Which companies ignore 'no cold caller' signs?

Comments

• ismeval
    ismeval Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    glock339 wrote: »
    Hi there I'm a Firefighter & part of my duties sometimes include going around streets, knocking on peoples doors to offer them free smoke alarm fitted & also an informal fire safety chat only if they want it as well.

I have seen these signs a few times while out & about & have wondered whether I should be knocking on their door or not? I think most people do not mind but I do wonder if I should be?

Well I would be more than happy to talk to firemen if they knocked on my door .... I have smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms etc, but unfortunately there are still some folks who do not bother with this - so yes I would welcome any advise and hope others would do the same .. :)

Valerie
  • Maz101
    Maz101 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I work from home and the local postie and parcel companies can see me, and I am a firm favoroite to take in the neighbourhoud parcels - I have no issue with this. However, my working day consists of conference calls and I really do not want to be disturbed whilst at work. I have a sign about cold calling and it has not worked. But what really annoys me is the incredulous looks I get when I've answered the door and said 'sorry I can't speak to you, I'm at work'. Why do they think my semi -scruffy jeans and t-shirt mean I couldn't possibly be doing anything important and try to argue with me. I have created my own sign on the back of some of this forum and I'll see how it goes.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Can we add Clothes Aid to the list as well please?
  • ismeval
    If the 'clothes aid' folks are leaving bags then I use the bags as bin liners .... I did see a report recently on TV which said most of these are bogus and the money does not go direct to a charity, so much better to take clothes etc to an actual charity shop

Val
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    glock339 wrote: »
    Hi there I'm a Firefighter & part of my duties sometimes include going around streets, knocking on peoples doors to offer them free smoke alarm fitted & also an informal fire safety chat only if they want it as well.

I have seen these signs a few times while out & about & have wondered whether I should be knocking on their door or not? I think most people do not mind but I do wonder if I should be?

Personally, I'd much prefer you to cold call, than have to "hot call" one dark night. :)
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • ismeval
    I think we all would .... firemen do a fantastic job and quite often at risk of their own lives ....

Val
  • Talktalk are awful for ignoring our sign , also for some reason charities seem to think it doesn't apply to them , when I point out the sign they often look shocked and say something along the lines of ... But I'm collecting for cancer/ hospice/ children ! I don't care !!
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Some more additions:
    Macmillan Cancer Support (doorstep chuggers)
    Save the Children (also doorstep chuggers)
    Treating Children with Cancer (I've withdrawn implied right of access from these guys, sent them a penalty charge invoice, threatened them with court, and they still put bags through the door periodically)
    Clothes Aid and any charity that hires them
  • PinkLipgloss
    PinkLipgloss Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    It seems a lot of cold callers are not aware that they are indeed "cold callers".

Perhaps people should put up a sign that says:

ONLY knock/ring if:

- you have an appointment
    - you are a postal worker/courier with a recorded delivery/parcel for me
    - you are a personal friend/family member

If you are none of the above you are a cold caller and not welcome!
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" (Douglas Adams)
  • yayo
    yayo Posts: 3 Newbie
    Add the Mark Group to the list of "it dont apply to me guv" idiots - claiming to be giving not selling insulation - as if! Also claiming to be working with blessing of local council. Check out the list of complaints about their workmanship if tempted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure