PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any opinions on these duvet covers? Wondering what to buy.

I've had my current two duvet covers for over 13 years and they're now threadbare, see-through and starting to fall apart. I've decided it might be time to replace them but I'm wondering whether to buy cheap stuff or if that's false economy, and I should get something more expensive.

I've seen this which is nice:
http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Harriet+Hare+Plain+Jacquard+duvet+cover/227815541,default,pd.html
It says jacquard and I'm wondering if that means it will be durable and last a long time? I've googled this but it just says it's a 'fine' fabric with raised areas etc. I'm also wondering if jacquard would be heavy feeling and perhaps take forever to dry?

I also like this:
http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Linea+Egyptian+cotton+duvet+cover/228379792,default,pd.html
Much cheaper. But maybe it wouldn't last as long?

Or should I go really cheap with polyester types? Whatever I get needs to be able to cope with at least 60 degree washing and repeated tumble drying.

Any opinions or recommendations would be appreciated. I know it's only bed linen but I'm not the type to spend money regularly buying new stuff. I want it to last a very long time.

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I think you're right OP, the first would take longer to dry because of the thread count, but also be more durable. I'm inclined to think you might get away with washing a duvet cover less frequently than sheets so it may be less of a problem than you think.

If this is the style you're after, I would go for it and forget the cheaper version. My bedding is worn after 15 years but still ok; cheaper ones tend not to fare so well in the washing machine!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I've had my current two duvet covers for over 13 years and they're now threadbare, see-through and starting to fall apart. I've decided it might be time to replace them but I'm wondering whether to buy cheap stuff or if that's false economy, and I should get something more expensive.

I've seen this which is nice:
    http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Harriet+Hare+Plain+Jacquard+duvet+cover/227815541,default,pd.html
    It says jacquard and I'm wondering if that means it will be durable and last a long time? I've googled this but it just says it's a 'fine' fabric with raised areas etc. I'm also wondering if jacquard would be heavy feeling and perhaps take forever to dry?

I also like this:
    http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Linea+Egyptian+cotton+duvet+cover/228379792,default,pd.html
    Much cheaper. But maybe it wouldn't last as long?

Or should I go really cheap with polyester types? Whatever I get needs to be able to cope with at least 60 degree washing and repeated tumble drying.

Any opinions or recommendations would be appreciated. I know it's only bed linen but I'm not the type to spend money regularly buying new stuff. I want it to last a very long time.

I have to say those both look very expensive to me and I would prefer to pay less, even if they needed replacing more often.

Is there any reason that they have to take such a bashing when being laundered? I have sets nearly as old as yours that are still going strong, despite having the occasional dog on them, but I normally wash at 40 degrees and line dry.

ETA

How often do you wash your duvet cover?
  • VfM4meplse
    edited 1 November 2016 at 10:01PM
    Well you've certainly raised interest, OP: 9 people are looking at both right now :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The bashing comes from a high spin that I daren't use on anything delicate! I hate drying stuff indoors in the winter but not do I wish to spend hours ironing bedding dry so the 1600 spin has it! The cover is usually washed once a fortnight along with towels and mats.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 November 2016 at 10:09PM
    I use a flat sheet so the duvet cover isn't washed each time. It's only changed every 4 weeks.

I prefer to wash all bed linen at 60 degrees as it'll help kill dust mites and everything has to be tumble dried from Oct-April at least where I live. I try to line dry in summer if it's dry but for a lot of the year, it's not possible. I also won't dry anything on radiators etc as I'm paranoid about damp.

I've just realised I've never actually bought a duvet cover (strange, I know!) so I'm not sure what's good quality or a good price. My current ones were given to me by a relative.
  • VfM4meplse
    edited 1 November 2016 at 10:20PM
    The flat sheet is new information, OP!

My thinking now is: your duvet cover will be largely decorative and not directly in contact with night time nasties. If it's something that's only going to be laundered 13 times a year, I predict it will be line dried outside for 8 of those washes. In which case go for light and cheap, you'll be able to air dry it over the staircase balustrade during the winter providing you warm your home effectively.

Personally I would hold off and buy them from Sainsbury's or Aldi, they can be had for £20 and the quality is good enough.

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    First of all, wait till the blue cross sale, you can get them at up to 70% off

I bought the linea three years ago and am very happy with the quality

However the depth of the bottom sheet isn't as deep as I'd like

I also use a top sheet, saves the duvet covers
  • We had to buy new duvet covers this year as we bought a super king wool duvet and I as we love plain white bedding, we got John Lewis organic fairtrade cotton duvet covers. They are fab and wash brilliantly at 60*
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Cotton percale is hard wearing - also look at hotel bedding - which needs to be!
    I'm going to give these a try https://www.hilden.co.uk/bed-linen
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I have found these to be good value: http://www.justlinen.co.uk/dorma.asp
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    jackyann wrote: »
    I have found these to be good value: http://www.justlinen.co.uk/dorma.asp

oooh thank you for that link jackyann - I got a couple of fitted sheets from the hospice shop last year from V+A collection and they are FAB quality - I was veering towards plain white linen - but I never thought to Googly V+A (deffo-out-of-my-price-range full retail price lol)
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure