Reclaiming Natwest and Halifax Overdraft Charges

Options
Just want to start off by saying the resolver tool is brilliant and have used it successfully to recoup £815.00 worth of charges for my halifax ultimate reward account for monthly fees.

I am now in the process of trying to recover overdraft charges for both my halifax and natwest current accounts and have sent off a £10 postal order to each for the data access request. Halifax have wrote to me and confirmed they will send the information to a local branch and I will need to visit the branch with proofs of new address to obtain the information. I will then send off the information requesting the charges back with interest.

Does anyone have recent experiences of dealing with these two and what was the timeline in getting a refund ? Many thanks

Comments

• societys_child
    Options
    Why do you feel overdraft charges should be repaid?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am now in the process of trying to recover overdraft charges for both my halifax and natwest current accounts

On what basis do you think they should be refunded?
    have sent off a £10 postal order to each for the data access request.

That is £20 wasted. Why did you do that?
    Does anyone have recent experiences of dealing with these two and what was the timeline in getting a refund ?

The banks won the court case back in 2009. Reclaiming of charges is over. You missed that boat. They only consider goodwill refunds in cases of current financial hardship and even then, its usually only the last 6-12 months depending on the severity of hardship. They also have other options available which they use. Such as suspending future charges for a period or putting you onto a debt management plan.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bmws1985
    bmws1985 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I am claiming under the financial hardship element and there have been several successful claims on this forum, Martin himself outlines this himself on the covering page. I suggest if you are not going to help and simply judgement maybe this forum isn't for you?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 October 2016 at 4:23PM
    Options
    bmws1985 wrote: »
    I am claiming under the financial hardship element and there have been several successful claims on this forum, Martin himself outlines this himself on the covering page. I suggest if you are not going to help and simply judgement maybe this forum isn't for you?
    No here one is "judging" you that I can see.

You have certainly wasted £20 on SAR letters to the banks, though, just as advised above.

The fact is that the banks already know what you have paid in charges, but are under no obligation to refund you anything at all. Any refund they do make is goodwill gesture and certainly won't be historical charges from years back.

You don't therefore "claim" a particular amount or charge. You also won't be receiving any interest.

What you have to do is simply write to the Banks outlining the circumstances of your financial hardship. If the bank agree that you are in their definition of financial hardship they MAY agree to refund (some) charges. typically those applied in the last year or less. However, the Bank has a range of options available to alleviate financial hardship. They may, for example, choose instead to freeze interest on your overdraft or impose a debt management programme.

You should also realise that the Banks will examine your statements to see if there is evidence of consumer spending suggesting you are not in financial hardship. If you have an expensive Sky satellite subscription or you are regularly eating out etc you can expect your "claim" to be rejected.

You should also beware of making any reference to the charges being "unfair".
    Martin himself outlines this himself on the covering page
    "Martin" didn't write the MSE advice article about reclaiming Bank Charges and it's poorly written with lots of factual errors. It needs to be completely revised.

The fact is that since the 2009 court case, people don't receive refunds of historical charges and only those who are in genuine financial hardship get anything at all.

Just for information, Martin Lewis sold this site some time ago. He no longer takes any personal active role.
  • dunstonh
    Options

I suggest you read what was written and stop being rude to those that post here to help.

Now we know you are looking at the "current" financial hardship route, we can, if we decide to keep helping you, look at ways you do that.

Next question is, do you hold a current banking relationship with Natwest and Halifax? (i.e. you still bank with them).

What priority debts are you in arrears with (council tax, utilities etc)?
    What other arrears/defaults are there?
    Are your spending habits limited to essentials? (no spending at NEXT or sandwiches at M&S - both of those have been used as a reason not to pay anything on past cases. No high Sky TV or similar, high mobile phone bills, dining out etc)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Next question is, do you hold a current banking relationship with Natwest and Halifax? (i.e. you still bank with them).
    This is crucial, of course. There will be no refunds forthcoming if the OP no longer has open accounts with those Banks...
  • bmws1985
    Options
    Result! Speaking to the NatWest subject access request team today and they've agreed to send me a cheque for £1850!
    For those of you out there still hoping to reclaim these unfair charges there's light at the end of the tunnel! Bit annoyed they wouldn't pair me the 8% annual interest charge but hey ho!
  • dunstonh
    Options
    For those of you out there still hoping to reclaim these unfair charges there's light at the end of the tunnel!

No there is not. It is important not to use the word unfair when looking for a goodwill gesture under financial hardship.
    Bit annoyed they wouldn't pair me the 8% annual interest charge but hey ho!

That is because it is a goodwill gesture. Not a complaint outcome.
    and they've agreed to send me a cheque for £1850!

Well done.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Result! Speaking to the NatWest subject access request team today and they've agreed to send me a cheque for £1850!
    It would be useful for other claimants if you detailed exactly what charges that £1850 consisted of and a basic outline of your financial hardship...
  • bmws1985
    Options
    The charges related to rejected direct debits, unauthorised overdraft fees, two rejected cheques etc. Financial hardship included going into a DMP for the account itself (although cleared some time ) and another credit card so they could tell genuine financial need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure