Frump to Fab 2016 - Lets make it AWESOME!!!

Options

Comments

• ScarlettMcCain
    Options
    Have you thought of trying ceroc, indiepanda? I wanted to take up salsa too but encountered the same problems as you - not enough classes with decent men! - but ceroc is a lot more gender balanced and friendlier, IMO. Plus there are loads of venues to choose from, you can try a few till you find one you like; it's usually only about £10 for a great night out if you're not drinking! I would really recommend it, I've met so many great people (including my OH!) from all different age groups.

I'm still plodding along with the weight loss, nearly a stone and a half down now but still 5 lb to lose before I'm not technically overweight. Pah! But, I am feeling better about myself in general, especially when the babies sleep through (very occasionally!).

Interested to read everyone's recommendations of the Body Shop Vitamin E eye cream - I prefer gel but my Olay one has just run out, maybe I'll give this one a try instead.

I do agree about it being very difficult to find a diet that meets all current schools of thought; one of the reasons I didn't like Weight Watchers was that it had such a large range of products, the diet seemed to be mainly aimed at making you buy loads of them as you couldn't eat much otherwise!

Off to try to get organised for the day, have a great week everyone :)
    Finally debt free!! March 2018 :j
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you thought of trying ceroc, indiepanda? I wanted to take up salsa too but encountered the same problems as you - not enough classes with decent men! - but ceroc is a lot more gender balanced and friendlier, IMO. Plus there are loads of venues to choose from, you can try a few till you find one you like; it's usually only about £10 for a great night out if you're not drinking! I would really recommend it, I've met so many great people (including my OH!) from all different age groups.

I'm still plodding along with the weight loss, nearly a stone and a half down now but still 5 lb to lose before I'm not technically overweight. Pah! But, I am feeling better about myself in general, especially when the babies sleep through (very occasionally!).

Interested to read everyone's recommendations of the Body Shop Vitamin E eye cream - I prefer gel but my Olay one has just run out, maybe I'll give this one a try instead.

I do agree about it being very difficult to find a diet that meets all current schools of thought; one of the reasons I didn't like Weight Watchers was that it had such a large range of products, the diet seemed to be mainly aimed at making you buy loads of them as you couldn't eat much otherwise!

Off to try to get organised for the day, have a great week everyone :)

Well done on the weight loss so far. I think I still count as "obese" on the old BMI scale rather than just "overweight" so I have way further to go. Although given there's evidence people who are "overweight" live longer than people of supposedly "healthy" weight, I am a bit skeptical about the whole BMI thing.

My main focus is whittling my waist down as I can't find anywhere that says fat around the middle is anything but a bad thing for health.

I have thought about ceroc before - did one or two classes about 12 years ago. Probably made the mistake of getting put off by an overkeen guy I met just there just after I had split from my ex who I went on a few dates with. Hadn't thought about whether the male / female split was better but on reflection you might have a point there.

I might give salsa a last go as I found a class in central London that looked good, but if I find myself having to play a man or twiddle my thumbs waiting for a guy I will investigate ceroc too.

I tried weight watchers in the past but the number of products they try to shift is really offputting - and none of them are exactly healthy - low in calorie perhaps but about as far as you can get from real food as it possible.

I am off to the chiropodist later today, get my feet sorted before my next overseas holiday in two and a half weeks. Will be quite an active one so want them nice and soft before I go and not in danger of cracking. I think they've got beyond the point my local beautician can sort, but once I have been I can schedule a pre-holiday pedicure.

Got to stay home for at least part of today - got a replacement fitbit coming. It's the second one I have had that's malfunctioned but at least fitbit are good about replacing them for free.

Dad is planning to come up and fit a stair rail he made me for Christmas after my last little slide down the stairs but it depends if Mum calms down after she has been to the dentist - she doesn't leave the house very much as it is and any appointments make her anxious. Though Dad tells me she's been getting a bit better lately - been doing some clearing out and getting him to take stuff to the charity shop which was something that took forever for her to get round to doing when she wasn't in the midst of one of her depressive episodes. Just hoping she continues to improve.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 April 2016 at 3:17PM
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies

Feeling exasperated.......

Just popped to the dentist for a check up. Have to go back tomorrow for 4 fillings........my teeth are the bane of my life.

Wednesday Physio and then Thrisday the procedure to my face. One way or another a painful week. :o plus of course the bank balance will take a hammering. Fancy paying to be tortured.:rotfl:

Next week chiropodist then hopefully we are done on the "maintenance". Just need to book a hair appt.

Just had a healthy lunch and then going to "shabby chic" an old pine headboard. I sanded it down yesterday so I'm ready to go.

Last night I spent a happy evening online shopping. Cream fascinator and clutch bag to wear with my blue dress and jacket for the church service in Barcelona, a fuscia pashmina and a silver grey fascinator to wear with the grey dress for the UK ceremony and a lilac/grey lace dress "just because" ........it was a bargain. :rotfl:

I think I'm ok for shoes although I have my eye on a silver grey pair in my little shoe shop that's closing down. I will have a look tomorrow and see if they are reduced yet.

Holding steady on the weight but losing inches. 2 inches off my waist so that's got to be good news.

Ruby. Well done on the Weight loss. How old are your babies now. I bet they keep you busy.

Indie - sounds like a lovely weekend. The jewellery treats sound fab.

Sugarbaby - glad the romance is going well. Do we need hats.......:rotfl:

Another vote for body shop Vit E cream here. :D
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    indiepanda wrote: »

I have thought about ceroc before - did one or two classes about 12 years ago. Probably made the mistake of getting put off by an overkeen guy I met just there just after I had split from my ex who I went on a few dates with. Hadn't thought about whether the male / female split was better but on reflection you might have a point there.

I might give salsa a last go as I found a class in central London that looked good, but if I find myself having to play a man or twiddle my thumbs waiting for a guy I will investigate ceroc too.

Indie
    I received this article the other day, no idea if this part of London would be accessible to you, but the classes seem to take into account the normal lack of male partners. (You need to scroll down a few paragraphs)

This company is the one that I have been buying the make-up for "ladies of a certain age" from, their tutorials are great for me too. Tricia is the founder. (Not suggesting that you need to read:( I think that LL and I are probably the only 2 that would meet the market aimed for:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Indie
    I received this article the other day, no idea if this part of London would be accessible to you, but the classes seem to take into account the normal lack of male partners. (You need to scroll down a few paragraphs)

Sounds like a nice idea and given you are paying for an expert to dance with you £60 per lesson is probably a fair price, but a bit too expensive for my tastes. Think will give the groups a go and see how many men turn up.

Although the way my knee has been grumbling the last few days I might have to wait a while. I went to see the chiropodist today, really just to get some callouses dealt with, and he asked if I had been experiencing any pain in my left knee - which I have - he thinks I have some issues in my big toe that might be causing it. Anyway, I am going back next week for a biomechanical assessment so will see what he thinks when he gets a closer look.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chanie - I would agree never to early to start using eye cream as long as it is the correct type for your age and skin type. This was something I left too late, I have quite hooded eyes and the skin pulls out of shape easily:eek:

LL- you have a busy week planned, wishing you all the best for Thursday.

Today I have had an Osteopath's session on my stiff and painful jaw and a long overdue haircut and highlights, the treatment was painful, but necessary and the hairdo very joy giving, I now have hot pink, hot purple and lavender highlights in my grey and silver hair, it looks so sophisticated, but sadly I cannot style it as well myself:(

I am still experimenting with my make up and have a new eye primer and blusher to try, I need to watch the eye make up tutorials some more, but am improving slightly:)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LL no need for a hat, well not yet! :rotfl:

I had my 3rd date with my new man at McDonald's, my choice. He spent a lot of money on the previous 2 dates and my money saving instincts kicked in for the 3rd date. He is very generous and caring, but having been single for more than 20 years, I am used to looking after the pennies. :) He was shocked that I only wanted a 6 nuggets medium meal. We talked about money a lot again, as I know it is important for the both of us to know where the other stands. He does save money regularly as do I. Once again we both found lots to talk about and laughed together a lot. He wants to look after me, but accepts that I like to be independent and rely on myself. I wore a long sleeved v neck plum coloured velour top with a black skirt, my black patent leather Van Dal sling backs and silver jewellery and my Ingersoll watch. No make up or nail polish, !!! it would feel like overkill just for a mid week visit to McDonald's. :rotfl:

He has big plans for my Birthday on Friday, so I feel even more excited than I usually do each year. :j

I like him a little more each time we spend time together. :)

We are quite different, but yet we are working. I am taking it slowly and just seeing where it leads.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a very expensive time for you lately LL but I'm sure it will all be worth it.:)

Glad to hear all is well with you too sugarbaby. You really don't need to spend a lot of money to enjoy each others company. I often tease my DH that he bought us fish and chips for our wedding anniversary last year!:rotfl:It is true but not because he wouldn't take me to a fancy restaurant, it was just what I wanted and a real treat as I usually avoid fish in batter although I love it. One of my favourites on a nice day is to go to the seaside (Lyme Regis in particular), buy fish and chips and eat them overlooking the sea. Bliss.

I don't think I could wear no make up though. I'd have to wear at least some mascara.

I'm loving reading the posts sugarbaby and how exciting to have a birthday treat coming up.

I had my Groupon massage and facial yesterday and it was excellent. I'm not expecting a lasting effect but I came out feeling I'd had a wonderful time, been pampered and as relaxed as if I'd had a night's sleep. I know I looked better too, from being relaxed rather than the potions and lotions. I must look out for another one.

Not sure what I'm doing with the rest of the day but the weather's great so whatever I do will feel good. Hope the sun shines on you all too.:)
  • ScarlettMcCain
    Options
    I hope everything goes well tomorrow LL :)

The babies have just turned six months, between the weight loss and doing my exercise DVDs (big fan of the Jillian Michaels ones and I also have Davina 'Fit in 15') I do feel a lot better. I didn't think anyone had noticed but both yesterday and today friends that I hadn't seen for ages told me they could tell I'd lost weight, which was nice :D unfortunately I also found out that our local Body Shop has closed down, so no eye cream for me today!!

Hope you get your knee sorted soon indiepanda and enjoy dancing when you can!
    Finally debt free!! March 2018 :j
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sugar pleased that your new relationship is going from strength to strength and loving the mcdonalds.

maman glad your groupon facial was nice. My mum bought me and OH a spa day in a London hotel. The spa area was tiny and the products they used in our facials left our faces red. It was cheap, but not worth it. However, my groupon laser hair removal has been brilliant.

ruby that's bad new about your local body shop. I thought every high street had them. I think there is a 30% code somewhere, so if you order online, it may work out cheaper.

Things are good with me, have kept up with the fabbing. I've had quinoa for lunch for a couple of days this week (except today as I needed a day off). I mix it with various salad veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers, beetroot, lettuce, plus ham. It's not too bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure