DMP Mutual Support Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Hi all,

Just popping in to say that after years of hammering the credit card (especially at this time of year) I have just purchased my last pressie and of course, have not spent a penny on credit !! :T:T:T

The feeling is soooo strange yet brilliantly liberating - I hope that many more of us on here have managed to do the same without too much stress and worry.

For me, it has been relatively straight forward - started buying a few pressies a month from May onwards, didn't buy for any friends and their children (well disguised due to credit crunch!!) and have been a little more creative with family and DD. Hubby is getting the smallest token and he is doing the same with me. I have been shopping very carefully for things like computer games for nephews getting the lowest possible price on the net and extra treats like choccies and alcohol in the house have been trimmed right down.

This is going to sound very odd but I have actually enjoyed the challenge! In fact, turning down invites to xmas meals and drinks has been MUCH harder and I have given in a couple of times and set myself a tight budget by taking cash and not my debit card with me.

I keep thinking that in January when much of the country has a 'hangover' from how much money they have spent, I will have made another payment to CCCS and actually have less debt!

I really hope others on here feel as positive as me - I have been in a DMP for nearly a year and it has been tougher than I imagined sticking to budget. There have been some seriously depressing times - one month we ran out of food money and couldn't even buy toilet roll for the 3 days before being paid - kept bringing some home from work each night!! I hope in 5 years I can look back and laugh at that day and there will probably be some more like that to come...

BUT for those of you just starting out, you will soon settle down into the routine of it and just watch every penny!!

Tinkerbell12 x
    :idea: Jan 2008-Paid 74% of debt as of MAR 2012 (DFD - APR 2014)
    :grin: DMP Support Thread Member 154 :grin: DFW Long Hauler 116 :grin:
    :grin: Official DFW Nerd Club 928- Proud to be dealing with my debts :grin:
  • Hi all! (apologies in advance for the long post!)

I have hovered around on this thread for a while now (well since october!)

CCCS advised me that they were sending off my offer letters to creditors on the 16th, and an info pack to me advising how to make my first payment. Ive not got this yet but going to call them today.

I just want to say to anyone considering this, ive not even really started and i feel much better bout my finances!

I sent the letter to all my creditors, along with a notification of DMP & advised in BIG BOLD writing that i would no longer discuss this over the phone, only by writing.

After about 2 wks its all gone very quiet!! my biggest problem was a very rude woman from halifax credit cards, shouting at me down the phone as i was 'unwiling to co operate'. I explained to her that i had written to them, and i await their reply. Also that as i had requested no more phone calls in my letter that they should stop calling. She didnt take this well and when i quoted the OFT's harrassement rules, she said i was making it all up!! I take great pleasure in the fact ive not heard from them since, so i think i win!!

I just wanted to let anyone who is considering this know my experiences.

I also have credit with welcome finance, who have been really good with me! I went down to see them in person, made a token payment of £10 and handed them the letter. They just said thats great, we'll wait for the letter from CCCS.

The loan store have just written to me offering a reduced payment, but ill just let CCCS deal with them.
    Capital one have gone very quiet also, which is a bit of a miracle if u ask me!! :j

Anyhoo, id like a number please, as looks like im here until jan 2011! :rotfl:

S x
    Proud to be dealing with my debt pile!
    DFD March 2011, 26 payments to go!! :T & £9197 to pay off!
    CCCS have saved my sanity!!! :rotfl:
  • Evening All :D

Tinkerbell, that's fantastic news and a very positive post - thank you! We need to see more positive posts, dont we. I'm hoping to feel proud come January time and maybe I can ease off beating myself with this big stick I seem to have found :o .

I have already started thinking about Christmas 2009 (previously unheard of in my world!) to the extent that I'm joining a tontine through work and I'm also giving mum money to put away out of my reach! I'm keeping all receipts from this month and I'm going to work out exactly what was spent (without credit I might add) so that I can realistically try to budget better for next year. So, that's positive, isnt it :confused:

Starlite, no apology necessary ... I appear to have a habit of rambling, so you can write as long a post as you like to make mine look tiny :rotfl:

Thank you for sharing your story so far. I wish I could give you a number but I think we have to wait for Rayday2 to do that, sorry, but stick around, you will get one. Well done on quoting the OFT harrassment rules, yes, you win :T .

Six months into ours and the only people who tend to call (automated of course) are HSBC ... so we just ignore the number when it comes up, simple! Even the kids know to ignore the 0800 number :p (I keep telling them its someone trying to sell insurance :o ooops! bad mummy!)

For anyone else just hovering about - feel free to pop in and say "hello". It is so much easier along this journey when we have each other's experiences to share along the way.

Sunshine x
    Official DMP Member No ... wait for it ... 180!!! :D
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2009 #397
    :jSuccessfully reclaimed Abbey bank charges under hardship criteria 22/05/09:j
  • A big hello to everyone! :beer:

Just wanted to pop on and say I hope you all have a lovely peaceful Christmas and even if you don't get that big sparkly diamond ring because you are on a DMP; you'll survive!! :D

It's the first Christmas we have had and not one present has been bought with credit, mind you I haven't got any credit cards, overdrafts or debit cards to use now so.......:rolleyes:

I'm actually looking forward to watching rubbish tv and pigging out on Quality Street on the big day. OH will wash up after dinner (he is well trained! ;) ) and enjoying spending time with my family. Without sounding too patronising that is what Christmas is all about isn't it?

I spend all year rushing to work, getting kids up for school, rushing back from work to shops and after school clubs and then having to sort all the DMP crap out lately and well, enough is enough, I'm having some 'me' time with family and I really hope all of you can switch off from debt just for a few days to enjoy Christmas.

Take care all of you

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    DMP support thread member 211 :cool:
    I'm only here to get some medals......honest! :D
  • maz1964
    maz1964 Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hello Sunshine

many thanks for the welcome back and merry christmas and a lucky 2009 to all

i too havent spent on any of my credit cards since oct 2007 over a year and yes its been a bit tough ole year this year, it has also made me learn a lot of lessons for myself and the family

but next year i hope to be in a bit of a stronger mindset and also i appreciate in a funny way how things have had to be forced into the open debt wise

i hope somehow our dd has learnt a few very hard lessons too about life and such

since the credit crunch, ive been finding a lot about my rights and while ive tried to be honest and upfront with all my creditors, some of them have turned very very nasty towards me and that in inself and made me search out my rights to a point its changed my whole way of looking at the debt im in.

What im trying to say is do what you have to do for your own family and dont get hounded by creditors, get as much advise as you can and get the help you deserve to live your life as best as you can and get out of the debt trap as fast as you can.

If nothing else, i dont want credit ever again, ive not incurred any more since oct 07(only still charges on some creditors and my first default and termination which im going to challenge -) so that in itself is pleasing, i just need to resolve issues around the debt ive got and that is my plan for 2009.

keep positve and from my year of troubles, i believe im a much stronger person now then i was last christmas, im going to enjoy christmas at a chilled out rate and focus on my debts from 1.1.09 onwards.

Have fun and keep yourselves safe and warm and learn as much as you can along this mad journey of ours to become debt free.

Happy holidays to all

laters maz :beer:
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 1525

"Knowledge is the Power to get Debt Free":j

Truecall device, stops all the unneccesary phone calls - my sanity has been restored and the peace in the house is truely priceless!:rotfl:
  • sam89
    sam89 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Brilliant post Maz, great to see you back :D .

I'm also on my second DMP Christmas and the presents are now under the tree :j . It's a smaller pile than in the past but it's all paid for with money we earned and I'm not going to be frightened to open the credit card bills in January :T .

:xmassign: to all DMPers, old and new, and a very happy, healthy 2009:xmastree: .

Sam,
    x.
    DMP Mutual Support Member 138
    :D Proud to have dealt with my debts :D
    :beer:DMP completed 1/11/13:beer:
  • hi.
    i just wanted to wish everyone a belated merry xmas and an early happy new year as i dont get on here very often.
    just received my cccs statement today and its still loads but not as much as last month so im happy.gone under 20 grand and soon under 19 so progress is being made.
    candygirl.....dont worry about the letters, they just try everything to get more money ....but they get the message in the end.keep ploddin on.more ppl than every will be doin what we are doin cos of the credit crunch so i think they are realising that even court does scare ppl and they have to be thankful that they are getting any money at all.
    if we all go b/rupt, they will get squat so any payments from cccs are a bonus.
    besides most of them have gone to the government for money to tide them over so in a way,its our money that we are payin back, iykwim...and we shouldnt owe anything....if only!!!!:)
    my neighbours have now got their karioke machine out and they have really good voices....NOT....
    some things are sent to try us.
    all the best,
    love ilgd...and springer spaniels.xxxxxx
    People bring great joy into our lives..some by arriving, others by leaving.im trying to be one of the former, so please bear with :)

LOVE ME, LOVE MY NEWFOUNDLAND.:A
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks ILGD I know you're right hun;)
    Candy (I love staffies):D :D:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Hi All, haven't been on and posted in a while so thought would pop back and say hello! :D I hope everyone had a nice xmas and I wish you all in advance a very happy new year!!

I had a letter on xmas eve from a company called Eversheds, who Sainsbury's have sold my debt too. It wasn't a great way to start xmas and the letter was quite threatening but after a call to the cccs my mind was at rest again. They have assured me that they will be doing everything they can to avoid me receiving a ccj/going to court by sending them my budget sheets etc but am still slightly worried. Am just trying to do my research and keep on top of it all. I must admit after a day at work I really cannot be bothered to go through things etc so am greatful for this short break over xmas to make sure that I am on top of everything.

My first dmp payment is due to start in January and just waiting to see from there how I get on. i'm on a low start dmp so my review will be quite soon after but already from sorting out my tax code (something which the cccs pointed out to me) i can make bigger payments and literally wipe around 8-9 years off my dmp (original debt free date quoted 2027 :( ) so that is quite good news but my student loan is due to start coming out in april so i have to take that in to account also.

I know this sounds silly but all of this I guess I should be worried about and sometimes when I think about it too much I do feel worried but I honestly do not feel as worried as i used to feel when I was paying my own debts without the help of cccs though as I feel with their help and help from people on here i'm not alone.

I am looking at claiming back some charges in the new year. I am just waiting for the payments to start and then I will look into this. I know for a fact that some of my creditiors are adding on charges for 'late' and 'missed' payments so to speak where I have made my token ones- can i claim this back? I hope I can as the idea of doing my plan was to pay my debts off not accrew more!! jeeze!

Anyways one nice thing to end on and something that I noticed a few of you have put is the fact that I didn't put one xmas present on a credit card!! It felt so liberating and refreshing to know that in the new year I will not have added more to my debts. I too managed to shop around and get some good deals, and where i felt i may have been buying too much I just simply left and thought actually i don't really need it. Amazing how you feel when it is your money you're spending and not the plastic! I think I still need to get used to budgeting as at the moment i find i may be spending less on the shopping and more on petrol etc or vice versa but i think it's balancing out. I am sure thinking about what I buy now before I buy it!!

Anyways that's enough from me for the time being.

xx DD

p.s may I have a member number? I don't think i'm in the list above :)
    Total debt at start of DMP: £20972.00
    First Payment: January 2009
    DMP Support number 298
    Hoping to become debt free with the help of fellow DMP mutual supporters! :T
  • Hi to everyone! :beer:

Hope you all had a good Christmas and enjoyed the soap christmas specials as much as I did! (yes I am that sad! :o ) Soon be time to fight the tree back in its box away for next year!

Looking forward to 2009, feel stronger now than when I first joined this site with the knowledge from you lot and this site regarding debt and what creditors can and cannot do. I understand the sickening feeling of being in debt and I hate it. OH and I have spent so much time going over what we did and how we spent the money and the same old question keeps popping up - WHY? :confused: We were in a better position financially back then, none of this penny pinching budgetting on a DMP like we are now, there was just no need for credit. I want to be like Cher 'if I could turn back time' yeah if only.......:rolleyes:

Forget dieting and stopping smoking for my New Years Resolutions :D My target is to claw back any money that has been 'stolen' from us over the years in late payments fees, missed payment fees, admin charges, overlimit fees and the dreaded ppi! ;) So ding ding round 2! :rotfl:

I'm using the template letters on this site to send and for the price of recorded delivery at £1.08 compared to what we could get back if successful is well worth the hassle. I think when you start up your DMP you get bogged down by all the jargon and your emotions but no more waiting around for us; It's time to fight back :D

Please wishme luck, I'm sooooo going to need it! ;)

take care xxx
    DMP support thread member 211 :cool:
    I'm only here to get some medals......honest! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills