Applying to companies with no vacancies

Hi all,

Could anyone help me on how best to word an email to a company that isn't recruiting at present.

My grandfather worked for the company for over 25yrs, but unfortunately doesn't know anyone still connected to the business. I'm hoping to drop his name in somewhere in the hope someone has heard of him.

I would like to attach my CV and to say that I am open to not only office roles, but also to train within the company.

Thanks.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You say your grandfather worked there for over 25 years but would anyone know him by name ?

Is he a well known person linked to the busines ?
  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I wouldn't mention your grandfather at all, why do you think that dropping his name in would help your chances? Surely how he was as an employee has no bearing on how you might be.
    :p
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Be vague in your covering letter eg. I really would appreciate the chance to work for you as a member of my family has experience working for xxx Ltd. and has recommended you as a great employer.

If you get as far as interview you can name names.

The letter will get taken more seriously if a) you find out who to address it to by name rather than "Human Resources" or MD - quick phone call should find this out - and b) if it has particular reasons why you are the right person for them apart from your familial links.
  • **woody123**
    **woody123** Posts: 598 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2016 at 3:40PM
    Thanks for the replies.

A couple of people who are still there may remember my grandfather. It's a small to medium sized business, and he was works manager, and then office manager. He worked there for over 25 years. His brother also was a director there for around 15yrs. My grandfather retired in 1991.

I'm still undecided on whether to mention names or not now. I may do as robatwork suggests and drop names in if I get to the interview stage.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I wouldn't mention names. I recruit for a large company and go on what the person can offer. Not who they know.

I think it might put me off if I thought someone thought name dropping would put them at an advantage.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    robatwork wrote: »
    The letter will get taken more seriously if a) you find out who to address it to by name rather than "Human Resources" or MD
    I'd put it stronger than that: letters and emails NOT addressed by name to the right person will get nowhere at all ...
    quick phone call should find this out
    And use that phone call to find out if they ever recruit in this way, and if not how they DO recruit, and if yes what sort of roles they recruit for in this way.
    and b) if it has particular reasons why you are the right person for them apart from your familial links.
    Indeed. Although if the surname is distinctive it may be worth using it at an early stage.

One other tip, practice what you want to say in that phone call, have a list of things you want to say / questions you want to ask. Even if you are speaking to someone junior 'just' to get a name, you may get useful information which you can use in your application.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I also wouldn't mention your grandfathers name. Maybe if someone who did know him recognised the surname (if you have the same surname) and asked are you related to so and so then reply.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Hi all,

Could anyone help me on how best to word an email to a company that isn't recruiting at present.

My grandfather worked for the company for over 25yrs, but unfortunately doesn't know anyone still connected to the business. I'm hoping to drop his name in somewhere in the hope someone has heard of him.

I would like to attach my CV and to say that I am open to not only office roles, but also to train within the company.

Thanks.

Quite apart from the fact that they have no vacancies...

Just because your grandfather worked there for 25 years, does not mean that anyone left has fond memories of him. How do you know that mentioning his name will be a benefit? You only have his word for it (I assume) - everyone he worked with may have hated his guts!

And if you can't get a job on your own merits, then you don't deserve the job.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 October 2016 at 11:25PM
    I don't think there would be anything wrong mentioning his name in a covering email or a covering letter.

You could phrase it as part of the reason why you are applying, which is true, as it helps show that you know a bit about the business.

I think a long-standing family connection is quite nice, even if the person receiving the email didn't know him personally.
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    ~Beanie~ wrote: »
    I wouldn't mention your grandfather at all, why do you think that dropping his name in would help your chances? Surely how he was as an employee has no bearing on how you might be.

It;s a natural way of showing the employer that they have a good reputation and would be a good company to work for,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure