Zero waste, plastic-free, MoneySaving Christmas

Comments

• I have switched to bar soap as well, and have tried shampoo bars but didn't like them much: the Lush ones that some people like contain palm oil derivatives and I choose not to buy anything containing palm oil, and my hair wasn't great with the other ones I tried. My compromise was to buy a 5litre bottle of clear, unscented shampoo from the Suma cooperative, who have pretty good environmental credentials. My reasoning is that one 5litre bottle uses less plastic than 20 X 250ml bottles, and that we could probably find a use for a large container, eg OH makes comfrey plant food so could use it for that. I don't think we could reuse 20 smaller plastic containers! It's really nice shampoo too and will last for ages, the lack of scent means that it's fine for both of us, so I consider that a win all round.
    Christmas wise, I have been looking at Furoshiki wrapping techniques on t'interweb and it seems quite easy, (famous last words!). Has anyone else tried this?
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • I know about Furoshiki but I have a ton of wrapping paper I bought reduced in the January sales so I'm going through this first.

I'd also like to use beeswax wraps instead of cling film when my cling film runs out but I send my kids to school with their food in tubs anyway (we seem to have gathered a lot of those!) so this wouldn't save much cling film and may take a while to recoup the cost unless I can think of another use for them.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • PS in case anyone's reading this shampoo bars are on my Christmas list :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Emmala
    Emmala Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    I'm afraid I don't use beauty products so the home-made recipes aren't my thing.

Saying that, though, I've switched from shower gel to handsoap. When the soap i already have runs out I'll only buy new ones that come in cardboard packaging. I tried to have a sneak peak at the Homesense section of soaps a couple of months ago to see which ones have plastic packaging inside the boxes and which are just box. Am I possibly taking this a bit far? :rotfl:

I've tried to convince the rest of the family to use soap recently but they're refusing. As I had several old ikea soaps hanging around I mushed them up in warm water, turned them into a liquid and poured them into a hand gel dispenser. The family's been using it no problem :rotfl:

I know what you mean about the soap packaging.....why put it in the box, wrapped in plastic? It’s annoying and so wasteful.
  • Emmala
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    I know about Furoshiki but I have a ton of wrapping paper I bought reduced in the January sales so I'm going through this first.

I'd also like to use beeswax wraps instead of cling film when my cling film runs out but I send my kids to school with their food in tubs anyway (we seem to have gathered a lot of those!) so this wouldn't save much cling film and may take a while to recoup the cost unless I can think of another use for them.

I was wondering about getting brown paper bags to put the kids sandwiches/rolls in rather than clingfilm. I’m not sure what the best option is. I have seen some cotton covers (a bit like shower caps!) for covering food/bowls etc instead of using cling/foil, so I’m going to investigate and get some of those for leftovers and the like.
  • Emmala
    I’ve just read on the Old Style forum about biodegradable cling film, had a quick search and Sains and WRose sell one so that might solve my sandwich wrapping issues, plus if I can buy it with a normal shop I won’t be having to order it for delivery which saves too.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cling film and tinfoil are two of my pet hates. The majority of the time reusable plastic tub is far more practical anyway.

If it's a bowl that's going in the fridge stick a plate over it (p.s. this means you can stack them too. For lunches just use small tubs.

I know I'm not perfect and I know there are things I do that I could improve on, but the fact other people don't seem to care at all really does make me sad. After I've had guests round I always end up taking things back out the bins which can be recycled etc And I think that's a big problem at Christmas in terms of people getting annoyed about you fussing over these things, and thinking you are over complicating things by no just throwing things away.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 December 2017 at 1:47AM
    Emmala wrote: »
    what if I want products in glass (as I’m more confident that these will be recycled than plastic)? There aren’t many glass options out there, even among more ‘green’ beauty companies.

Glass is massively more resource intensive to make and move around than plastic.

Here's some calculations:
    https://www.triplepundit.com/2007/03/askpablo-glass-vs-pet-bottles/

Swapping from plastic to glass is about as good for the environment as swapping a mini for a hummer.

Not to say plastics don't have any environmental downsides - mostly when badly disposed of however - but they have come to dominate modern life in part because they're cheap - and they're cheap because they use far less resources to perform the same tasks as glass, metal or paper/card. I mean, think about it, how much does a plastic bottle weigh compared to the same volume glass bottle. Hundreds of grams of glass vs a plastic bottle that is so light it barely registers on kitchen scales, and so thin you can crush it with your hand easily. Then compare the temperature glass/sand or steel/aluminium melt as vs the melting temperature of plastics. You can melt plastics just by holding a cigarette lighter near them - flame doesn't even need to touch it, glass and metals need serious equipment to melt. Forming plastic takes much less energy.

Of the options we have, I think plastics are the preferable material for packaging. I buy almost all items items either unpacked, or in plastic, and the end result is very little rubbish at the end of the week. When it comes to disposal, I bag them up properly and tie the bag tightly before they go in the rubbish. Don't want them to escape. My rubbish goes to a waste to energy power station where my one supermarket bag a week of mostly mixed plastic films, some paper and a few glass jars and plastic bottles is burnt to make electricity. I'm not too focused on rubbish though, it's not as big a deal as it can be presented as. Mostly I'm focused in minimising the amount of products I use. In every case I know of, products are vastly more resource intensive than their packaging. I buy concentrated products, use many reusable items, and try to make things last by using the effective amount rather than lots. A bottle of shampoo or shower gel lasts me months.

I suppose what I'm getting at is packaging gets too much focus. Using more efficient products and not over-using them matters more than the packaging. And if like me your rubbish goes to a waste to energy power plant, anything flammable is fine - and plastics burn well. For landfill, plastics are inert, crush well compared to other materials, and contain far less bulk of material as well. I wouldn't over focus on purging plastic from my life, but do dispose of it responsibly as it is bad when it gets free in to the environment.
  • For wrapping pretty much any food I use the bags from inside cereal boxes - they last for ages, are fine in the freezer, they are easy to wash and I've already bought them! My daughter and I have both been doing this for a while and it has drastically reduced the amount of cling film/foil/ plastic bags we use. As there's just OH and I at home, I buy a box of cereal probably less than once a week, but always have enough bags as they can be reused so many times.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Personally, I really don't care about any of this stuff. It's not on my radar at all.

If the planet isn't here in 100 years' time it won't be because I didn't take my own basket to the market this week .... it'll be because some big bugg4h pressed a button.

The biggest threat to society, life, humankind, the planet is ..... other people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure