PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Working out how much filling per sandwich?

Options

Comments

• MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, so, helpful all of you. Thanks! I'll ditch the rolls and the cheese.

Never done anything like this before as it's not my kind of food (or my mums since she was diagnosed with diabetes and changed her lifestyle to drop from a size 24 to a size 10!!!!) but it's the sort of thing she reckons her guests will like and she's eager to please and been worrying about it for weeks.

Nomoonatall will probably go 1/2 and 1/2 with bread - like you said, looks much better and IMO brown bread is yummier!

Pollycat, was thinking just "closed" sandwiches. Everything will be bought cooked. Think I'll stick to finger food because I'm worried people are more likely to drop fork-y food (lord knows we'll probably be picking up loads of smushed picnic eggs at 12am which is why I'm uncharactistically not drinking)

Thank you all, great starting point :D
  • MandM90
    Options
    MandM90, Okay the party is for your Mother...but it looks like she'll only be having a hummus roll and some crisps.

Would adding baked spuds (wrapped in foil) be any good....or pizza bites...everyone eats cold pizza, no matter what they say! Maybe some salad, to make the rolls go further. Fruit?

I'm probably being no help. Sorry! x

All very helpful, had bizarrely not thought of fruit!

I'm not sure if she'll be taking a "night off" or just feeding herself before, but she's a bit of a health nut these days and tends to turn up to family events having already eaten to prevent temptation from striking :eek: Wish I were that disciplined.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    MandM90 wrote: »
    I know some people eat a lot when they start drinking

No, they eat a lot when they know its free.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If your mum is expecting 90 she's doing well!

Would asking guests to "bring a buffet dish" and providing some food and all the drink and utensils be out of the question? It would certainly be a lot easier for you! Plus guests could take what isn't consumed back home with them, much less washing up :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.divinedinnerparty.com/how-to-calculate-food-for-party.html good place to start :)

there are loads of food calculators out there to help you - worth a gander!

Ultimately you know your family best LOL would they hold out on dinner in the hope of grub? If so baked spuds are your friend!!!! 2 or 3 toppings (they can be cold!) like cheese, tuna sweetcorn or chili (ok that one would be hot!) :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One of the best buffets I have been to is one without sandwiches, slices of meat, a cheese board, pastries, selection of salads, sausage rolls, pork pie, Indian snacks, and bread with butter. Much less hassle.
    Have a great time.
  • MandM90
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    If your mum is expecting 90 she's doing well!

Would asking guests to "bring a buffet dish" and providing some food and all the drink and utensils be out of the question? It would certainly be a lot easier for you! Plus guests could take what isn't consumed back home with them, much less washing up :D

Unlike myself she's a social butterfly! She runs a running club, is on the board of trustees for a charity, helps with a tennis club, attends yoga, meditation and all on top of a full time job :eek:

Suki, I basically used everything you suggested and have ordered the two chickens, tuna, bread, hummus, veg, snacks and seven loaves of bread. I'm sure it'll be enough :beer:
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    One of the best buffets I have been to is one without sandwiches, slices of meat, a cheese board, pastries, selection of salads, sausage rolls, pork pie, Indian snacks, and bread with butter. Much less hassle.
    Have a great time.

This in my experience is the best way to do it. Platters of meats and cheese, bowls of dips, crisps and fruit, and plates of bread, cakes and desserts. Self assembly, no-one picking open sandwiches to see what's in them and it looks more upmarket too!

Xxx
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ask a local charity (Scouts, the homeless) if they'd accept leftover food?

Any wastage can then be solved simply with a spare roll of tinfoil.

Hoping all goes well & that you have a wonderful party - congratulations to mum on 60th!
  • MandM90
    Options
    Love the idea of "self service" but mum is worried about extra mess and also the venue don't want any sharp knives on tables (go figure). Tis a shame because I wouldn't mind knocking up a couple of interesting loaves to add to the spread. In fact, if I get time I'll do a tear n share or three as they take barely any time, look great and require no maiming instruments.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure