Credit file

hi

Just checked my file and one of my debts MBNA is showing as defaulted and this was later sold on to arrow. so they both appear as default.

My IVA has now completed so I checked with MBNA if they would update my credit file, they said I had to wait until 6 years passed as they had sold the debt. the Default is 3 years after my IVA started so It will take another 3 years to clear

this isn't right is it, I would assume as mbna was in my original IVA they are bound by those terms?

any advice would be great

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi emmiebelle

A default on a debt that has been included in an IVA should be recorded no later than the start of the IVA. If both MBNA and Arrow have registered a default (which the debt collection can do as long as they use the same date as the original creditor) later than the start of the IVA you need to make a complaint to both of them.

The complaint is best done in writing, if they refuse to correct the entry on your credit file take your complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO’s job is to make sure companies follow the law with regards to data protection, this includes information about you being recorded in the correct way.

The IVA will drop off your credit file 6 years after it started, and the debts with defaults will drop off 6 years after the date of the default. Good luck getting it sorted out.

Susie
    @natdebltine
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure