chargeback

Options
I made a successful chargeback claim against tsb in the wake of the lowcosthioliday collapse. I was pleasantly surprised how quick my money landed back in my account however several weeks later I have received a letter from tsb telling me that the money will be re-debited from my account if tsb fail to recover it. does anyone know at what point is it safe to spend the money?

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Its sounds like it might not be, I cant see how they can recover it?
  • trevrev3
    Options
    I agree but surely there must be some time bar at which point they cant take it back??
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Six years.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    If it's a credit card you make a S75 claim if they take the money back.
  • trevrev3
    Options
    I should have mentioned its a debit card. do I really have to wait 6 years to spend the money? I,ll try to get to a branch this weekend, see if I can get an answer. if I do I,ll post it here.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    trevrev3 wrote: »
    I should have mentioned its a debit card. do I really have to wait 6 years to spend the money? I,ll try to get to a branch this weekend, see if I can get an answer. if I do I,ll post it here.

You will be wasting your time - branch staff won't be able to help or influence something that may or not happen in the future.
    If they have refunded you - leave it at that - get on with your life - much more important things to worry about.
  • trevrev3
    Options
    branch have given me a number to call...watch this space
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    trevrev3 wrote: »
    branch have given me a number to call...watch this space

Which I advised you that they would - you could have phoned them from home without going into the branch.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't actually want to give you false hope here if I am wrong, but I just want to say that I think they have to say that just to cover their backs if something ever happened.

I was victim to nearly £1500 in 2015 after £1000 went via PayPal to a gambling website I frequently used, and the rest came straight out of my First Direct account. FD said it wasn't fraudulent and didn't want to pay me back, so when I made a complaint, the lady informed me she would refund me the money and issue chargebacks to PayPal and William Hill (the gambling website) but I had to sign a form that if PayPal or William Hill could prove that it wasn't fraudulent within 60 days, they'd claim the money back from me. Well I signed it, sent it back and withdrew all that money and put it into separate accounts, holding no money in my First Direct until 4/5 months later. I just looked one day and realised I'd forgotten all about the 60 day thing and so I moved everything back over.

So I think they do just say that to cover their backs. PayPal promised me they could prove that these payments weren't fraudulent, but the bank obviously ignored them and fought my case
  • trevrev3
    Options
    at last...tsb have just told me that the 56 day deadline has passed and I can spend my money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure