i live in a building with 20 flats, the flats are hooked up to one communal sky+ dish on the roof of the building and wiring internally.

Given that SkyQ needs a completely new dish, then any one else who buys a flat in the building would not be able to get the service, because it would require all other leaseholders to agree to the Sky+ dish being removed and the SkyQ compatible dish being placed instead (the building leases prevent separate ariels etc). As such they will be pushing potential customers straight to their competitors.

When i was looking to purchase this flat, i viewed a number of other properties which are set up in a similar way too, so it would not be just a small number of buildings either across the country.

Sky have seemingly thought of that already

https://communaltv.sky.com/news/the-latest-from-sky/introducing-sky-q-a-whole-new-way-of-watching-tv-by-chris-collinson-sales-and-marketing-director-sky/?n=2405
  • teddysmum
    edited 7 October 2016 at 10:32PM
    The webpage has changed since yesterday and, yes, no split screen to go for Q or the 'old' system.

Prices look the same as before (for the time being), but no deals for new customers, except a paltry £25 reward (How very generous).

A customer service person, today, told me that they are finding Q and the football agreement expensive so are cutting back deals.

They lost me, for one (poor phone/ADSL deal and I've realised that I actually watch little non-Freeview stuff, anyway) . I've gone over to PlusNet and the customer service person who helped me over the phone said they are getting increasing applications from ex-Sky customers; not surprising.

Another point: If you have a Sky+ box and it fails, you won't be able to buy a replacement on Ebay, as supplies dry up, so there could well be the expense of a callout to re-cable for a Q box.
  • mije1983
    The webpage has changed since yesterday and, yes, no split screen to go for Q or the 'old' system.

Prices look the same as before (for the time being), but no deals for new customers, except a paltry £25 reward (How very generous).

A customer service person, today, told me that they are finding Q and the football agreement expensive so are cutting back deals.

They lost me, for one (poor phone/ADSL deal and I've realised that I actually watch little non-Freeview stuff, anyway) . I've gone over to PlusNet and the customer service person who helped me over the phone said they are getting increasing applications from ex-Sky customers; not surprising.

Another point: If you have a Sky+ box and it fails, you won't be able to buy a replacement on Ebay, as supplies dry up, so there could well be the expense of a callout to re-cable for a Q box.

Funnily enough I'm thinking about moving back to Sky for BB as my BT offer has finished now and my price has gone through the roof.

I would imagine Sky would have a supply of old boxes that they have refurbished. I've never actually bought one from eBay. I've had 2 go faulty in my time with Sky, and I've gone to cancel both times and they have sent an engineer out for free = free box exchange.

The Q equipment is only loaned to the customer from Sky, so the equipment will be covered by them, similar to Virgin.
  • teddysmum
    But Sky may decide to play difficult over replacement Sky+ boxes and try to force you onto Q, with the cost of rewiring incurred.

Yesterday's cs person told me they are finding the roll out of Q and the football contract expensive, so I wouldn't be surprised to see larger than usual price increases in future.

It won't bother me, as I'm leaving, but it's a pity for those people who can't get tv via aerial so rely on Sky or Virgin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure